stop button, ok to use to poweroff the whee

Today I connected up my home made E stop button for my DD1. I was under the assumption that the emergency button would leave the base powered on and cut out all FFB. But it looks like the button actually powers off the wheel base?

Is this true, and if so can I use it to power off the wheel? It is much faster than using the on/off button.

EDIT: OK so it is by design that the kill switch cuts the power of the DD1. People here recommend using the on/off button rather than the kill switch to turn off the wheel base. I have not seen any official Fanatec statements saying that you should not use the kill switch for turning off the device.

Arguments here to NOT use the kill switch are:

1. You could lose unsaved settings on the wheel base.
  2. The wheel base is like a computer and has open files and therefor needs to be powered down properly so it can close open files.

To be honest I doubt both arguments, but I will use the on/off button rather than the kill switch just in case. I was hoping a few people here would reply saying they have been using the kill switch to power down (or just cut the power on the mainz switch) for years without problems.

Also I did not realize you have to turn the kill switch knob back into position on the original kill switch. On my home made switch this is not the case.