First rig setup help

Hi

I’m almost ready to pull the trigger and dive into the sim racing world. I have a few questions I’m hoping some one more experienced and knowledge could help me with. Ideally, I’d like to keep everything under 2k total, but I’d be willing to spend more if it’ll actually be worth the money.

-Should I get the CSL DD 5nm or Pro version 8nm? (What’s the difference and is it worth the cost?)

-Between the McLaren GT3 V2 and Formula Esports V2, which one would be “better?” I do plan to do F1 racing but also some iracing. Also, do I need to get a QR1 for either wheels?

-Are the club sport V3 pedals worth the extra cash or should I just get CSL LC?

-What rigs should I be looking at getting that won’t break the bank? Next level racing is some nice ones just wondering if I should look elsewhere too.

-As far as single monitors go, would a curved screen be anymore beneficial than a traditional screen? Any brands I should look at specifically?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Hi mate,

-You should buy 8 nm because when you get more experience you will want more feedback from your wheel and you will upgrade it eventually. Just start with the better one difference is huge in my opinion.

-Formula esport v2 has better materials and qr1, mclaren has cheaper materials but have lots and lots more functions. Having rotart encoders and analog pedals are big difference. I would go with mclaren but you should buy qr1 seperatly since plastic qr lite has some flex and can be broken.

-Club Sport v3 pedals are one of the best in all sim racing environment. If you are not buying premium stuff like Heusinkenveld than v3 is best. Materials are premium, feels great, vibration motors are good for understanding slip and abs, clutch system is fantastic, maybe I can recommend you brake performance kit but even without it you should buy v3

-you don't have to buy a rig there are lots of design on the internet with all dimensions, you can buy sigma profiles and build your own. Building your own rig is better since you can modify it whenever you want to whatever you want.

-For F1 games single screen monitor is enough and if you are not buying screen like samsung odessey curve don't have benefits since screen will be small. for future I will recommend triple screen. Your eyes sense speed from your peripheral vision more, with triple screen speed sense and environment awareness will be better.

• Generally agree with the above, but as a prior owner of both CSL + LC and V3's I would just go for CSL +LC. I found V3 was such a disappointing upgrade. I ended up giving them to a friend and going for Heusinkenveld. CSL + LC will be fine.

• I agree with first reply, I have the gtr s3 rig for my csl dd (brand: Oplite), I paid a little more than 600 euro for it, with seat, with shifter support and single monitor support: it's stable for the 8 Nm and for the v3 pedals, I'm not 100% satisfied for the H/sequential shifter support because of nearly no adjustment.

Best rigs are that with aluminum profiles, fully adjustable, but they cost a little more (look at simetik brand as an example).

As far as the monitor you should consider a tv, I'm using a 43" lg led tv, and it's ok. More modern tv, like oled, are more expensive, they are better, yes, but I'm happy with my led model too..it's always a matter of budget.

• To clarify, there is no "Pro version" of the CSL DD. It breaks down like this:

There are two different wheel bases: the CSL DD (which is Xbox/ PC compatible), and the GT DD Pro (which is PS/ PC compatible). Both wheelbases come in a 5Nm and an 8Nm version. Other than the name "pro" and some minor cosmetic differences, the only real difference between the two is which console you prefer to have compatibility with. (And, if you really want compatibility with everything, you can always buy a PS-compatible base (GT DD Pro) and couple it with an Xbox-compatible wheel (McLaren GT3 v2).

If console compatibility doesn't concern you, then go with what you like and what your budget allows. I currently have a CSL DD 5Nm with the McLaren GT3 wheel, mounted to an old Fanatec center-pole-style wheel stand. For my budget and living space, it works great, but I do think that if I had a proper rig, I'd want the 8Nm version. (Also, to clarify, the difference between 5Nm and 8Nm has nothing to do with the base itself... it all comes from which power supply you use. So you absolutely could start with the 5Nm, and if you later decide you want to upgrade, you could purchase the more powerful power supply to "unlock" the increased torque.)

• Create a spreadsheet and put everything in with prices and you can decide which combination you want to get to 2k. Is that €, £, US$ or CAN$? Makes quite a bit of difference.

If you do not have a rig, go 5nm. 8nm is too much with a table clamp unless the clamp itself is bolted on the table. Aluminium profiles? Unless your body proportion is outside the normal distribution, then get one already designed, from the various manufacturers out there is definitely cheaper than one if you purchase individual profiles.

Monitor is really personal preference. Single 27", 34" or ultra wide 49" or 27" triple or 34" triple. It is all up to you. I prefer the 49" ultra wide as I do not like the monitor gap between 2 monitors in a triple setup. Triple setups need more space too.

• Also, as a general word of advice to the OP, I will just say to do your homework and research as much as possible concerning the equipment you're interested in, as well as (especially) the company behind the products you'll be buying. Things like product reliability, build quality, customer service ease of use and response time are all things that should factor into your decision.

From personal experience, Fanatec stuff is great when it works...but their recent budget offerings (CSL line including the GT DD) have been seeing lots of complaints on forums, reddit, etc about faulty units. Couple that with customer service wait times approaching 2 weeks or more to simply get a response from the company, and you should ask yourself if that's something you're ok with taking a chance on.

Bottom line, Fanatec are not the only game in town. Make sure you consider alternatives before making your purchase decision.

• Apparently DD1/2 works really well as a door stopper too... 😉

• Gareth EvansGareth Evans Member
    edited May 2022

All excellent points made above, another opinion for you to consider. Sorry but 2k is a nice starting point, but I think you need to be quite savvy on your choices to not overshoot massively or have regrets.

Financially if i was to go back, I'd pay the extra for the better rig to start with and compromise on some of the equipment.

Solid rig is what made the biggest difference to me, I've had Playseat Revo then the PS Evo to now Trakracer Tr8.

Mines in the living room, it's a piece of man furniture and aluminium extrusion isn't the most attractive thing in a floral grey and blush pink wife designed room. If I had a man cave though, it wouldve been aluminium.

I've got CSW2.5 base, my son has CSL DD (8nm) on my old PS Evo. The DD is amazing, you won't be disappointed, shame its mounted to the PS swinging around in free air like a funfair ride whilst singing loudly its little creaking song in tune to every bit of ffb. Yes this is exaggeration, but serious also.

LC of course is lovely and natural when you get into the flow of the race. However, bare with me this might sound controversial, if you go for the basic CSL pedals, they're 80Euro. Money towards rig.

I started on basic elite then bought elite LC addon after. The basic pedals are not un-driveable my boy has them now and I'm not struggling when i have a lil go of his. He's decided to upgrade his wheel before LC.

When you upgrade and you will, you only need buy the LC kit and the existing pedal becomes a clutch, zero waste or you go for a whole new set of pedals and you've only wasted 80Euro.

Screen, I went for a curved 32" 4k 60fps monitor (I'm on xbox and only play F1 too) and it wasn't cheap to get in 4k. In hindsight I should've gone for a much cheaper still curved 32", but 1080p 120hz gaming monitor. Money towards rig. Personally, I think the curved visually looks good on a rig, sat this close to it thou, can't say there is any difference in experience.

Formula V2 is my crowning gem, the wheel is stunning to look at in person and to use. Not got Mclaren myself but looks a bargain, budget in mind again, you can always buy another wheel later and who wouldn't want a nice little collection of wheels. Money towards rig now.

The pedals i think are the biggest concession I've made, but you're racing now.

Only once your using your rig, will you know what's the next priority for you, not everyone else. LC addon & Formula wheel or major pedals set. However you're not back tracking, upgrading a rig first and wasting money on something you already had, mistake I made repeatedly.

If you lasted this long, good luck in your build betty, it's almost a fun as using it! Sometimes I wish ppl had given me more honest feedback from their mistakes to at least consider thou.

Excuse my old recaro seat, my next spend is gonna be fibreglass GT but want it personalised, dug out this from attic to not waste money on a temporary seat until I'd found my perfect seat. My setup is very modest compared to what I imagine some people's in here are, but still getting to this stage was considerably more than 2k, especially considering the waste I've gone through.

• Well, my 2 cents...

...I started many years ago with the Microsoft wheel set for the xbox 360....on a Wheel Stand Pro.

in 2017 I got a Playseat Evolution Alcantara for my CSL Elite Ps4 wheel base and pedal set...too muxh flex, a cheap stuff for cheap performance.

So I'm on the train of whoever says : start with the rig first. Do not compromise, really.

I got a TrakRacer TR160, almost set up everything, I had 20 minutes test unfortunately (too busy) but man....oh man...the flex is non-existent, the adjustment possibility are on the full spectrum....yes it's expensive, yes it's something you want to find a dedicated place...but for me there is no turning back.

Find something similar, maybe cheaper (NLR or TR120 maybe)....but go for something 'definitive'. Spend your money once.

Ciao!