What wheel for the CSL DD 8nm?

Hi, I have the CSL Elite PS4, bought with the standard bundle wheel.

I like the wheel, but when buying the CLS DD 8nm, I might as well try something new, since the old CSL elite base prop gonna be easier to sell with a wheel. So any wheel from Fanatec will work on both bases, right?

Any suggestions for a wheel with the dd base? I play Iracing, MX5 Mazda, with the occasional Radical and Ferrari Evo, Skip Barber etc.

I'm thinking trying out a NON-round one, but don't wanna spend to much, and wanna be able to sell the new wheel, with the old base, should I not like it.

Comments

• When I got my CSD DD I wanted a good all rounder wheel so I could play different things with it so I went for the BMW GT2 V2 wheel but even though it's a very nice wheel and very well made it just didn't gel with me at all, the alcantara is quite slippery in the hands so you really need to wear gloves when using it which is really annoying when you also want to access the keyboard and mouse a lot and the buttons are all quite hard to reach easily.

So I recently bought a used McLaren V2 wheel for quite cheap and honestly it works so much better for me currently because I'm mostly playing ACC, the way you hold it means you don't have any grip issues so don't need gloves and all the buttons are so much easier to get to and there's a few different styles on there which makes remembering which ones do what a lot easier, the buttons on the BMW wheel are all just small round buttons so remembering what does what is quite hard.

I wish I'd actually sat and figured out what keybinds I'd need for my most played game before buying a new wheel because it would mean I would currently have an expensive new wheel sat around doing nothing lol I'm sure it'll come in handy one day though when I decide to play something other than ACC.

TL:DR The fancy looking wheels aren't always the best for you, what's more important is spending time actually figuring out how many and what buttons you'll use in game and where you'll want them before buying a wheel because finding something that works for you personally will work out much better in the end.

• Thanks a lot Peter!

I looked into it, and the McLaren V2 seems to be just what I need. Specially that you can map a clutch to the ekstra padles on the back of the wheel. I will try the McLaren V2.

• Good choice in my opinion, it's suiting me very well at the moment with ACC. It'll probably feel a bit weird and not work so well for rally or drifting games but for GT racing and F1 it should be fine.

• That’s good to know, I was considering that BMW wheel mainly for rally games, might go with the WRC after all, if the grip isn’t that good.

As for the McLaren wheel, I highly recommend that one to OP as well, it’s so much fun use.

• FWIW, I use the McLaren GT3 v2 in DR 2.0 (among other games), and I'm actually really happy with how it performs.

I think it all depends on your driving style and how you want to go about rallying. If you're used to a round wheel and being able to grab it with one hand and chuck it through a couple hundred degrees of rotation at a time as you reach with your other hand for your manual shifter, then yeah... the McLaren is probably not going to work for you.

For me, I usually set it with somewhere between 360-400 degrees of rotation, depending on the car. Allows me to keep both hands on the wheel at all times without getting all crossed up. I use the upper paddles to shift gears, and the lower paddles for clutch and handbrake. Works great and is really fun.

• David ChiengDavid Chieng Member
    edited December 2021

Really like the McLaren GT3 V2. But I am only on ACC. Extra buttons really help. More would have been better but then you just have to note down what you really need (after a couple of races and pit stops) and there is enough buttons there.

What! Just the thought, Gregg... 360-400 degrees of rotation... upper paddles to shift gears... and the lower paddles for clutch and handbrake? I am too old for so much new muscle memory to learn now. 🤔

• Lol...it's really not that bad at all! The degrees of rotation is really no different to driving a formula car. And the manual clutch, I only use for stage starts...shifting gears is still auto-clutch. The handbrake on the right analog paddle works great, I just reach down a little bit with my middle/ring finger and give it a little pull right after diving into a tight hairpin, mash the throttle and off we go!

• McLaren GT3 V2 is all u need.