CSL DD Firmware Update Failed, now it wont power on

Hello,

I received my CSL DD this morning (10/22/21). The McLaren wheel updated with no issues. But when the base tried to update with the latest firmware there was a failure during the update. At which point the CSL DD was just blinking blue.

However after an hour the base was still blinking blue and appeared that no update was actually going on. After trying serval times to to restart the update or reset anything I tried a hard restart. At that point the base would no longer turn on. I've attempted to hold the power button for 10 seconds in order to start it in boot mode while connected to my PC but all it does is just slowly spins the McLaren wheel until the top of the wheel is at the 8 o'clock position. then it stops and nothing else happens.

Is there anything else that I should try? I've submitted a help ticket, but it says that they could respond sometime in the next 7 days...

Thanks,

Jake

Comments

• Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator

Hi Jake,

I see that the support team is already assisting you with an RMA.

I'm sure you'll be back up and running soon.

[Fanatec Community Manager]

• I had mostly the same issue except that I was able to power the base backup after the firmware update failed.

After contacting support (very fast response) I had to update firmware using my laptop.

Been great ever since.

• R.MayerR.Mayer Member
    edited October 2021

Have here exactly the same, in the update log window an error is displayed, but the update process just continues and still deletes the installed firmware although the new firmware is not available that is simply bad programming! After more than half an hour of blue blinking without progress I switched off PC and Base. The base now can not be switched on, how should it without firmware.....

After more than 4 months of waiting for the delivery, the part worked just 2 days. What a drama!

• Hi Jacob, I have the same issue now after receiving mine last week. Did you have to send it back? Thanks

• As I have the same issue would it be best to contact fanatec on Monday via the chat on their website or calling them between 2-4pm?

• Hi have the same. Any updates or help so far? I regret the firmware update so much ...

thank you,

Günther

• did you receive a special firmware flashing software? or the standard one from the webpage? Would be great if you could share the link. thank you, Günther

• I don't think so, as long as the base is in bootloader mode (LED flashing blue) you can try to flash a new firmware. It doesn't matter if you install an older or a newer firmware. The important thing is that the base remains switched on. You can boot and shutdown the PC or disconnect the Base from the PC - that's not the problem. But if you have switched off the base, and the old firmware is already deleted, then it's over, the base can no longer be brought into the bootloader mode as a normal user. Technician can of course because otherwise you would have a chicken and egg problem. :-). Would be interesting to know how they do it. (perhaps via the virtual serial COM5 port in the device manager / hidden devices) Good luck for Monday (attention holiday in Bavaria) could be that we still have to wait until Tuesday. It's a shame....😥