QR1(Metal) Wheelside on GT DD Pro, to lubricate or not?

My question is specifically regarding the GT DD Pro which is an all metal shaft and the metal QR1.

Should I lubricate the shaft and or quick release since it's metal on metal contact?

I was considering Automotive Brake Silicone Lubricant which I already have and in my mind think it would be a good choice.

Since opinions vary so much, I'd like an official Fanatec answer if possible.

Thanks in advance,

Frank

Comments

• Silicone is not a lubricant, but rather a protectant. It has very different characteristics than real lubes, but it's hard to explain for me as I'm not an English speaker.

I wouldn't use it on mechanical locks that use steel ball bearings for strength. And in any case read the packaging carefully, on many products it is written not to use them for this specific use.

• I've always known silicone to be a lubricant, so I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing.... you can do your research to verify this.

What I mentioned that I have is clearly labeled as a Brake System "Lubricant". It is silicone based and meant for metal on metal and rubber, as it says on the tube.

Not sure what "Technical" Vaseline is vs Regular Vaseline and I'm curious to know the reason Fanatec doesn't recommend silicone base for metal on metal.

• We are talking about the same product. What is sold as a lubricant, oil or silicone grease, actually has very different characteristics from common oils and greases. Silicone is a polymer, and has protective and gripping characteristics. It is a great product to protect rubber, but also metal surfaces, such as firearm bluings.

In fact, the product you mention must be placed between the pad and the brake caliper, two parts that must not have much reciprocal movement. Silicone tends to knead the mechanisms and reduce movements, it should be used in those points where you don't want too much mechanical play, to prevent them from wearing out.

Furthermore, and you can easily verify this, in the form of grease, silicone is actually a gel, therefore a very viscous liquid, it drips and enters every crack. Normal grease, on the other hand, has anisotropic behavior, i.e. at rest it behaves like a solid, maintaining its shape and volume, while as soon as it is subjected to a force, it behaves like a liquid. So silicone has a tendency to go everywhere (even in electrical contacts if you put too much), while a grease like vaseline is "used" by the same mechanism in the right amount, while the excess remains where you put it or in the accumulation points.

Unfortunately silicone also has a tendency to jam bearing steel balls. As I have already written, this is indicated on many packages of silicone-based lubricants. You can really throw out a mechanism if you lubricate it with silicone. Can it actually lock a QR1 to the point where you can't take it off? I don't think I'm talking about CSL DD and DD Pro, but it could definitely on DD1 and DD2, because they generate more force and also the rubber hub part could swell. Many have steering wheels stuck to their DD1s and DD2s, and I'm pretty sure they used their favorite grease on them.

But it won't be really dangerous on DD Pro.

So why not use it? Because that would be using the wrong product for the wrong job, potentially destroying your steering wheel.

A drop, I repeat a drop, of real multi-purpose oil, or motor oil, that you have at home, spread on the hub with a cotton-bud (those for ears), will be the right amount. An oil spray, such as wd-40, is also fine, provided you spray a small amount into a small container, and wait for the volatile part to evaporate. When only the oil remains, pass it over the surface with a cotton-bud.

• Thank you Alessandro!!! This is a great answer and very much appreciated! Not everyone likes this much detail, but I've always been one to need to know the "why" to do do something, not just do this or that or use this or that, so this makes more sense to me and I can clearly see the why.

Thanks again!

• Tae YooTae Yoo Member

Thanks for this educating discussion.

Couple of follow-up questions: 1) if I'm using the secure screw to lock the wheel to the hub, does it negate having this lubricant applied? I would think there will still be some metal to metal contact so may not be a bad idea to still lubricate., 2) any concern on using white lithium grease as an option for lubrication?, a drop then spread. Thanks.

• Yes, if you have it at home, use that. But spray a bit of grease into a container, wait for the solvents to evaporate, and apply the grease directly using a q-tip or small brush.

The spray is not easy to dose, and the solvents could damage the rubber seals. You have to use very little quantity, just a film to avoid wear of the parts in contact. Whatever amount you have in mind, put less.

• Tae YooTae Yoo Member

Thanks Alessandro! great information for the community.