CSL DD kills tracking of my Valve Index

Hello.

It seems like the base EMI is killing my VR headset tracking.

As soon as I power the base on and touch my HMD, it immediately loses tracking. It is rock stable with the wheel base turned off.

Is there any possible solution to this, please?

My rig is grounded, I may try to ground the base itself too.

It had worked flawlessly wirh the CSW2.5 I switched from.

Comments

• Hi, unfortunately i have no solution, but a similar problem. Since i switched from my CLS Elite to the CSL DD two days ago, everytime i power the DD on strange things happen to my USB devices.

1: My usb soundcard stops working every few minutes. If i disconnect and reconnect it, it works again for a random amount of minutes. I never had any Problem like this before and it does not occur when the wheelebase is switched off.

2: My 3rd party usb button box is frequently "pressing" any buttons, every time the CSL DD ist powerd on. So ingame all parameters controlled by this buttonbox like traction control or headlights are frequently changed or activated. I just made the test. Started acc whis the base switched off and parked the car and waited for 20 minutes. Nothing happend. Then powered on the CSL DD and after 5 minutes traction control changed from 6 to 2 and the light was activated and deactivated for allmost 4 times. Taking a look in the device settings i can see that the buttons or better the signal is triggered for milliseconds at a random frequency. Sometimtes a few seconds sometimes even minutes.

3: Same with my 3rd party usb pedals. A 100% brakesignal gets triggered for milliseconds.

Could this be a grounding problem? I have no clue. Maybe anyone can help.

• edited August 2021

A large electro motor will always cause interference. You said your rig is grounded, if so make sure that there is an unobstructed path from the base to the grounding point so no rubber or plastic parts inbetween as these work as isolators. Also where are you grounding to, do you have a piggytail on the groundwire of a power cable or do you have a dedicated earthing point (any piece of unpainted iron connected to the house will work). Hope this helps, if you have any questions let me know!

• UK wall electrical plugs have a ground wire. Are you in the UK? If not, do you have a ground wire in your household electrical connection? Just got to connect a wire to your ground point.

I have a wall plug which has only ground, which I connect to myself, when I have to mess about with my computer components

• OK, after digging out the depths of Internet, I realized this is quite a common issue with lighthouses and direct drive bases. 3 my driving friends have exactly the same issues with DD1 and Index.

Looks like there is inducted EMI which lighthouses are very sensitive to. I found a solution from the guy who invented lighthouse systems for Valve: creating coils on ferite cores with the Index / Vive cable. I have orderer them toroids and also some classic axial chokes, I hope this will solve it.

• I have the same issue

• ///////SOLVED////////

I made an EMI suppression filter (see photos) and placed it on the Index cable. Zero tracking issues since then.

I used these ferrite cores. Tried other too but they did not work.

https://www.conrad.cz/p/tdk-b64290l40x830-feritove-jadro-krouzek-povrstvene-kabelu-max-392-mm-601-mm-vnejsi-1-ks-500731?utm_source=Order_confirmation&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=500731

• I just ordered 2 of these and we'll see if it works. I only have an issue when I touch some parts of the HMD like the button or the front part. It's definitely an EMI issue and those should be resolvable by an big ferrite choke.

• Here is my final solution. Completely issue-free now.

• @Victor Janeba: I will name a dish prepared with beef after you! Love you mate! Thanks