Solution: CSL Elite firmware not updating

Hi all,

Wanted to share my experience and troubleshooting of my CSL Elite PS4 wheelbase firmware not updating through the latest Fanatec Control Panel firmware updater.

THE ISSUE: Firmware Updater just freezes up and goes "Not Responding" and you are forced to manually close it. Waiting doesn't work - I tried leaving mine for about 40 mins, and it still remained stuck.

I've looked up the same issue multiple times around the forum and other sites, found multiple solutions (e.g. using different USB ports, using a different PC to update the firmware, reinstalling the Fanatec drivers, etc.), but none worked for me - that is until I saw one comment hinting at doing the firmware updates progressively using older versions of the Fanatec Drivers until you reach the latest driver and firmware version.

My CSL Elite's firmware version was around 31x at the time of discovering the issue. Very old firmware, because I managed to get this as a brand new, old stock that was totally unused.

The solution: The firmware updates should be done progressively using older Fanatec Drivers. Instead of using the latest (as of time of posting) Fanatec Driver 439, try to use older versions first depending on which firmware version you are trying to update from.

The older versions I used came from here: https://forum.fanatec.com/categories/beta-drivers

Disclaimer and some clarification, especially for first-time Fanatec users: "Driver version" and "firmware version" numbers are two different things. The "Driver" is the entire Fanatec Control Panel package that contains Fanatec firmware versions for various Fanatec equipment. The "Firmware" versions are as-of-date depending on the Driver version it is packaged in. The firmware version numbers are included in each Driver version in the post linked above. Just putting it out there as they confused me initially.

Unfortunately I cannot remember the specific firmware versions included in each driver package when I solved my issue, but again these are included in each Driver release in the Beta Drivers post linked above.

How I solved my issue:

1. Starting with firmware ver. 31x, I used Fanatec Driver ver. 311 (file name: 2018.05.16-Fanatec_driver_311.zip). The updater worked without issues, but the update required manual calibration through your wheel display, not on the software. If you're also using a CSL Elite, look up how it is done through your User Manual; your on-wheel display will show some symbols / numbers, and if you have a Clubsport Shifter also connected, you will also have to manually calibrate that as part of the update.
  2. From Fanatec Driver 311, I next used Fanatec Driver 327 (file name: 2019.02.12-Fanatec_driver_327_Beta.zip). You can find the older versions in the Beta Drivers post linked above. I first uninstalled the old 311 driver, and then installed the 327 driver. PC needed a restart on the new driver installation (no need for the old driver uninstallation). Similar to #1 above, this step still required manual calibration through the wheel display, not the software. Updater still worked without issues and did not freeze.
  3. From Fanatec Driver 327, I next used Fanatec Driver 381 (file name: 2020.11.19-Fanatec_driver_381_RC.zip). I uninstalled first Driver 327, and then installed 381. At this point if I remember correctly, the calibration instructions are now on the software, not the wheel display, and much more user-friendly as a result.
  4. From Fanatec Driver 381, I next used Fanatec Driver 402 (file name: 2021-01-20-Fanatec_driver_402.zip). As usual, uninstalled the old drivers first before installing the new one. Calibration still on the software, no issues.
  5. From Fanatec Driver 402, I tried to jump into the latest Fanatec Driver 439 (file name: 2022-02-18-Fanatec_driver_439.zip), the latest Driver version that was initially freezing up at the start of the issue. As usual, uninstalled the old drivers first before installing this. Finally it proceeded to update without any issues, and got my CSL Elite to the latest firmware version.

Hope this works for you if you have a similar issue and avoid spending 6+ hours pulling your hair trying to get your new CSL Elite working like I did. Again, Just be mindful of your starting point and always look up the Driver / Firmware version relative to the version you're upgrading from.

Comments

• Hi,

I’m sure a lot of people will appreciate your help...I have a CSL Elite PS4 version since 2017, updated first time out of The box in december 2017, then again in 2018; since then I did it in summer 2021 because I bought The Formula 2.5 wheel and I had to update, so I basically made it to 4xx without your extra steps in between.

it was a little painful because after first fw update everything was stuck... I had to disconnect usb from pc to revive the wheelbase, and same thing for motor fw.

I will keep it like this, I have latest package but I’ll use it to set the GT DD Pro base, wheel and V3 pedal.

CSL Elite is still a great piece of kit, I’m having great fun with it and the formula 2.5 wheel in ACC on PS4 and now in PS5, still 100% operative and the best thing is I can Map all the wheel buttons, amazing.

The DD Pro is still waiting in its box in a corner of my room...

Have fun man!

• Thanks man you are a legend

• Kyle MooreKyle Moore Member
    edited February 2023

Thank you for posting this. I bought my CSL Elite Wheelbase+ for PS4/Xbox back in 2017 and never updated the firmware until today. I ran into this exact issue. I was on firmware v335 for my wheelbase and it froze the new driver 447 download from fanatec when I tried updating the firmware. I then went and downloaded driver version 381 to update my wheelbase to v620 and my wheel base motor to 22. I figured that was close enough to then install the latest public driver download from fanatec, 447. Then my firmware upgrade worked without issue from v620 to now v691 as of today.

I used iorbit uninstaller to uninstall driver 447 from my pc before I installed driver 381. Once I completed 381 firmware updates, I uninstalled it and then reinstalled 447. Worked from there without issue.

Thank you OP for making this post. I registered on here to post my experience to help the next person coming along that will be in this situation.