McLaren GT3 V2 or F1 esports for GT7?

Hey,

I'm just upgrading from a G29 to a DD Pro (8nm) and asking myself which wheel i should get. I love the design of the McLaren, but it seems you get much more value for your money with the F1 (QR1,better paddles, alcantara, 2 more buttons).

Does anyone of you have both and can recommend one for special reasons?

Thanks!

Comments

• Frank TschepeFrank Tschepe Member
    edited February 7

i have both and both are very different. The F1 is a small wheel where get the forces of ffb more direct. The rpm and flag led are very helpful and i like the 7 segment display in blue. So in general it´s better for formula cars. One Plus is that it´s very stable because it have a black aluminium frontplate. very very good quality and magnetic shifters are great and this for 220 euros

the Mc Laren Wheel is one of the best wheels because with 30 cm the size is perfect and it feels very good in your hands. with that wheel you can drive everthing exept rally for that you need a round wheel. The wheel have enough buttons and 2 rotary switches and 2 rocket switch. the switches you can use for ABS, TCS, Break bias and fuel mixture etc. Price is unbeaten but i would buy it CS qr1 metal or QR 2 lite or OR2. Quality have improved from V1 but it´s costs 200 euros so fanatec must made compromises with material. but the quality is still great. people with 25nm bases uses this wheel.

on youtube you´ll find hundreds of videos that a review this wheels. I would buy first Mc Laren and then F1 Esports

• Have both here also. McLaren V2 + SimMakerz magnetic paddle upgrade, & Formula V2.5.

I think McLaren V2 would have been perfect IMO if Fanatec added their magnetic shifter on it. McLaren rocker style paddle shifter is not as ergonomic for smaller hands/reach. I also noticed when I fast down-shift McLaren sometimes miss shifts. Not sure if this is my unit defect, or the shifter itself. There's aftermarket adapter to add Fanatec magnetic shifter onto McLaren V2, so I may try that down the line.

As Frank also mentioned, Formula wheel is smaller than McLaren, so you'll need more strength to turn the wheel (or lower force to accommodate). I like Fanatec magnetic shifter that comes with Formula V2.5 wheel, it is very crisp in engaging

They are both good wheels overall... personally McLaren first, then wait for Black Friday for Formula wheel deal.

• edited February 7

Thanks for your recommendations1

I can get a used McLaren with magnetic shifters from a "Clubsport F1 2019 Special Edition Wheel". Would you recommend such a mod? It is about 200,-

• Hi Georg, I do Not believe magnetic shifter from CSP F1 2019 wheel is compatible with McLaren V2 wheel. I do not know. I think the older version of Fanatec mag shifter is not as good as the most recent version.

I only know of McLaren V2 wheel MOD that works with the more recent version of Fanatec magnetic shifter (see below pic)

MOD below is for McLaren wheel with this is from Etsy.com

Below is F1 2019 wheel, and paddle shifter looks like the old type.

• No its not compatible by default. He made it with a 3d-printed adapter.

This is how it looks like:

• But the rotary-switches do not work on playstation, right?

• That's not true. The rotary switches on the PS5 work for me. I use these with ACC for TC and ABS. I have set the switches to Constant and stored each number accordingly in ACC. This means that the value set on the wheel is always the value in the vehicle. :-)

• I can't speak for F1 2019 wheel, but my Formula V2.5 wheel rotary works on GT7/PS5. Left rotary in GT7 = Fuel map, Right rotary = Brake balance. Afaik, you cannot change or remap these to other settings in GT7, which is shame.

• ok, interesting. the reviews I saw, were all about the function of these switches are "dead" in GT7.

we are talking about these ones, right?

• I only play ACC (PS5) and they definitely work there. so, compatibility is given. If they don't work with GT7, then it's up to the game or wrong Button-Settings.

• I have the McLaren wheel, the two rotary encoders aren't supported in GT7. The toggle switches work the MFD by default, the left cycles through the hud and the right makes changes.

• Thanks for your support. I bought the used McLaren with the magnetic paddles, mentioned above.

• Ahh, that's my bad, I thought we're talking about F1 2019 wheel rotary near thumb area.

Yes, correct, McLaren front rotaries are not functional for GT7.

Good choice with McLaren wheel, it's my favorite along with Fanatec magnetic shifter.