Which are buttons 7 and 8 on steering wheel mclaren gt3?

edited August 2021 in Steering Wheels

This week I got the mclaren gt3 wheel home and when playing f1 2021 buttons 7 and 8 I don't know what they are and I need them to change tabs.

Can someone help me please?

Comments

• #8 is the neutral button, the "N" button. Not seeing a button #7. If you can remap the controls, that will probably be your best bet.

• Thanks for both answers, but on my wheel the "N" button is 9 and the "P" is 10 for f1 2021 game

Unfortunately the game menu buttons cannot be reassigned.

• Jack PickettJack Pickett Member
    edited August 2021

I don't own the McLaren wheel and I just examined the owners manual I suggested you download.

It doesn't appear to have a button 7 and 8.

Also, I notice some Fanatec wheels start numbering at 0 instead of 1. That why it shows up in a PC as "N" button is 9 and the "P" is 10 instead of 8 and 9 as in the manual.

• William OtisWilliam Otis Member
    edited August 2021

WOW! That is a shame on both accounts. Why doesn't the manual agree with reality? That is a big error on Fanatec's part. And why did they skip functions 7 & 8? That's an even bigger blunder.

And then, why in the year 2021, where not everyone has the venerable Ferrari SF1000 wheel from Thrustmaster; why aren't the controls on the game reassign-able? That truly makes no sense!

It looks like foresight is in short supply, these days.

(About the button assignments I shared... I pulled the manual out of the box instead of going to the PDF Jack Pickett posted. I just checked the PDF and both sources seem say the same thing. I'm also not using the wheel rim at the moment. I'm waiting on the CSL DD to arrive.)

Edit note: Wrong Thrusty's wheel name. Corrected.

• edited August 2021

I will contact Fanatec support to see what they say

• I'm having the same problem. Any news from Fanatec Support?

• Nothing, fanatec support says that the problem is in the game and to change the settings in the game, but I can't change the menu button settings

• edited August 2021

Classic Fanatec. They release a wheel "missing" two buttons, buttons 6 and 7. I love their products, hate their customer service and software.

I figured out what happened. Look at the mapping for the V1 version of the McLaren wheel: https://fanatec.com/media/pdf/46/0d/7d/QuickGuide-for-CSL-Elite-McLaren-GT3.pdf

Then compare with the V2:

https://fanatec.com/media/pdf/96/9f/a3/CSL-E-SWRMcL-V2-QG-EN_Web_08_MO.pdf

The V1 had all buttons 1 through 12, with 7 and 8 being the two up/down toggle switches for up position, i.e, up on left toggle was button 8 and up on right toggle was number 7. The down positions in these toggles were numbered 32 and 31, respectively.

In the V2 Fanatec numbered the up position on the toggles 32 and 33 and the down 31 and 30.

And this, boys and girls is how the Fanatec CSL Elite McLaren V2 wheel became a wheel "missing" two buttons.

So what's happening with F1 2020 and F1 2021 is that the preset is for the V1 of the McLaren wheel, not for the V2.

• Jack PickettJack Pickett Member
    edited August 2021

Good detective work, and also another example of the confusion of the v2 numbering starting at zero (0=button X), and the v1 starting at one (1=button X). It would be simple enough for Fanatec to re-issue the manuals and pick one numbering system or another. Preferably starting at 1 since that's how all the games I've seen interpret the button presses. Actually not really a problem when one is aware of it.

BTW, have you tried Compatibility mode in the Fanatec wheel base to see if it fixes the button 7/8 issue? All the Fanatec wheels I own have 7/8.

• Thanks Jack. I'm on a CSW 2.5, sso not sure if there is another compatibility mode I may try? I have also a CS Elite P1 Wheel, it does have buttons 1 through 1 through 12, no gaps.

• I’m having the exact same issue. Did anybody find a solution to this?

• edited December 2021

I got samme issue for my F1 2021, I cant rebind the game menu buttons, and I find the setting files for Fanatec in steamapps

And it all says button 7 and 8, which the mclaren wheel is not programmed with.... only 31 and 32

Any solution for this? Cant browse ingame tabs with this wheel..