CSL brake load cell failure lost signal voltage regulator

George GaleaGeorge Galea Member
edited September 2022 in Pedals

Within 4 months of light use my FANATEC McLaren wheel cracked at the shifter pivot point and where it mounted to the QR. I was accused of over tightening although I used a torque wrench set at 3nm. 

FANATEC eventually replaced the wheel chassis admitting in writing it was a weakness in the wheel.

Very soon after my CSL load cell brake pedal failed. I sent a video before sending the pedal set back as requested.

I was required to make a follow up email after not hearing back.

FANATEC said they can not fault the pedals asking if I want then sent back which I found a strange thing to ask.

Eventually they were returned however within minutes I experienced the same issue which was consistent with magnetic interference from the CSL DD wheel base before the load cell pedal would completely shut down.

I was beyond my limits at this point and driven to warn as many potential customers as I could while demanding a replacement.

Following the usual delayed response, FANATEC then offered a replacement only if a show proof that the faulty load cell was again on its way back to them.

Keep in mind I have owned this new product under irregular for 6 months when 2 major failures occurred.

An electric technician overheard my experience and offered assistance.

I was able to demonstrate the issue and within minutes the technician diagnosed a defective voltage regulator attached to the load cell circuit board. 

The voltage regulator is designed to reduce 5 volts coming from the wheel base or USB down to the required 3.3volts. There was no signal out of the regulator which he replaced.

I am now enjoying my sim racing again while I hold my breath for the next FANATEC failure.

And no I’ve never fitted the USB and wheelbase connectors at the same time.

I understand electrical components can fail at any time. What I don’t accept is why FANATEC were unable to test and diagnose a failure that I could replicate and another technician could rectify in minutes.

Comments

• Hello. I had a similar issue with my CSL LC pedal and just reported it to Fanatec support yesterday. Since the problem seems to be a defective hardware, probably the support will result in RMA, but i my case i bought the product in USA during a vacation trip and i live in Brazil, which probably would make things harder and longer...

Im electronic engineer, so i decided to take a look into it. Opened the little black box and started to analyze the circuit. Found a PIC18F microcontroller. Checked the 3V3 power supply and got no voltage. Then followed the power supply path starting from the 5V on the USB port and found this 3V3 regulator, which is apparently the LR6219 from Leshan Radio Company. The component is receiving 5V properly, but the output is dead.

For me it will be easier to fix it by myself instead of doing the RMA process. But this definitely a quality issue. Honestly, this Leshan Radio Company does not seems to be a good quality manufacturer.

• Just replaced the regulator and it is working again! My preference was the part from Microchip MCP1702T-3302E, which is probably the one used on the original design before BOM cost reduce process with chineese exclusive parts. If you have same issue, you can try to find on your local electrnic store other alternative parts from global manufacturers:

AZ1117CR2-3.3

AP2127R-3.3

AP7215-33YG

AP7365-33YRG

HT7833

RT9161-33GX

RT9161A-33GX

RT9162-33GXL

RT9166-33GXL

RT9166A-33GXL

UM1550Y-33