New DD1 freezes a lot

Hey there!

So I recently purchased the DD1 + clubsport pedals + 1.5 shifter.

It came quickly, no complains here. Just the DD1 is unusable. After receiving it, I updated all the drivers and firmwares. I head into a game and played for a few minutes until it happened the first time:

"Attention: Enable high torque?"

The message kept popping up and disabling FFB. It happens every minute, sometimes every 5. After maybe 3 times, the DD1 just freezes up. No button inputs, no steering input, nothing. I have to pull the plug.

I tried different firmware / driver combinations. Currently I am on:

PC 381

WB 680

Witrh this older driver, the issue is similar. First, the messages pops up some times. But then, the DD1 screen goes black and the "Fanatec Firmware Updater" on my PC starts. It has connected to the CSLE WRC rim and preselected the firmware for it. It apparently wants me to flash it. Doing so makes no difference either.

I am on PC, using VR and the CSL elite steering wheel WRC.

Is this a hardware issue with the DD1? I tried unplugging/ replugging the plugs inside the motor shaft. I tried grounding my whole setup. I tried different usb ports.

/E: I tried wiggling the power plug and the USB plug, no effect. I tried disconnecting my VR hardware, no effect. The problem is that the DD1 loses connection to the RIM. Whenever it happens, a STOP sign appears where the RIM is displayed in the fanatec firmware signaling that there is no rim connected. I don't have bent pins. My rim is connected securely. Wiggling and shaking the rim does not result in a disconnect.

Comments

• Is the wheel attached properly to the base? Do you have another steering wheel to try?

The CSL WRC wheel should only work on the low torque setting.

• edited February 2021

The base is in low torque setting. It does not make a difference if the torque key is used or not. The wheel is attached properly, I triple checked. Unfortunately I currently do not have another wheel to try.

• edited February 2021

Looks like a wheel connection issue. Try to check if the small allen bolts holding the pins on the steering wheel are tight.

In the mean time try to contact support as well through your account, under your products tab.

That the updater turns on by itself looks strange.

• I already tightened those bolts, but they were tight to begin with. I can not replicate the issue by pushing, pulling or twisting the steering wheel.

I plugged the DD1 in the only USB 3.1 v2 port I have and I played two ~1 hour sessions. It worked until just now. The message "Attention: Enable torque?" kept popping up every few seconds now. It's weird.

• After the last post I waited for about an hour and played again. It immediately started to freeze and continued so. I then changed the power plug to an outlet in the wall - no extension cable. Made no difference. I then chose another ground for the setup, I had it on the heater pipes before, but I put the ground wire into the ground of my wall outlet. It worked, I suppose.

I just played some hours of heated rally without an issue whatsoever. The experience (when it works) is amazing. I will report back if it stays this way.

• I tried updating the firmware to the latest again. Same grounding, same wall socket. Doesn't work. Torque warning constantly.

Also, I just lowered FFB and turned the wheel over the maximum steering limit. The DD1 screen instantly went black and the firmware updater popped up on my PC. Maybe that's a hint?

• Just received the universal hub and installed it on the DD1 using an aftermarket wheel. First test and everything seems to be fine. Might be a faulty wheel.

• Dennis, did switching to a different wheel resolve your issue? I am having symptoms that seem to match yours very closely... and am wondering if replacing the wheel was the solution or if you needed to go further.

For reference, here are my symptoms:

• I have a fairly new DD1 w/ WRC wheel, I can play for a while sometimes and other times I can only play a minute or two before I lose FFB and if I peek out of VR I can see the message "Attention: Enable high torque?".
    • Sometimes it also results in a full lockup of the buttons on the steering wheel (so I am unable to Press the "OK" button and re-enable torque, but can keep driving if I want), but the steering wheel itself still works, albeit without FFB.
    • A few times it has resulted in a full crash of the DD1 and just leaves me with a blank podium display and a red light on the center tape thing on the WRC wheel.
    • Sometimes it bizzarely triggers a firmware update for the wheel, but I think it is just flashing the same version of the firmware over and over again.
    • I've tried different power outlets and various USB ports, plus reseated the wheel a number of times and gave the bolts on the wheel a tightening (they didn't need it though).... also lowering the torque to a very low level (like 15%) doesn't seem to help. It loses torque in very non-torquey situations sometimes... but then other very torquey situations do often seem to be triggers.
    • Whether I use the torque key or not, it doesn't matter, the podium is always in low torque mode (as expected with the WRC wheel).
    • So far I have only played Assetto Corsa with the wheel, but I do own other racing games... I should test to see if the results are different....

Anyway, I am hoping the problem completely lies within the wheel itself. I ordered the Clubsport Porsche 918 RSR wheel as a replacement for the low torque WRC wheel. So I am interested in whether changing the wheel out was a solution for you.

• Did anyone get this resloved? I'm having the exact same problem. I have put a service ticket through so will see what comes of it. This is ridiculous considering what I spent on this gear.