CLS DD becomes coggy

CLS DD is smooth at startup of the base. But after about two hours, it becomes coggy.. Like a belt driven wheel and it is not smooth anymore... As if the magnets got thousands of volts stored in them.. When I turn the wheel, it's stepping/cogging all the way around... If I RESTART the wheelbase, everything is smooth again. But after a while it becomes un-smooth... Can anyone verify this for me? Play with it a few hours and see.. I'm using power boost

I have tested every driver since 410, aswell as firmwares and motor drivers. The issue is persistent on ALL drivers...

Comments

• Does the same thing or something similar happen to someone else? could be caused by EMIs?

• Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator

Hi Fernando,

Is this something you're noticing on all sims? There is an issue with rFactor 2 that can cause this behaviour.

[Fanatec Community Manager]

• edited September 2021

Hi Dominic, thank you for your answer. This happpens to me in iRacing which is the simulator i use, I have hardly tried it in other’s, so I couldn’t tell you if it also happens

Ok that's interesting. Is it a gradual increase over the course of two hours, or is it fine for two hours and then suddenly it starts to do it?

A suggestion from R&D: try running with the 'DPR' Tuning Menu setting on 'Off' and see if it still happens.

• The failure, after a period of use, appears suddenly. The time to appear depends on the level of FFB required from the base. Although it is difficult to explain I try. If I drive the LMP2 - a car with high FFB hard on hungaroring - a circuit with long slow curves with high demand for FFB - it appears earlier than if I carry the dallara F3 in watkings glen, although it always ends up appearing. once it appears, if you restart the base, in principle it works fine, but after a minute the fault appears again.

i will try running with the DPR setting in off… Thank you

Two points you made there suggest it is heat related. Firstly that it happens faster when the base is generating high levels of holding torque, and that it comes back a minute after you restart the base. CSL DDs are passively cooled and barely get above 'warm' even during stress tests. Perhaps there is a unique issue with your unit that is preventing it from dissipating heat.

• It is possible that it is caused by heat, I thought about it, although I don't think so, the base is not hot at all, and I have a large fan pointed at the base. I also tried to turn the DPR setting to off and although at first it seemed to be working, the error occurred in the end. Update to new 415 driver and new firmware, and it keeps happening

Then I think you should contact support for a replacement base. It would be important for us to get your unit back for further tests.

• I have gotten an RMA from the technical service. Thanks for your help

• Be interesting to know what the issue turns out to be.

• pls do post here if you know what the actual problem was. but if Fanatec requests you to send your unit back and they just replace it, then we won't know the cause.

• I do not know the cause of the problem and from fanatec, I think neither, I suppose they will investigate it when they receive the base, and I, to be honest, I prefer that they change the base and that they investigate with this defective as long as they want

• Something like this just happened to me right now.

It was middle of the race in ACC (something like 30 minutes, and I had 40 mins of practice/quali before) when the base started to feel... hard to describe it. Like if it was constant small buzzer or tiny vibrator. Did not hear anything weird but the feel was present in the wheel. Like if I was fighting against small force which oscilates with high frequency. Thought it was graining of my tyres, but I drove on that set after the race and the feeling was completely gone. Same track, same setup, same tyres.

The base was warm after the race. Not exactly hot, but I think warmer than anytime before.

The feeling is completely gone now again.

• Hola.

Fernando si ves que no funciona correctamente haz una reclamación directamente desde el portal de Fanatec, en mí caso en concreto me llego la base con un problema (en concreto parecía estar destrozada por dentro, si agitabas la base sin estar acollada sonaba como un sonajero por dentro) y te la cambian por otra. El cambio dura unas dos semanas pero la que tengo ahora funciona correctamente.

Un cordial saludo.

• Si enviada a servicio técnico y cambiada sin problemas. Esta nueva funciona perfectamente

Gracias