DD1 Inconsistent FFB

This is my second DD1 since February. The first one would shut off on me randomly and I had to send it back for RMA after a month of owning it. It's now been a month since I received a new base and while I'm happy it's not turning off on me, I have noticed the FFB changes dramatically while driving and it has me frustrated and concerned. I'm using the same Fanalab FFB settings, same car with same setup, same track, same in-game FFB settings.

The easiest way I can describe it is it sort of feels like a switch gets flipped and the way the FFB feels changes immediately, sometimes multiple times per lap. There's 2 distinct feelings, one where the FFB is much lighter and one where the FFB is much heavier. This affects what I'm feeling through the wheel in every sense - on straights, during turning, over kerbs, etc. In one of these "modes" kerbs feel really smooth with just a slight vibration as I drive over them. In the other "mode" the wheel actually jerks when I run over a curb and I can feel each individual rumble strip. Similarly, sometimes the car feels like it's floating and I can't get a good sense of grip and other times I can actually feel the track surface and it's texture.

From what I can tell, it mostly feels like this switch happens after a crash or after a high FFB corner. I'm thinking it either has something to do with the shaft moving & being unseated/reseated or with the power cable moving around & providing inconsistent power.

Sorry for the long post but I'm looking for advice from anyone that's had a similar issue. I've already added ferrite beads to all my cables and I've tightened all the bolts on the QR and the shaft collar with no success.

Comments

• If youre on the newest driver dont use natural friction, its a known bug.

• Natural Friction (NFR) can create a weird FFB sensation and not smooth feeling after some time, we suggest to set it to OFF in case you get this issue. You can raise the Natural Damper (NDP) slightly to compensate for less NFR. For P DD this will be addressed with the re-write mentioned above, after that the improvements will be rolled out to the CSL DD as well.
  • Thanks for the input, but unfortunately that's not what it is. I'm on driver 439 using Maurice's profiles and I have NFR off.

For me the problem doesn't happen over time or build up and get worse over time. It just changes between strong FFB and weak FFB almost instantly and often multiple times per session. On one lap the kerbs might feel really smooth and on the next lap I'll feel the noticeable bump and each individual groove.

• That does sound unusual, you can either wait for the new driver to come out or downgrade to a different one like 429 to see if its a driver related issue or hardware issue. Personally i have no issues using the 429 driver.

• Did you ever find a solution to this? I think I have a similar symptom. Sometimes, when I'm in a long corner with a holding force, I get a big clunk vibration from the wheelbase and from that moment onwards the FFB feels weaker, in both cornering and riding kerbs etc. It happens very sporadically.

I'm wondering if it is related.

• I did not unfortunately. Your issue does sound very similar to mine though, I sometimes get a clunk before the FFB changes too but not every time.

I've added ferrite clips to all the cables, moved it from the surge protector straight into the wall socket, and tightened all the bolts on the shaft clamp and wheel QR with no luck so far.

• I have the same problems any solution?

• Hi guys, I have the same problem with my DD1. I can initially feel all the bumps and kerbs on track - such a beautiful feel. Then there's a slight "clunk" in the feel and I lose all feel of the track and kerbs. The car feels very floaty with absolutely no FFB from the tyres and track surface, including kerbs.

Has anyone found a solution to this? I'd be grateful for some help.

Thanks.