steering wheel compatibility

Omar SpanoOmar Spano Member
edited February 2022 in Steering Wheels

Hello guys, I have a question for anyone who can give me an answer. I tried to search on the forum, entering keywords but I could not find anything about it .. forgive me if it didn't.

I have the Podium DD1 PS4 and I would be interested in the "CSL ELITE STEERING WHEEL WRC" and I give it as compatible with the PODIUM I own but, in the notes, I read that the "QR1 Lite Wheel-Side" with which it is equipped is not compatible with PODIUM !! Is it really so? In some videos on the tube, I've seen some use it..where am I wrong?

Thank you everybody..

p.s. the demand is also extended to the cheaper "CSL STEERING WHEEL BMW"

Comments

• Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator

Hi Omar,

The statements on the product pages are correct. It is true that the QR1 Lite technically fits on the Podium wheel bases and we have shown it in some of our older videos. However through further testing, we decided to state on the product pages that it is not compatible. This is because the relationship between the clamping mechanism of the QR1 Lite and the unique design of the Podium shaft (with the rubber gasket) does not provide a secure enough connection in all cases.

The combination of the CSL Elite Steering Wheel WRC or CSL Steering Wheel BMW with a Podium wheel base is therefore not something I would recommend. You would need to add the metal QR1 Wheel-Side, and this particular wheel design does not allow for High Torque Mode even with the metal QR, so you would be stuck with using Low Torque Mode and not taking full advantage of the Podium wheel base performance.

The price of the WRC plus metal QR takes you into the ClubSport Series price range. The ClubSport Steering Wheel RS and ClubSport Steering Wheel BMW GT2 V2 are significantly more high-end than the CSL wheels, and allow High Torque Mode, are therefore much better choices for a Podium wheel base.

If you would prefer to stick with CSL wheels using the QR1 Lite, then I suggest that you wait for the Gran Turismo DD Pro wheel base (assuming you need PlayStation compatibility).

[Fanatec Community Manager]

• Thanks for the reply! I wanted to take the "CSL STEERING WHEEL WRC" while waiting for the new steering wheel made in collaboration with FORD which, apparently, nothing more is known!

Waiting for its release, I would have liked to fall back on this!

"High Torque" was not important as it is not essential in rally games.

But, if it is not advisable to use it on Podium and if the new wheel will not see its release soon, I will fall back on another wheel.

Thanks again

• Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator

Hi Omar,

I don't want to completely discourage you from getting the WRC wheel if you like its appearance. If you add the metal quick release you can use it on a Podium wheel base in low torque mode without problems. But by doing so, you are paying the same price as the ClubSport Steering Wheel RS, which is also a fully round wheel, but significantly higher spec, made from metal and carbon fibre, with magnetic shifters.

One of the key advantages of the WRC wheel is the Xbox license, and this one of the reasons why it is more expensive than the CSL Steering Wheel BMW. So if you only want the WRC wheel for the shape, and you don't need the Xbox compatibility, then the BMW is the better option (and again would work fine in low torque mode on a Podium wheel base if you add the metal quick release).

The new product shown on the new Ford WRC car is still in development, I can't provide an ETA for this.

[Fanatec Community Manager]