Can someone help me diagnose this issue with the CSL Elite WB + P1 wheel for Xbox?

Hi all.

I'm from Australia.

This is a bit of a long one. Sorry about that.

About 10 months ago I bought a CSL Elite WB (the old one CSL E WB), CSL Elite P1 for XBOX steering wheel and CSL Elite pedals. I upgraded the to the load-cell pedals about 6 months after.

A month into using the setup, I ran into this issue: https://youtu.be/SOGcNHN6_IM. The PC and F1 2019 would detect the wheel as present but none of the inputs would work. I contacted support and they said it must be a grounding issue as I was using with the Playseat Challenge on the carpet. I never got to fix the "grounding", but the issue went away after a few days. I didn't want to RMA as I didn't want to take the risk of them returning it as-is saying there was no issue as this didn't happen 100% of the times.

Throughout the next few months, the issue popped up randomly - like once or twice a month. When I disconnected the pedals, powered up, then connected the pedals, it would most of the times resolve, so it wasn't much of a hassle, especially since if it powered up correctly, it would stay working until turned it off.

Few days ago, the issue came back. But now it's worse that ever.

• when it doesn't start correctly (same as the original issue), the LED display on the wheel shows garbage (either non-changing, or changing), and the power LED blinks in red. Also, the rev lights don't complete when the wheel spins while powering up; the red and yellow LEDs light up but not the blue LEDs. This is NOT a new development.
  • Now I see a dot on LED display all the time - even when I'm racing in F1 2019 and the speed is indicated. There is the dreaded dot. I'm not sure if it is in the same place always. It doesn't appear on the turning menu though. Weird. (This is a new development. Ref to this video: https://youtu.be/1Ey26Rl0qAs?t=18) Note: I noticed that the wheel was no longer calibrated in that video and I have recalibrated it now. I don't know how it happened!
  • I can no longer turn off the wheel base by pressing the power button!!! I have to pull the plug. (This is also a new development. Ref to this video: https://youtu.be/U57fom_LHJA?t=53)
  • The menu of F1 2019 would open randomly in-race (again, I feel that happens when I quickly turn the wheel) but the wheel would no longer function. Buttons don't register. The game still detects the wheel is plugged in. (It otherwise shows controller disconnected message). Couple of times something like in this video happened! Ref to this video: https://youtu.be/f4ydwM_dC1g. The menu popup when I crashes with Gasly, and then what happens all happened without my intervention.

What do you guys think? Is it the wheel or the wheelbase? Have you seen anything like this before?

I'm in the market for a formula style wheel (like the e-sports F1 one) and I might get it and see if it is the wheel or the WB. Right now I don't want to send it to Fanatec for RMA especially these days with delivery troubles.

Appreciate any input.

Thanks

Comments

• So, I inspected the rim a bit and I felt that the fit wasn't sturdy. I took the rim out and put it back in and tightened as much as I could using the shorter end of the provided Allen key. Since then I haven't noticed the weird in-game ghost button presses, and the difficulty to start up.

Two of the issues still exist. The dot that moves horizontally randomly on the display (like a decimal point) which for example, when travelling at 200kmph, you see 2.00 or 20.0 or 200. at any given time. And I still cannot turn off the WB using the power button. Have to turn it off from the wall.

Fanatec Support finally got back to me and told me to check the pins which looked fine. And they are happy for me to send it for inspection. My concern is how much they are going to charge for the inspection and delivery IF they claim there is no issue. The two existing issues seem promising, in that, they are not random, so it might not magically get fixed during transit.