Legal Concerns Over Delayed and Unresponsive Order with Fanatec USA - BBB

Hello,

I am compelled to express significant disappointment and concern regarding my recent experience with Fanatec USA. On November 19, 2023, I placed an order totaling over $1,300 for the following items: ClubSport Steering Wheel BMW GT2 V2, QR2 Wheel-Side, Podium Wheel Base DD1 QR2, and CSL Elite Pedals V2. At the time of purchase, all items except the QR2 Wheel-Side were listed as in stock, with the latter being available for pre-order for November 30, 2023.

My concerns extend beyond customer service issues to potential violations of consumer protection laws. Specifically, the lack of communication and failure to deliver purchased goods in a timely manner may constitute a breach of the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) regulations and the Consumer Protection Act.

Since placing my order, I have encountered several issues. Despite multiple attempts to contact customer service for updates, I have received no communication regarding delays, estimated time of arrival, or tracking numbers from FedEx. This lack of response, coupled with an inaccessible customer service phone line and full email inboxes, is unacceptable and potentially violates consumer rights. Additionally, I am troubled by the possibility that the warranty period for my purchased items may have commenced, despite not having received them. This practice may be considered deceptive under various consumer protection statutes and requires immediate clarification and rectification by Fanatec USA.

In light of these concerns, I urge Fanatec USA to provide immediate updates on the shipment of my products, extend the warranty period to start from the actual date of receipt, or offer a full refund. As a consumer, I am now considering seeking legal counsel and will be filing formal complaints against Fanatec USA/Endor with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) (as of 11/17/2023). These practices appear to border on predatory and fraudulent, and it is essential that they be addressed promptly to comply with legal standards.

I remain hopeful for a swift resolution and still wish to receive my order. However, I strongly encourage other consumers who have faced similar issues to voice their concerns and consider taking appropriate legal actions to protect their rights. Companies like Fanatec USA must adhere to ethical business practices and respect consumer protection laws.

Thank you.

Comments

• Jesus Christ, some of you people are a bigger joke than Fanatec's logistics.

• I'd bet most folks aren't laughing, I agree with Zach holding companies feet to the fire when they abuse the trust of the consumer is essential. However, if you find the whole situation amusing, feel free to have a good chuckle.

• Nah, just one of many people choosing reasonable responses to product shortages and overselling. It's not like Fanatec have come into your house on Christmas Day and pissed on your kids, mate. It's a steering wheel. Deep breath.

• Americans are granted consumer rights and have organizations and legislation in place to protect them. They protect against fraud, false advertising, and predatory actions. Did you read my post? My concerns aren't about not getting my products quickly. It's about the actual business practices that Fanatec USA are choosing to involve themselves with ie. no customer support, warranty's beginning without receiving a product, etc. Please read the post in full next time and remember that different countries have different consumer laws.

Some questions I would like to ask you Oliver and Gareth... Is my initial post attacking Fanatec USA verbally? Am I calling for them to go out of business? Am I calling for the CEO to resign? Am I calling for a class action lawsuit?

Not every person on here is a kid complaining about not getting their sim gear before Christmas. Some of us are working adults who expect to get what they pay for and not get a work around from a company. I am simply stating that I feel they are in violation of consumer laws. The same violations which over time have most likely led to the situation they are currently facing. I am then calling on other customers who feel their rights are being violated to use the proper channels to ensure Fanatec USA are held accountable and to the standards their product demands.

Fanatec offers a high end product. That's why we are all here. They are the industry leader and have been for a long time. It is time they evolve to their consumer needs and adhere to consumer protection laws.

• Just because some people choose to exercise their right to contact agencies that are in place specifically for the consumer when means to get results through the business has failed, doesn't make them over reacting or an unreasonable response.

Similarly people that choose to do nothing but take a deep breath, does not mean they are under reacting or is also an unreasonable response.

To each his/her own.

Be kind that takes little effort on everyone's part.

• Thank you for the support David!

• Again I agree with Zach, as I filed a complaint with the BBB against Fanatec USA early December. Not because I wish harm or ill will towards Fanatec, but because I hope they recognize their current ways of doing business are unacceptable to some and perhaps they could rectify these issues so that future customers are not in a similar situation.

All this could have been avoided by better communication, which should go without saying, as the vast majority of people have the same question.

When will I get my stuff?

• David DeGreefDavid DeGreef Member
    edited December 2023

Thought I would share with you the experience I have had so far.

Just an update on the BBB complaint filed Nov 28, not really a surprise I guess that Fanatec USA chose to ignore. Although there is an interesting nugget in the message.

This is the complaint that also included e-mail from Fanatec.

Fanatec opened pre-orders on their ClubSport DD wheelbase mid October stating available Nov 7. I placed an order for this on Oct 21. On Nov 6 received an e-mail from Fanatec stating the item would be delayed until Nov 14. On Nov 10 on the Fanatec website my order was updated to IN PROGRESS. Attached is the latest correspondence that does not reference expected delivery. Fanatec stated that inquries to customer support is at least 14 days and the only information is that my order is 'stuck in the system' and that they appreciate my patience and understanding. The delay is not so much the issue as is collecting money and missed delivery date with no indication of when I can expect my items that are paid in full.

• edited December 2023

Thank you for the update David along with the tidbit of information you shared. I was aware BBB has no legal authority. That being said, it is a great way to document interactions with a company when preparing for potential litigation and disputes on a credit card while also warning other customers of said companies lack of communication or services. I feel litigation may be required in this matter and I will consider all of my options upon the completion of BBB's due diligence.

• Nope, the BBB is not a governmental agency. But I do know who is. LOL

https://reportfraud.ftc.gov/#/

• Sadly, Fanatec is well aware that these agencies in the US and abroad have no legal authority to actually take action against them.

This is why they are like this, because they can. Because customers keep buying........

Fanatec has always had pretty poor customer service. It has always been their #1 complaint.

This is not the first time Fanatec has done something like this.

Hopefully, with the competition starting to become more prevalent and bringing to market better and better product at competitive prices and decent customer support, this will hurt them on the bottom line and force them to change their business model to stay competitive.

Time will tell I guess. I am not holding my breath though :)

• I think once a company decides to do business AND have operations in the USA, or any country for that matter, the laws and protections include the country in which the consumer resides.

If Fanatec were shipping directly to consumers from Germany or China to the USA it may be more difficult to hold one accountable.

All speculation on my side, but nonetheless I'll proceed and find out I guess :)

• There has to be some legal precedence of not even being able to contact a company and cancel an order. I understand businesses have backlogs from time to time, but having zero avenues of responsive communication is deceptive and causes major concern from consumers as it should.

I would like the option to at least cancel my order if it will not be shipped and/or processed within several weeks/months/who knows maybe even a year???

• I was doing a little bit more digging on consumer rights and found this. An interesting read that lays out delays and what a company doing business in the USA are obliged to follow. Specifically the '30 day rule' and how delays longer than that the business is required to have acceptance from the customer on the new date and also provide the customer to cancel their order for a full refund if date is unacceptable.

An exception to this is less than 30 days from order, but after that notification is required.

My order is approaching 60 days with no definite ship date and have neither been asked to accept a new date nor cancellation during this period, with the exception when my order changed from IN PROGRESS to Order in Process. Of course the only reason why I saw the cancel button was because I check my order several times throughout the day...everyday.

• Reasonable response - sure - when they have a reasonable response. They have been silent, when they do speak its flat out blatantly obvious lies - claiming to be 3 days behind when the forums are absolutely packed full of people STILL WAITING MORE THAN 2 weeks.

It is like they came to my house and pissed on the Christmas because not only have they lied about they state of the backlog. They have stated that if you order something now, and do overnight shipping - that they will get shipped right away, before all the other backlog of ground orders. My kid isn't getting his gear and I have to scramble to figure out an alternative in a short timespan.

That right there is why we all should be extremely upset. They have stated that if you order again, with overnight, you can get it before christmas because you go to the front of the line. Buy more and you'll get it now! BUY MORE - GIVE US MORE MONEY NOW AND MAYBE YOU'LL GET IT WHEN NO ONE ELSE DOES

F U fanatec. I've bought 3 wheel bases, pedal sets, and 5 different wheels but this is the last time I will deal with this crap. Next set of upgrades will be with a different vendor.

• I just commented on another post with my own gripe with an order. After reading these comments it seems to me that Fanatec will not change their business tactics in the short term. I only went with them because I own a PS5 and felt that they were the best fit if you are looking for a direct drive. I'm considering moving to PC so I have better options in the future. Good luck with your orders and Happy Holidays!

• Last night I finally received notice from FedEx that they have my order which was placed on Oct 21 for the CS DD. Although good for me I am not happy that others are in the boat I was just days ago.

I am going to continue to monitor the forums and pass along an opportunity to view and sign (if inclined) a petition I started regarding some of the issues we have been experiencing with Fanatec https://chng.it/CfWvgmVk6G

This is not to bring pain to Fanatec but perhaps give them pause as to how they are turning longtime customers off and perhaps losing new and future customers and make noticeable change to improve immediately.

I am not advocating for cancellations or going to another brand, I simply want the brand I have supported for 15+ years to have all their process be as robust as the product.

A weekly update on number of units shipped, current backlog, lead time, etc...would be an excellent start until which time process improvement can be developed and implemented for long term.

• Clearly, you know nothing about Fanatec's business practices because you just joined last November 2023. I have purchased many of their products since 2017 and this is an ongoing problem. Be respectful to other here, you probably haven't experienced any delivery issues with them. What everyone is saying here is real and it is not a joke.