CSL DD operating temperatures, and heat limits.

Hey there.

I have a question I can't find reliable answers to, and some concrete numbers from Fanatec engineering staff would help the decision of my purchase.

I live in a particularly hot area, the Southwest American desert where 40-42C (and up to 45-48 during the worst weeks!) is common from late Spring to early Autumn. To keep our power bills reasonable we keep our house relatively hot during the summer months. From late May through late September my indoor ambient conditions are usually 30-32 celsius (87-90F) from 3PM until 8 or 9 PM.

Since the DD's body is the heatsink, it would be great if I could get the operating temperatures of the unit. Specifically, the ambient temperature of the room the unit is tested in, and the outside case temperature of the DD's heatsink body, during 8Nm power use. This is so I can get a general expectation of the temperature difference between a DD unit in high power mode and the room's air.

Basically I'd like to know if the DD's case could get beyond a "safe" contact range when used at 8Nm power for long durations, and hope Fanatec can provide me with real test temperatures of the room and the DD's case.

If Fanatec staff could find this info and share it, it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Craig M

Comments

• Rich RaquelRich Raquel Member
    edited June 2021

Chris Haye covers this subject here! Pasted the video below with the correct timestamp

• So a 16C room-to-DD difference should be expected when using the 8Nm 180w power supply?

• A fan would definitely help to keep moving air over the heatsink as otherwise you would be expecting a temperature of 48-50degC?

The DD1 and DD2 has an "Operating room temperature of 15-35degC." Respective manuals on page 40 (DD1) and 42 (DD2). Apparently if the temperature exceeds the upper limit, the motor will shut down on its own.

I would presume the CSL DD would also have a temperature sensor and a cut-off. Will need to refer to the manual when it is out.

• I'd appreciate a concrete answer for the (exterior) operating temp of the CSL DD's case/heatsink, relative to the room's temperature.

Given my somewhat unique and extreme environmental circumstances, if the unit will exceed 50C (exterior) in my 30-32C room, I am 100% ok with that, I'd just like to know what to expect so there are no surprises.

• both the motor and the electronics have a temperature limit of 120°C. Before this happens however, you would need 50°C ambient and play at 100% FFB for hours.

• I had asked because of the "human factor".

Well I have seen from a review that the unit gets into the 40s C at an 18-20C room temp. If a 20+ C delta, then my house's summer temperatures will let the unit get hot enough for (really, really minor) discomfort and skin burns.

I'd rather know that a DD can get that hot ahead of time than find out later.