Should I update from 415 to 429??

Hi,

I have a CSL DD (8Nm) and still using the 415 driver version. And I am happy with it. But I notice that there is a new driver that make public which is the version 429. Should I update my equipment to the new version or can I just leave it running on 415 and wait for a later public version. The reason I asked this is because after reading this forum and see all the problem and issues happened to CSL DD here, it make me quite afraid to update to the 429 version. And also I cannot find any discussion about this public 429 driver in the (Forum Categories) under (Official Driver Packages). The last one there is the driver version 415 and fanalab 1.57.4.

Any suggestion would be nice and your reply is much appreciated.

Thank you.

My Fanatec Equipment

CSL DD (8 Nm)

CSL Elite Wheel Base + - officially licensed for PlayStation™

Podium Steering Wheel R300

CSL Elite Steering Wheel McLaren GT3 V2

ClubSport Steering Wheel Formula Carbon

ClubSport Pedals V3

ClubSport Shifter SQ V 1.5

ClubSport Handbrake V1.5

Driver ver: 415

Fanalab ver: 1.57.4.0

Comments

• I would wait for the next official driver which is supposed to come soon.

• You can wait if all is fine to you, but I've got to admit that 429 felt much better to me than 415.

• I'm a bit confused as to why you would tell this person to wait and not upgrade anything, and when I asked a similar question only just a few days ago and indicated that I was using Fanalab 1.57.4.0, you said that it should not be used at all, as it is outdated, and that I should update my driver accordingly:

https://forum.fanatec.com/discussion/24394/which-version-of-fanalab-corresponds-to-which-driver-version#

• Because 1.57.4 works with 415 just fine and unexperienced users should not need to update too often as with every new driver something can go wrong, and the next driver is coming VERY soon anyway so it makes zero Sense to update to 429 for 1 day or so.

• But Maurice, you said in that aforementioned thread (and I quote):

"FanaLab 1.57.4 should not be used at all anymore. It's outdated. If used then only with also outdated driver like 402 and before.

It's FanaLab 1.60.2 or even better 1.60.6 which should be used with any driver from 409 up to 429."

So which is it? Works fine with 415? Or shouldn't be used at all?

Sorry, I don't mean to call you out, but this is just an example of what I was talking about: the mixed and confusing messaging coming from this site regarding things like driver versions, which ones are recommended, what's official, which works best with which version of Fanalab, etc. I've been using Fanatec products for a number of years now, and this still makes my head spin...I can't imagine what it must do to someone who's new to the whole Fanatec ecosystem.

• When he updates to the upcoming 433 then he HAS TO use Fanalab 1.60.6 or whatever the most recent Fanalab version is then.

1.57.4 is old but it Doesnt harm if used with 415. Of course I recommend that nobody ever uses such an old version but when it works, well then it's okay. Also I am just a user, not an official so dont take my words as the one and only option out there. Everyone is free in what he wants to use.

And when you see that someone is unexperienced then of course he should update as less as needed and when you know that a new driver is coming immediately then of course it makes no Sense to update the driver now.

• Thank you very much for the prompt reply especially to Maurice who has helped a lot especially regarding the driver and fanalab issues in this forum. Thanks also to Manuel Alejandro Diaz Gonzalez for the suggestion. Thanks Gregg Domain for the reply.

What Maurice said here is very clear and very straightforward to understand. The reason he would recommend me to wait is because I'm still on driver 415 and with the fanalab 1.57.4.0 so would I say the correct combination between the driver and fanalab. As to what happened to you Gregg, You already updated the driver to ver 429, so you should use fanalab 1.60.6 if I'm not mistaken. The changelog also mention this on the 429 driver forum topic.

Usually before I proceed to update my fanatec driver and fanalab, I always come here first in the forum to read and search around about the driver version before I proceed to update my equipment. This is the best way to get info on the public driver version so that you would prepare well enough with all that would happen if something goes wrong. But so far, all the update I have done, all running without any problem.

My suggestion before updating fanatec driver is always read the changelog and go through the forum topic especially regarding the driver.

Anyway thanks again guys. Really appreciate your help and suggestion.

ps: Maurice and Marcel is the best guy in this forum who you should refer to when going to an update process.

Thank you.

• Sorry, I just assumed you were somehow affiliated with Fanatec, since you tend to speak with such authority on a wide range of matters here, and seem to always have knowledge of what is or isn't being developed. My mistake. 🙂

• He is not an employee of fanatec but he is working a lot behind the scenes for the beta testing.

This is why he knows so many stuff and also help a lot helpful in the forum with his knowledge.

• Well, technically I am an employee of Fanatec as I work for them as Affiliate Manager.

However, here in the Forum (and on Socials) I exclusively speak as a private Person (which knows things because of being a Betatester) and not as an official Fanatec spokesperson in any way.