Fanatec DD1 Podium Cutting Out

Hi all,

Reaching out here again, as i have a new issue that has cropped up. I have tried all the trouble shooting i could find in reference to this problem however none of the things that have sporadically worked for others are working for me.

So in the hope someone here knows what to do here is my issue:

I'd had a DD1 base unit for a couple of years when i had a malfunction, Fanatec were awesome and sorted me out a new base unit etc and got it back to me pretty darn quick. That was way back around September time.

NOW - The new unit has been awesome since it arrived, however, recently (last 2 weeks) it has started cutting out mid game. Full on turning itself off. It is incredibly frustrating and I dont dare jump in iRacing or anything for fear of it doing it there and ruining someone elses race.

I cannot find what has caused this issue to start occuring, nothing has been added to the PC and nothing removed in terms of any USB devices.

Usually after it turns off and i turn it back on, i cannot access it either from the Fanatec Control Panel and have to turn it off then back on again.

I've tried:

Rolling drivers back.

Reinstalling drivers.

Firmware updates.

Moving it to a different USB.

Unplugged various other USB devices in case there was an issue there.

I've run the Fanatec Control Panel as admin.

I've changed the USB hub power prefence so the PC cannot turn off the USB of its own violition.

I'm now at a complete loss as to what i can do. Anyone out there who has had similar and has found a resolution for this? I've read some people had to get a new power supply that worked but others have reported that didnt work. It seems there is no clear outright solution to this and seems similar to issues people have had with the new CSL DD where it randomly shuts off mid gameplay as well.

Comments

• This sounds similar to my post. I'm using the V2.5 base but have tried multiple rims/hubs. I've seen numerous other posts as well.

• Same issue on a new DD1. Had to RMA it and I received a new one. Support said they could not duplicate the issue. I only have about an hour on the new one...keeping fingers crossed.

• I need help

i have a problem when i use Latest driver and firmware package: Fanatec Driver 439, how can i fix it, during update the programs crashed and i get this ( Wireless Quick Release Update Mode Error: Connect device failed , I've done everything , windows reinstalled and installed Fanatec Driver 440 and I still have the same problem

• Steven HillSteven Hill Member
    edited April 2022

Robert I had the same issue on my original base. I had to RMA that and it was replaced with a brand new base. Submit a support ticket, DD1 for me and had that exact same failure. Now I have this on the new unit sent out to me that I only received in January.

I believe I have found the route cause of my problem with the wheel cutting out. I set up my camera so i could see on the side screen the power supply whilst using it. Sure enough whilst under load the power supply light dimmed before the final occassion where the green light went out completely! This obviously caused the wheel to also shut off as no power.

Im wondering what they can do and if they will replace the power supply unit?? Anyone had any experience with this?

I have placed a support ticket and tried to call but phone keeps getting the call cut.

• I had basically the same issue with the DD1 shutting off on me completely and it's a brand new wheelbase that was bought in February. I got 2 weeks of use before it started turning off on me.

I've been in contact with support for the past couple of weeks and finally got it sent back to Fanatec earlier this week for RMA. I checked on the tracking number today, delivery to Fanatec shows pending with no date since yesterday. I called Fedex and I was told that it's being sent back to me instead and it looks like it was rejected at the warehouse. So now I get to wait another week before Fanatec even replies to my email to figure out my next steps.

It's really stupid and frustrating that a company of this size and reputation has these issues. Hopefully your experience won't be as bad as mine when it comes to the RMA, because you definitely need to RMA your base too.

• As I commented, I had the same issue with a new DD1. I used it for several hours yesterday without issues, but, I noticed that the power block/supply was very warm. The DD1 base was cool. I'm worried that I will eventually run into the same issue again.

• I had this issue a while back. about every 10-15 times I was in iRacing, the wheelbase would shut itself off when driving. There was nothing wrong with my DD1, it was power quality in the house! Large appliances being used in a 100 year old house = bad news. I bought a UPS and run the wheelbase through it now, problem gone. My UPS has an incident counter, it's up to 8 in just a couple of months, it actually registered an incident just this morning when my wife turned on the cloths dryer.

One other thing I found, double check that the black power chord that plugs into the power supply brick is firmly seated. Mine was almost all the way out, I'm surprised it worked at all.

Good luck!

• Unfortunately same issues here. I have an open support ticket, the suggestions have all been software related but I have now recorded on camera the power supply light going out whilst playing which caused the wheel to go off.

The support ticket I have is open but for some reason the Fanatec website is now not letting me into my account stating there is no access data for my user account. Not sure what issue that is but frustrating as i cant login to now if needed open a new ticket anywhere for issues.

Getting highly frustrated as I utilise this wheel for content creation/live streams and generally to chill out with friends racing online and now i've got essentially a brick to display lol

I replied to the original support ticket email not sure when that will get picked up as seems to take a while for replies. The guys were great with my original base that they replaced eventually after finding a fault. Now this with the new one they sent me.

• So an update

I was advised to do the usual software/firmware updates, try a different plug socket etc but sure enough the problem persists and ive now caputred on camera the moment it cuts out and the power light on the block going out as well as flickering and dimming. Nothing else in my property has power issues so there is a definite problem.

The problem i have is that it is taking forever for support to come back to me so essentially i have a really expensive piece of eye candy for now.

Dont get me wrong the support when engaging is great i just wish there was someone i could literally speak to again like last time as it was all sorted that day, however i did try a number of times to call the same number i used last time and it was either engaged or ringing for a while before being cut off.

Just frustrated at this point in spending all this money for top tier gear and having a faulty first DD1 wheel base and now these issues 2 months after receiving a replacement. :(

Fingers crossed things move along as of Monday.

• John this interesting and I was wondering if this could be my issue as well. I had my DD1 plugged into an almost 20 year old Monster power center that has built in AVR and never had an issue.

Now I have a full rig with 4 monitors and have the DD1 plugged into a regular surge protector and it shuts off on high and quick FFB signals.

Been reading a lot trying to find more info on this issue and I think you are on to something. I have a quality APC UPS on the way that will hopefully resolve my issue. I will update once I get it hooked up and tested.