CSL DD PREP - HOW TO NOT BRICK IT

Hey everyone,

My CSL DD has shipped and is in bound, finally!!

In preparation now for it I am looking for more information on what NOT to do when getting it to prevent myself from accidently bricking it.

I have read about a lot of people doing the updates wrong kr something going wrong but is there actually clear information on what NOT to do?

I would hate to get it and to just brick it immediately.

Comments

• David ChiengDavid Chieng Member
    edited November 2021

The thing is we do not know what "those that bricked it" actually did other than they just download driver and tried to install a new firmware. Really not sure if it is their PC that caused the bricking process, whether they had anti-virus running in the background or illegal software or whatever running in the background which may have caused the firmware upgrade to stall.

When I got my CSL DD, I had already downloaded driver 415 and installed it in my PC. (My CSL DD is not connected to my PC)

Ran driver 415 to have a look around and of course no base or wheel or anything detected.

I am using Windows 10 Home which has been really stable.

I made sure nothing is running in the background. No anti-virus too.

CSL DD with wheel already connected and pedals connected to base. I only ever once removed my McLaren wheel GT3 V2 to check all pins are straight, then just re-attach the wheel in the same way.

Connect base to PC using USB on the i/o panel of the motherboard.

Turn on base.

Ran 415 and followed all instructions to update firmware for all base, motor and wheel.

That is it. Did not upgrade firmware to 423. Now thinking if I should upgrade to 426?

I would even go as far as taking my PC offline when updating the firmware. 🙄 Just to make sure nothing is running in the background.

• Hey David,

I hear you and completely understand what you mean yeah. Thank you though for your details message as to what you did and the fact that you succeeded in this gives me hope and some great advice to follow so thank you for that! I will follow that advice!

• Bad firmware updates and connecting the cables wrong are the things that are going to brick it. Drivers will not brick a device. DO NOT update firmware unless neccessary, as in Fanatec, not a youtuber tells you to or you have issues.

• +1. have a look at the changelog to see if there is anything you need for your equipment in the new firmware before deciding to update it.

• I'm sure I watched an official Fanatec YT video about the CSL DD where they go through the initial setup process and they encourage you to update the firmware upon arrival. I might be wrong but that's what I seem to remember.

• I'd just received mine last weekend, replacing an Elite, and had no problems updating the firmware. In case too many folks think there's some major problem going on, there are several others I know who have not had issues.

Already had the specified 4xx drivers installed. Hooked up the DD cabling same way as my old Elite. I have V3 pedals and connect via USB for the better calibration setup. Win10 Pro latest update, I also don't run irffb or any other stuff besides WMR/SteamVR, Fanalab, CC, TP, RaceLabs, and OBS when driving — it's a dedicated iRacing-only box with the bare minimums installed.

Connected my Formula V2 wheel, turned it on and the old calib app launched the "new" interface since the DD isn't recognized by the old version. Firmware update (MANDATORY!) was handed off to the existing interface, which showed all Fanatec devices (I have the H shifter as well) as having the latest firmware, no issues updating.

Only downside so far is having to recalibrate wheel/pedals/shift in iRacing for each car I've driven, but only takes a couple minutes of course. The difference from the Elite to DD (8W boost) is like night and day, seriously happy with it.

• I received my CSL DD today and used windows with bootcamp updating the firmware.

Walk in the park - really easy and straight forward. Installed the newest driver, connected the hardware and just clicked on update. Though being a little nervous everything worked out.

• I had to update the firmware using a different computer. I don’t know why or what the difference is between my laptop and pc but it worked.