McLaren V2 wheel intermittently losing connection to CSL DD...AGAIN (even after RMA)

Gregg DomainGregg Domain Member
edited February 2022 in Steering Wheels

A few weeks ago, my McLaren v2 started losing connection to the CSL DD while playing, and the buttons would go completely unresponsive. The wheel's display showed a message saying to please update firmware, even though I had done so several times already.

I eventually wound up RMA'ing both the wheel and the wheel base for Fanatec to test and troubleshoot. They determined that there was some sort of fault with the wheel, replaced it with a new one, and returned to me my original base.

After waiting three weeks from when the problem originally rendered my rig useless, I had everything back in my possession. Two days later, and I'm extremely frustrated to say that it's doing it again. Same exact problem...same "update firmware" issue on the wheel, same symptoms of no button functionality. This sucks. I've tried live chat, but apparently no one is there to answer despite the fact that the chat icon is present.

I've checked that no pins are bent or otherwise damaged, all the screws are tight on the QR (as well as the ones around the pins), the clamp on the shaft doesn't have any gaps and is aligned properly with the little white slit. It seems to be...ok...(?)...for now? But that's how this all went for me the first time. Tightening stuff up appeared to fix it for a while, until eventually it didn't any more, and then I was left with a $200 brick.

One rather suspicious thing I noticed is that when turning the wheel on, it shows that Steering Wheel firmware v33 is loaded:

...but when checking things in the Fanatec Control Panel, it's showing that v41 is loaded:

It's like the control panel thinks that the proper version is installed, but for some reason the wheel isn't actually taking it? I don't know...extremely frustrating, whatever the root cause. Will continue trying to get in touch with Fanatec support to see what can be done. I honestly have half a mind to just sell it all and be done with it, and go buy a competitor's product.

**Edit** - just played some DR2.0 for about an hour, after tightening everything up... was fine initially, but now it just disconnected mid game and all the buttons went dead again. Getting REALLY tired of this...

Comments

• Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator

Hi Gregg,

That does sound frustrating indeed. An intermittent connection sounds like it could be related to the base-side QR slipping in the shaft. The QR has to be pushed all the way in, and the clamp has to be very tight (at least 15 Nm).

I recommend that you try to full reseat the base-side QR - untighten the clamp, pull out the base-side QR, push it back in, and retighten the clamp. It must be very tight.

The steering wheel firmware numbers not matching was a visual bug with that driver package. I recommend that you update your driver to the most recent (436, found via the 'Driver' link on the front page of the site) and update firmware when prompted. Then the numbers will match.

[Fanatec Community Manager]

• Hi Dominic,

I re-seated the shaft like you said, and upon updating to driver 436, I had a bit of a scare. As it was updating firmware, it got stuck in a seemingly endless loop:

That cycle ran its course after 3 or 4 more times, and the error message seen in the video stayed up on screen:

I tried restarting the wheel base like it said, but the power button was a solid white color now, and I couldn't get it to turn off. Tapping the button, pressing and holding for 1 second, 5 seconds, 10 seconds...didn't matter. Only way to turn it off was by unplugging the base from the electrical socket. I waited a few minutes, rebooted the PC, turned the wheel base back on, it came on in PC mode, and did its usual self-calibration routine. I loaded up my DR2.0 profile from Fanalab, launched the game, and ran a few stages.

So far so good, I guess...? No issues as far as I can tell, but I'm seriously concerned now about the fragility and unreliability of this all. I feel like I can't fire up a game and jump into a race now and just concentrate on racing, as I feel like I'm always going to have in the back of my mind, the worry that this issue is going to pop up again. How often should I need to check for things like the base-side QR needing to be re-seated? It's not exactly a quick process, and honestly it just feels tedious and like something I shouldn't need to be doing if the mechanism were designed better.

• Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator

Hmm that's strange. Could be a different issue in this case. The support team will be in touch. We will get it sorted!

Regarding the clamp and base-side QR, you should never have to check. If the thing is clamped down enough it should hold indefinitely.

• Well...I just sat down to play some F1 2021 tonight, and it did it again. Didn't get 5 minutes into the game before the wheel became unresponsive, and I couldn't navigate the menus at all (thanks for the lack of mouse support, Codies!)

I just sent an email to support. If this keeps up and there's not a simple fix and it needs to be RMA'd again, I'm done and it's so long, Fanatec. Their stuff is amazing when it works, but unfortunately for me, that just hasn't been often enough.

• It must be the CSL DD then. Maybe get them to take both back to check?

• That's what I did the last time. Sent them the base, the wheel, and the QR. I was informed that it was an issue with the wheel, and that they had replaced it and checked that the replacement works with my base before they shipped it all back to me.

The thing is, it DID work. At least initially, for a day or two. I've checked and troubleshooted everything I can think of. So now I'm left with having to decide if I want to go through the RMA process again and roll the dice one more time, or if I should just bail on Fanatec altogether, see if I can get a refund while it's all still under warranty, and go with a competing product.

Unfortunately, even if I do get another RMA and it does work, my faith is pretty much shattered that it will remain trouble free. I'm always going to have in the back of my mind, every time I go to shift or change brake bias or fuel mapping, "I hope this works..."

Which is really a shame. I'm not trying to hate on Fanatec, their products that I've experienced are amazing, when they work. And their customer service has actually been quite friendly and helpful any time I've had to deal with them. But when, as a customer, you have to go through ordeals like this just to get a functional product, no amount of customer service fixes that.

• Yeah that is really tough. It is the actual confidence in the product and the thought of what if it fails again sometime in the future. And I am not sure if the warranty period will be revised for the date the second time round it was sent out back to you.

But what other options will you be considering? Something similar out there like the Simucube 2 Sport is double the price though you do get double the peak force. I think I will be really happy with the 8nm…

In any case, if the base fails and you request for a refund, can you also return the pedals and any other accessories that you purchased together with the base and wheel?

• I'm assuming the original warranty period still applies. I'm not sure, but I haven't heard anything to the contrary. I ordered only the CSL DD and the McLaren wheel (both in separate orders). I'm still using my CSP v1's which amazingly still work great after 11 years, so I'd likely just continue to do so with whatever other base I may decide on, and just connect them directly through USB.

I've had a look at Accuforce, Simagic, Simucube, and VRS. As good a deal as any of them may be, I still wouldn't be able to get out the door with a ready-to-go solution of base and wheel for less than about $11-1200, which is roughly double what I paid for the CSL DD. And honestly, I really really like the McLaren wheel...I haven't seen anything anywhere, that offers a similar level of functionality for the price. It pains me to think about having to give that up.

I don't really have the money to splurge on a more expensive solution like that, plus my modest wheel stand is probably not a great pairing for a wheel base with 15Nm or more of torque.

So all this has left me considering the Thrustmaster TX-XW. From what I can tell, it's their top of the line wheel base, offers 6Nm of torque, and I can get a bundle with a pretty decent looking Sparco rim for about $700. It's not direct drive though, unfortunately, so I'm worried that I'll be disappointed with its performance now that I've had a taste of direct drive.

I'm pretty torn here. Definitely open to suggestions if anyone has any.

• You definitely need to get the wheel base swapped out for a new one to rule that out completely. I know what you mean about confidence but if you get a wheelbase that works then it'll be fine and you'll be happy with it. In cases like this where you've already sent everything back and it supposedly been fixed but clearly hasn't been I really think Fanatec should send you another wheel base and let you return yours when it arrives so you're not without one while waiting on it all to happen.

• That's a very good point about them shipping a unit prior to my sending my current one back. I'll mention it to them when I hopefully hear back from them on Monday.

Apparently the first time I returned it, they felt it was just the wheel at fault. Perhaps it was the fault of the base all along. Or perhaps I just got unlucky and got two bad wheels? Or maybe they're both bad?

All I know is that I just want to race.

• While waiting for a reply from support, I figured I'd give things one more shot here just to see if maybe somehow anything had changed. The short version:

Nope. Still unusable.

The long version:

---------------------------------------------

Checked today (2/15),

Buttons were immediately unresponsive upon powering on. Checked PC and CMP modes. No difference.

Powered wheel off, felt to see if shaft or anything felt loose, turned unit back on. Firmware updater app launched, Control Panel showed no Fanatec devices detected. Wheel power button was slowly cycling between blue and yellow/ white.

Held power button and released to turn it off, rebooted PC.

Turned wheel back on, Firmware updater launched again. I told it to update, then Fanalab kept showing the CSL DD and CSL P1 Wheel being connected and then disconnected, over and over again (this is odd, since I'm using the McLaren v2 wheel):

This eventually stopped, and the base switched itself to Xbox mode. Manually switched it to PC, tested wheel inputs in Control Panel. Things worked fine, everything responded correctly for about 5 minutes, then all button functionality was lost again.

Did the whole reseating, retightening process for a third time now. Rebooted PC and wheelbase. Wheel shows correctly in Fanalab (and in CP) for a minute or so, then randomly disappears and reappears. The times when it is visible, the wheel itself reports turning input, but buttons are once again, unresponsive.

• Heard back from support, after I suggested your suggestion about them shipping me a new DD before I send my existing one back. As expected, they're not willing to do so. I'm guessing it has something to do with new orders being on backorder until April for the 8Nm, and the end of July(?!) for the 5Nm. But surely they must keep a few units on hand to issue as replacements in situations such as this?

I could have a new Thrustmaster in my hands and ready to go in days. I really don't want to wait another 3 weeks just to see if maybe this time rolling the dice will have paid off. And then... what if it doesn't and I still have problems?

I just wish I didn't like Fanatec's products so much when they actually work, as this would be a simple decision and I would've kicked them to the curb long ago.

• David ChiengDavid Chieng Member
    edited February 2022

They may have just checked that it works, but not wait long enough for the problem to come back before packing it away. Gregg mentioned that it will work for awhile...

So even if you send the base back, do they have a new one to send out to you?

Manufacturers usually will wait till they have received your unit before sending out a new one.

• "So even if you send the base back, do they have a new one to send out to you?

Manufacturers usually will wait till they have received your unit before sending out a new one."

------------------------------------------

They must have something. Otherwise what would they do in cases where a customer's wheel can't be repaired? Tell him to "pre-order" his repair and it'll be available some time in April? 🙄

Sending a replacement first is not the norm, but it's not unheard of. And it pretty much always helps generate good will on behalf of the company and tells the customer that they are a priority...areas in which Fanatec could use some help quite honestly.

It really comes down to the fact that this just shouldn't happen. Two RMA's, practically back to back (for what appears to be the same problem), and the prospect of the customer needing to wait what will be approaching TWO MONTHS by the time he gets a (presumably) working product back in his hands? That's just poor on multiple levels.

I'll give them another shot, but I have absolutely ZERO confidence that things will work correctly once I finally take receipt of everything again. If this or a similar issue crops up again, I'm done. NOT going through this charade a third time, that's for damn sure.

• Any news on this?

• Hi Peter,

On Thursday Feb 17th, I sent back just the base this time, for my second RMA. I requested that they please replace the base, rather than repair it, but I doubt my words will hold much weight.

Fedex is saying it should arrive to its destination in CA on Tuesday. So... if it goes like last time, I figure I should have something back in my hands by the end of the first week of March. (For the record, I first contacted Fanatec and initiated the first RMA back on January 14th, and have been able to play for a total of about two hours since then, right after I first got it all back last week).

At this point, I'm fully expecting things to go wrong again, it's just a question of how long it'll take, and whether things will still be under warranty.

Speaking of which, I noticed that the "My Products" page is showing that my warranty for the CSL DD is set to expire this summer (so after only a year), when I definitely bought the extra 1-year extended warranty. I've sent an email to support about it earlier in the week, but have heard nothing back yet.

I'll update as this situation progresses.

• Hi Gregg.

I'm having the same issue, do you already solve it?

Since some time ago when I am playing/using my fanatec, in some point of the session:

1) Steering wheel disconnecs

2) Sudden loss of force feedback

3) Buttons stop working

This happens randomly with every racing game I have: assetto corsa, assetto corsa compettizzione, automobilista 2, dirt 4, dirt rally, rfactor2. This forces me to close the game, restart the wheelbase to be able to play again

I already tried:

- Reinstall the drivers (434, 439 and 440)

- Use it in another PC: same steam account, same games, same cockpit, same drivers, same results

- The procedure in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q73Kw6knoBQ&list=PLVpNmZrhO0JTlZJ3_tG6UcQ2ESJSk4n3i&index=29

• Hi Julian, well the good news is that my wheel is working fine now, but the bad news is that the solution was to send the base unit in for an RMA. Based on what you've said, it sounds like unfortunately, an RMA is probably in your future too. Good luck.