DD Pro Steering Wheel cover

Dean HolmesDean Holmes Member
edited April 2022 in Steering Wheels

HI,

Received my Fanatec DD Pro, I'm brand new to sim racing, GT7 of PS5. Wanted a steering wheel so I thought I would jump in feet first to a DD, rather than get a Logitech and upgrade later.

Anyway, love it so far, I had gotten quite quick with the PS5 controller, but its a whole new learning curve with the wheel, I got the load cell brake and that is really hard/stiff to press.

However, I have one minor gripe, the steering wheel rubber becomes tacky very quickly. It's made of that cheap rubber that gets tacky-sticky and never seems to ever become un-tacky again, horrible feeling. Of course quick answer is to wear gloves, but they just make your hands sweat even more.

Been looking for a steering wheel cover, but at 280mm(11") I've not been able to find one. Smallest I could find was 13".

Anyone had any luck finding a steering wheel cover that fits, ideally leather.

Thanks in advance.

Side note, unrelated question.

Grand Turismo 7, can anyone tell me what the red number "1" is next to the gear indicator and above the AT setting in the HUD. I have looked at the online manual and searched, nobody mentions it as far as I can tell.

Comments

• edited April 2022

Start with the side note: its the recommended gear for the next corner.

Regarding the wheel: it will be hard to find wheel covers for racing wheels. MIght have to look in the direction of karting, but even then its going to be a long shot. I am still going to throw the gloves option in: If normal racing gloves tend to make your hands sweat, take a look at gloves used for cycling. They provide grip, but usually dont cover as much of your hands as the racing gloves do.

• Good set of breathable cycling gloves will go a long way. There have been a few posts with glove recommendations. I've purchased a cheaper pair off Amazon to use with the Formula V2.5x wheel and don't have any issues with hands sweating. You can give that a try?

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B088GY6VMB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

• Thanks for the feedback, especially on the red next corner suggest gear ;)

Going to try and order s custom made one

https://www.shopsar.com/leather-steering-wheel-covers-p/wheelskins1.htm

• Item Name:Custom Leather Steering Wheel Covers by WheelskinsItem Price:$74.95Options:Vehicle Make (or 'Custom'):Custom racing wheel D shaped
    • Vehicle Model (or Diameter):11
    • Vehicle Year (or Grip):(3.7/8) main wheel- (4.3/8) notches for fingers to rest against.
    • Wheelskin Colors - Top/Bottom:Red
    • Wheelskin Colors - Sides:Black
    • Wheelskin Perforation:Sides
    • Wheelskins Lace Color:Red

• RJ DRJ D Member

I was thinking the same thing but with Alcantara.

Please post back when you get your cover.

• The rubber is actually great for GT style racing. As long as you wanna stick to 3 and 9 hand position, but while i don't feel like it's cheap, In fact it's well done imho, It is too sticky. And it doesn't seem to get less sticky with use.

As soon as you wanna slide that wheel through your hands you want a new material.

I did end up just buying a new wheel. Which i know isn't ideal.

• PRO TIP:

Sim-sters have reported the colored PS5 Navigation symbols are wearing off and fading away. Add this with the bonus 'tacky' steering grip finds you are the duped owner of a really expensive and crappy wheel.

• Fun Fact : My Logitech G29 wheel is open box wrapped in soft stitched leather.