Formula V2 LED lights not working on Xbox, Xbox blames wheel manufacturers

I've always heard that the reason the LED lights only work on PC and not consoles is that the software in the consoles won't allow them to work. So I thought I would pose the question to Xbox why won't they allow racing wheels to have full function on their console.

They responded back blaming manufacturers like Fanatec.

Their response, "The creators of your steering wheel must create an Xbox driver to support their functions and then lobby game makers to include it with their game. Driver support must be baked into each individual game.

So they’re the ones you need to request to get it done.

Steering wheel makers will typically list which games are supported in the literature".

So I don't know who is to blame. I just want it fixed.

Comments

• This issue has been going on literally for years, and there have been numerous discussions about it on these forums. Here are just a few, there are plenty more if you search:

https://forum.fanatec.com/discussion/22625/calling-all-fanatec-xbox-users-proof-that-additional-wheel-inputs-can-be-achieved#latest

https://forum.fanatec.com/discussion/22003/xbox-fanatec-wheel-button-support#latest

https://forum.fanatec.com/discussion/21827/clubsport-steering-wheel-formula-v2-led-display-and-extended-button-support-on-xbox-series-x#latest

https://forum.fanatec.com/discussion/24546/limited-button-and-led-support-on-xbox#latest

https://forum.fanatec.com/discussion/23917/xbox-functionality-and-fanatec-sdk-status#latest

To summarize, the other big issue besides the leds and rev lights is the very limited button functionality on Xbox. Fanatec wheels only support buttons which appear on a standard Xbox controller (ABXY, LB/RB, etc). Any additional inputs such as toggle switches or rotary dials either don't work at all on Xbox, or they are duplicate inputs and can not be reassigned to other functions.

Bottom line is, things like rev lights and led panels CAN be done on xbox compatible wheels right now - Thrustmaster has their latest Ferrari F1 replica wheel to prove it. They also have their range of flight sticks and yokes to show that many more inputs than that of a standard controller can be achieved.

However, for whatever reason, Fanatec have chosen not to use whatever development method TM have employed, and do not currently offer any Xbox compatible wheels with rev lights, working led displays, or expanded non-standard button support. Some have said that companies like TM have used "loopholes" to make their products work, suggesting that such a method is inferior to how Fanatec would prefer to implement such things. For such features to be implemented "properly", it's been said that the Xbox OS /SDK needs to be "opened up".

Well...I don't know about you, but as a consumer, if I were just getting into sim racing and I really wanted those features and I saw a product that has them vs. another which doesn't...I'm pretty sure I wouldn't give a flying you-know-what about a loophole, and know where my money would be going. But that's just it... Fanatec draw you in with their "elite" reputation (at least as far as the console market is concerned) and their slick advertisements for their DD line of products (which, notably, TM have yet to release), and that's how they get you. Xbox users think they're going to be getting this "elite" experience, and many are not aware of these frustrating limitations before they've already spent hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars. It's the very reason why I've all but abandoned the platform and race almost exclusively on PC now.

Anyway... latest word that I've heard is that this "opening up" of the Xbox OS /SDK was supposedly being looked into, and there is a plan to have it roughly coincide with the release of the new Forza Motorsport title. Granted, that was originally supposed to mean sometime around, well...NOW. But obviously that game has been pushed back, so who knows what will happen. But if past history is any indication, my guess is "nothing".

• Yeah, add me to the list of unsatisfied customers who found absolutely no evidence prior to purchase, on any of the marketing materials, of the fact that all of those fancy controls on the very expensive 'xbox compatible' formula v2.5x steering wheel I bought wouldn't actually function on xbox. You'd think they'd at least feel obligated to mention that xbox-compatibility does NOT imply that all of the buttons and knobs and switches on the steering wheel actually do anything at all. I felt like it was intentional bait and switch, and as a result, I can guarantee that when I upgrade from my CSL DD base, it will NOT be to a fanatec system. They lost me as a customer basically as soon as I plugged the thing in for the first time. I could live with the limits, but I'm unwilling to reward the deception. Clearly, the company had decided they don't have to worry because console customers were locked into fanatec for DD wheels until 2 weeks ago, but for those of us who can afford to move to PC, that kind of dishonesty by omission has cost them whatever good will they may have started with.

• Gregg DomainGregg Domain Member
    edited October 2022

To be fair, Fanatec do show the following in the product description of the Formula 2.5x wheel:

That link to the FAQ takes you here:

I can't say for certain, but this particular FAQ seems like a fairly new addition. I don't remember seeing anything like this more than a few months ago, maybe a year, tops. So the info IS out there. But they certainly don't go out of their way to make sure Xbox users know what they're getting. I guess there's the argument that if you're going to be spending this kind of money on a product, you should do your homework first. But then again, reading that something is "Officially Licensed for Xbox" and "features full Xbox Compatibility" (as stated on the product description page)...it's not unreasonable to expect people to see that and think that all the features being touted will work on Xbox.

• I just want the LBS and RBS buttons to work - those exist on the Xbox controller, so I've never understood why they don't work on Fanatec wheels.

• Just switched over from thrustmaster to fanatec. Can say I’m far from happy finding out that after spending all this money that zero LED’s work, and I cannot map all of the buttons, especially considering led’s, and button mapping was no issue with the thrustmaster equipment. Yes doing your due diligence when making a purchase is on you, but at the end of the day we are consumers deciding to go with one company VS another because of their reliability, and reputation. There’s zero reason they shouldn’t blatantly tell you what’s not going to work on Xbox, they clearly know. I feel a little Cheated, it would be like me who is an plumber, charging full price for a job, then letting the consumer find out that even though they paid me all this money, their faucet works, but instead of a full stream of water they only get as dribble. Three of my other friends who also got into sim racing (we all got the same setup) are also not happy. When we make the switch over to PC at some point, fanatec will be the last company any of us use out of spite, we feel like they took advantage of the situation, that ain’t right.