[RMA in progress] DD1 Shuts Off while in-game

New DD1 (one day old), running latest drivers and firmware. While in game (RF2, ACC, iRacing), the DD1 will shut off. I am using the default game profiles and recommended settings for each game. Not running with high forces. I have open a support ticket but was hoping someone here might have experienced this and has a solution.

My previous wheel was a Thrustmaster TX that I have been running for 6 years and the last 2 years on the same computer that the DD1 is now attached to. I have never experienced this with the TX and have ran that for hours at a time so I don't believe it to be a computer issue.

Comments

• I've read some other threads that have had a similar issue. They mentioned that the shut off happens when turning the wheel for a corner. That is the same experience that I have had, it only happens in a corner (usually a sharp corner at high speed) and never (so far) on a straight. Unfortunately, those threads had no solutions...hopefully someone can help?

I also have the same wheel as mentioned in the other threads, a ClubSport Steering Wheel Formula V2.5 X. Maybe just coincidence...

• I'm getting the same with DD Pro.

• Tried downgrading both the drivers and firmware to 434. Still is not working. Ugh, I give up...what a waste of money!

• Any update on this? I have the exact same issue with my DD1 in corners.

• Nope, no update. Support contacted me today and I sent them a video (at their request) showing the issue. The odd thing, at least for me, that it only seems to happen when turning right. I tried downgrading the drivers and firmware (434) and not running fanlab. I also moved the power brick away from my rig...this was mentioned somewhere, either here or reddit, that it might be an issue if it is close or touching it.

I'll update this thread as I get more information.

• edited March 2022

Update. The main sim I play is ACC (PC). The fanlab profile for that game has the FFB Strength at 45%. I tried lowering that to %35 percent and didn't have a power off during a 40min session. Before, it would power off with 5min or so. I am testing using the same track/car combo every time as well.

Anyways, I've sent all this info to support so if I get any updates/solutions from them I'll post back here.

• Another update: I was able to use the DD1 for a few hours last night without issues. As mentioned in my last post, I reduced the FFB Strength for the DD1 to 35%. Not saying that it is fixed or the issue is resolved, as it should be able to run at 100%. It seems with the higher FFB settings, the unit (or the power supply) is overloaded and shuts off.

Still haven't heard back from support but will update this thread when I hear anything.

• So, I tried today using the same settings. Now, the FFB is so light! What the hell? When I turn it on, it now shows "Legacy" on the screen then it goes blank with "ITM" in the lower right corner. I do not remember that being there before, only the "Fanatect" name/logo on the screen. I am so frustrated with this thing!

• Something has definitely changed. I used the default FFB Strength of 45%, which would cause the DD1 to shutdown between 1 and 3 laps. I just ran 10 laps without issues. But, the FFB was weaker. Something is not right...As far as I know, I have not changed anything. If I did, then I do not know what. Maybe I pushed some button combo on the wheel that changed something? And now, the DD1 LCD display is showing my speed. Before, and on the video I sent to support (image below), it only said "Fanatec" on it?

• I figured out the LCD display. I must have enabled ITM in FanLab by mistake. Anyways, that issue is solved. But, the FFB is still puzzling me. I set the FFB Strength at 50% and ran a 1 hour session. No issues. Before, at 45% or higher, it would power off the DD1 within 5min or so. I still think that the FFB feels weaker.

• Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator

Hi Brian,

A few things that would make the FFB feel weaker:

• Being in Low Torque Mode (either Torque Key has lost connection or the wheel connection is not accepting High Torque Mode)
    • FFS setting on Linear instead of Peak
    • The FOR setting being lower than 100
    • Using lower in-game strength values
    • Using a different car
    • Using different tyres (lower grip tyres or higher pressure)
    • Using a different car setup (suspension geometry can also impact steering torque)
    • Using a larger diameter or heavier steering wheel

If you think there is definitely something wrong with your unit, please continue to communicate with the support team.

[Fanatec Community Manager]

• Low torque key in place, no connection loss (except for the power offs) that I can detect. Using the exact same car/track/setup and profile every time as I've been troubleshooting issues, and using the same wheel (only have 1)

Anyways, received a RMA email today and will be sending this back to Fanatec.

• I received a new DD1 yesterday. Support said that they could not replicate the issue that I was having with the base shutting off during gameplay. They said that they sent a new one just in-case there was a problem with the original unit. This is a bit concerning and I am hoping the problem isn't with the wheel/rim since that part was not sent back.

I have not had a chance to setup the new unit but will update this post when I have done that and have gotten some testing in. crossing fingers!!