McLaren GT3 V2 wheel cracking / failing

Fanatec McLaren wheel

McLaren GT3 V2 wheel cracking / failing

Within 6 months of ownership I noticed a different feel when shifting. Upon closer inspection I noticed fine cracks where the shifter pivot pin is located. It is a very thin plastic as per attached photographs. I sent this concern to Tech Support and the sales department. The Sales dept responded letting me know they will forward this issue to Tech Support.  The area of concern completely failed with sections breaking away. I continued to contact Tech Support without reply just like many other customers (unfortunately). 

I really love this hobby so I decided to do something about it so I could continue to use an item that failed way too early as per photos taken.

I will now lodge an application with the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal (NCAT) seeking a replacement under the Australian Consumer Law unless I get a reply from Tech Support.

https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/consumer-rights-guarantees/repair-replace-refund

Please let me know if you have experienced a similar problem.

Regards

George

Sydney Australia.

Comments

• I received great news yesterday. The team at Fanatec have agreed to replace my wheel. Its amazing how different a reply can make you feel. I have just placed a clubsport wheel & quick release back on my wish list.

• That was quick!

Would have thought they will need 2-3 weeks to reply to you.

• I did wait more than 3 weeks before posting. I have no idea if my post has anything to do with the response. Either way I’m happy they replied and will be even happier when I get the replacement wheel. Love using it.

• Do you need to send back your unit before they will send out a new one?

• I've never heard of Fanatec operating any other way. There are so many things that they could do to make life easier for their customers, but they refuse to do so.

• I’m yet to find this out. I have sent enough photos to hope they will provide the replacement so I’m not left stranded (so to speak).

I can use mine atm due to my repair so my fingers are crossed they send the replacement and I will return the old one once received.

• George GaleaGeorge Galea Member
    edited June 2022

What I received from Fanatec. I selected the replacement rather than repair:

”Hi George, 

Thank you for replying. 

We will take care of the wheel and have it repaired (or replaced for you). The RMA is prepared and the shipping instructions will be with you as soon as possible. 

Just before we proceed, can you please provide me with the serial number of your wheel? I will need it in order to further process the RMA. 

In the meantime, in case you have any questions, issues or concerns, please let me know. I will be glad to help!  

Best regards / Freundliche Grüße

(Fanatec Support Team)”

• I had an issue with a wheel (the Gran Turismo one that comes with the DD Pro bundle) where they sent me what looks like a used unit. I would have preferred if they fixed my unit instead

• I will remain optimistic and see what happens. I have to admit I was quite proud of myself with my repair job. I wonder if they’ll give me a job.? 😂

• edited June 2022

Heeeeyyyy, I’m from Ireland and I got my McLaren Gt3 v2 with the All Metal Quick Release around the end of October/ start of November 2021. 7 months ago or so.

I bet you can guess what I was disappointed to discover last night…………….Photos below…

Look familiar? Like VERY familiar?

Spooky how very very similar those crack patterns are in the plastic housing under the quick release mount / near the orange shifter pin. right?

Could this be made in the same batch as yours? Manufacturing process defect possibly? Or bad plastic?

Either way, I don’t believe in coincidence at all, no way. This is now a pattern with near identical failure pathologies.

Thank you absolutely sincerely for sharing this on the forum, it has relieved my stress of thinking I broke it and will be completely out of pocket getting another.

It will also help fanatec moving forward with RMA’s of this type of failure pattern for these wheels made around the same time of year 2021, that is if they do the right thing and acknowledge they now have a definitive pattern of failure rather than an isolated incident.

Calling Fanatec today!

• Hi Joseph,

Thank you for posting your images as well.

I was very gentle when I installed the quick release, using the fingertips only when tightening them to make sure that the brass thread did not pull through the plastic housing.

Even doing this did not seem to make a difference. I understand that this wheel is at the bottom of their range however it is still more expensive than the thrust master and Logitech set that I owned, that did not fail in such a way after many years of use.

I really hope they replace it soon before I submit my tribunal application and a date is set as the rest of the system is absolutely brilliant.

I have the CSLDD in the load cell pedals, Love it.

George.

• Hi George,

Ya perhaps I tighten them too tight, but not all thread points are identical and the fact you have cracks exactly where I do, while having installed it with such care…

Im an IT support engineer myself and it’s one thing to have the brass threads coming out like mine, but to have the crack patterns and locations so similar means it would have failed regardless (yours proof of that).

Where I work this would warrant at least a low level investigation, maybe to see if anyone else has already received a replacement or RMA for the same thing.

I will update you after I talk to the UK/EU support team.

• They went from offering to repair or replace (which I requested replacement) to now asking to pack and post it in for repair.

I sent the following reply:

Hello,

Unfortunately you are not complying with the Australian Consumer Law.

I have lodged an application with the NSW Civil & Administrative Tribunal seeking a replacement.

https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/consumer-rights-guarantees/repair-replace-refund#:~:text=If%20a%20product%20or%20service,under%20the%20Australian%20Consumer%20Law.

https://www.ncat.nsw.gov.au/ncat/about-ncat/contact-us.html

On 21 Jun 2022, at 7:19 pm, Fanatec Webshop . <[email protected]> wrote:

Hello George,

We kindly ask you to send us the defective product (CSL E SW McLaren + Quick release ) for repair in accordance with the instructions listed below:

⦁   If you have moved, please update your address information in your Fanatec webshop account and inform us via email

⦁   Write the RMA number 

RMA/42455 F 

clearly visible on the package

⦁   Please include all items that were in the product package, like power cables, connectors, etc. You are not required to send in other hardware if it was not specifically requested above. If possible, use the original packaging.

⦁   You are responsible for packing your product(s) securely, so they do not get damaged during shipment. Fanatec will not bear the cost of possible damages resulting from negligent packaging.

⦁   Return address:

FANATEC SERVICE 

6 Dudgeons Lane, Unit 4

Bangalow 

NSW 2479

AUSTRALIA

⦁   Delivery of the goods only permitted to the specified return address and with the cheapest method. Additional costs incurred by using other delivery options will not be considered

⦁   Shipments without freight prepaid will not be accepted.

⦁   Please send your shipping receipt by email to ⦁    [email protected]. We will refund this cost when your repaired unit is sent back to you. Please provide your paypal email address.

When we received the return shipment our technical support will do the repair and send the unit back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards / Freundliche Grüße

Alicja

(Fanatec Fulfillment Team)

***If you reply to this email please choose the reply-function of your email program***

***Falls Sie auf diese Email antworten, benutzen Sie bitte die Antwortfunktion Ihres Email-Programms***

Endor AG

E.ON-Allee 3, D - 84036 Landshut

Phone +49 (871) 9221-122 | Fax +49 (871) 9221-221

E-Mail: [email protected]

Web: www.endor.agwww.fanatec.com

Sitz der Gesellschaft Landshut - Handelsregister Landshut HRB 5487

Vorstand: Thomas Jackermeier (Vorsitzender), Andrés Semsey

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Andreas Potthoff