CSL DD Feels coggy / AC on Xbox Series X

Hi Forum,

so i got to try out my new CSL DD base over the weekend and I am not sure if it is supposed to feel like this. I am on driver 429 and the boost kit and i mainly played Assetto Corsa on the xbox. I copied all the recommended settings but the wheel feels coggy from the get go. I was expecting it to be super smooth but it feels more like my old 2.5 Base. Especially in long corners with high g forces it is anything but smooth. Also, on the occasional dirtdrop (one wheel only) there is a super hard jolt to be felt in the wheel, accompanied by a loud clank. Could this be clipping? And is there a way to check if the wheel is clipping on console? Last question since i am new to DD-Bases: When i start up the wheel it no longer does the rotation thing the old base did. It only moves to the left bit, and the does a quarter rotation to the right. I suppose that is normal, right?

Thank you for helping out an old idiot ;)

Hendrik

Comments

• Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator

Hi Hendrik,

The 'smoothness' of direct drive is a bit of misconception, in my opinion. Direct drive is able to provide lots of fine detail, so it can potentially feel much more 'rough' or 'raw' than a belt-driven base like the ClubSport V2.5. However, this can be dialled out with settings, the most significant of which being 'INT' (interpolation filter). If you turn this up, you should feel more smoothness. That said, we are investigating a general 'grain' issue that has been reported, which shouldn't be there, but it's unclear if this is what you are feeling. Try a higher INT value and see what you think.

Large jolts can cause mechanical noise - this is due to the metal-on-metal contact in the quick release (I'm assuming you are using a wheel with a metal quick release). This can be reduced if you use the optional QR safety bolt which should have been included with your wheel. Jolts are not normally an indication of clipping - clipping manifests as a complete lack of detail, it usually just feels like a constant resistance under high load corners. I believe there is no clipping meter in the Xbox version of AC, so there is no way to tell. But I don't think it's that.

And yes, the small rotation on startup is normal.

[Fanatec Community Manager]