Any new fix for DDpro/GT7 wheel slipping?

RJ DRJ D Member

I’m an early adopter and have had the DDpro and GT7 wheel since the 8nm package was released.

from day one the wheel base is loose (my previous CSL was perfect). I tried adding the tape as suggested here, which fixed some of the “play” but now there is play (slipping) again. Also with the tape on the wheelbase metal connection, the wheel is so hard to remove, I’m not even using my F1 wheel.

will the QR2 fix this problem, and if so will it be provided to users like myself who have been suffering with a poorly designed product from day 1?

Comments

• I'm having the same issue. The QR supplied with the McLaren rim started to slip so I've swapped it with the one from the GT wheel and added some tape. It's ok for now but we'll see. QR2 will be expensive, they won't be giving it away.

• thanks for the answer- this is so disappointing. I sold my CSL for the DD- pro.

• I don't think there's any fix apart from tape.

I got a replacement QR lite as I had slip on my original one, but that replacement unit was far worse than the first. So I added tape and so far it works. Quality control is bad on these

• Unfortunate to hear this. Seems like poor design rather than quality control during manufacturing. Total fail. Fanatec needs to step up make this right.

• I'm also on DDPro+QR1-Lite. Below is what works best for me in minimizing small slip. Not a permanent fix, but a workaround.

I used 1/8" width graph tape (painter tape or electrical tape cut to thin 1/4" pieces should also work fine I think).

Put tape along the side of key slot (see pictures). I put 2 strips on left side then 4 to 5 strips on right side (why more on right side? because my wheel when in rest is offset about 3 deg to the right. It helps maybe very little but every little counts).

Side tapes should retain plastic key portion of QRLite, thus removing side slip when turning. By having tape on the side, I believe it doesn't compromise QRLite functionality when it is tightened.

This may not work for everyone, especially those who change wheels frequently. Just information sharing as this works for me, and saves me $ & time before QR2 is available. Good luck!

• Tae, thanks so much for posting this. I wouldn’t have thought about using tape on the wheel end also! I just used tape on the DDPRO end. Regular electrical tape didn’t seem to help, so I used a thicker Gorilla brand tape. It did help at first, but of course it makes it very difficult to remove so I have not been able to use my F1 wheel since receiving the faulty DDPRO.

The wheel has started to slip again (but less so) and it’s just not a pleasant experience to drive with something so shoddy. If Fanatec doesn’t accept responsibility for this poor design, I will personally let as many know about Fanatec/Endor’s problems delivering quality products.

• Hi RJ D, I agree, QR-Lite design could be more robust. I like the tool-less concept and idea is good, but tolerance and/or quality control may have been overlooked. It's almost as if design didn't go thru extended user test prior to release. It's shame, again, I do like the concept.

I didn't try the electrical tape, but I can imagine it can grab to surface and cause annoying tear. I still think painters tape might be worth a shot, it's surface is not as "tacky" so it may allow wheel to go on/off little better. To me, graph tape I used has similar tape surface texture as painters tape, and I can remove my wheel freely. But I guess that also depends on how much tape you apply.

Anyway, best of luck and thanks for sharing your experience. Looks like we're not the minority, I see others having similar negative experience.

They should provide 50% QR1 to all DDPro owners I think.

• Yes.

The qr lite is garbage. They replaced mine and a month or two later it is exactly like the first one. A FREE replacement with AT LEAST QR1 would be reasonable...

I have been emailing with them for months about this as well as the L2/R2 garbage switches, BOTH of them broke off after a few months of daily driving. They replaced them eventually, with the same garbage plastic levers 😒 Poor design on both. They said that the wheel is polyphony designed and they can't change it...

Now I am waiting to see about black Friday "deals" and will probably try the clubsport BMW wheel, great, ANOTHER $350...

I saw a boosted media video about the "Fanatec wheel ecosystem". The guy said - CSL is the entry level, but the GT wheel is below that..." The support email recommended the BMW Club sport to "convince me of the Fanatec quality".

• Check the BMW wheel is compatible with GT7 if you plan on using it for that. You can't remap the R/G/B/Y buttons in game so you may not be able to change the MFD. I've got the McLaren wheel but that has toggle switches that fortunately do work the MFD.

• How would I check? I asked the guy in email if there were issues with it and GT7 and he said "no".

• A guy in another thread just said he has the Clubsport RS and was able to remap in GT7 by selecting the dd wheel.

• Lee RitchieLee Ritchie Member
    edited November 2022

I have the Clubsport RS , I was able to remap the funky switch to change the MFD in gt7, not able to use the rotary switch on the funky switch but re mapped the up ,down, left, right to operate the MFD in race

edited November 2022

To map the funky switch on the Clubsport RS in GT7.

In the settings select Fanatec GT DD Pro

Re map the D-pad Left, Right, Up, Down to

MDF Left, MFD Right, MFD Up, MFD Down.

That worked foe me

• q445187q445187 Member
    edited November 2022

Thank you. I am hoping the BMW Clubsport goes on Black Friday special.

Does the RS with the QR1 still have the popping and creaking that the qr lite has?

edited November 2022

I have had no issues with the QR1, no noises from it, its solid.

I purchased the wheel, dd pro and pedals separately as the GT dd pro premium bundle was always out of stock.

It cost slightly more than the dd pro bundle but the Clubsport RS wheel is really good and for pedals I went for the CSL Elite V2 which are amazing.

You can tell the quality in the wheel and pedals,

On ebay there seems to be an abundance of the Gran Turismo wheel at an extortionate price, you have to ask, why are people selling just the wheel? Speaks for its self.

• Good to hear, except ebay, I will be putting mine on there.