Steering Wheel Compatibility

13»

Comments

• Doesn't every other wheel has some sort of angle, even if it is built into the base?

Fanatec bases have. But other DD bases like Bodnar, Accuforce, OSW etc don't.

The CSW 2.5 is completely flat but is delivered with a special angle adapter inclusive to change that easily.
    The CSL has already an own sort of angle,
    but the DD's, as you see on the picture, are also complete flat.

And Fanatec don't offer any angel adapter for the Podiums, nothing included and also nothing to buy...
    and you need special ones because of the longer depth of the wheelbase...
  • Could be a little awkward if completely flat, I know real cars are slightly angled, not sure about race cars though
  • Could be a little awkward if completely flat, I know real cars are slightly angled, not sure about race cars though
    I wonder what the actual ergonomics versus engineering requirements are though?

In a real car we have tilt steering wheels primarily to adjust the height. Going back in time when they were fixed, the angle of the wheel was almost a straight line to the steering rack. As  we've advanced steering wheels are now more vertical.  F1 cars the wheels appear to be vertical, but the driving position is very laid back.

I have my CSW adjusted to be at 90 on a 80/20 rig and I have no issues with it.
  • Any word on the Podium Advanced Paddle shifter kit?  Still on track to ship in April?
    I wonder what the actual ergonomics versus engineering requirements are though?

In a real car we have tilt steering wheels primarily to adjust the height. Going back in time when they were fixed, the angle of the wheel was almost a straight line to the steering rack. As  we've advanced steering wheels are now more vertical.  F1 cars the wheels appear to be vertical, but the driving position is very laid back.

I have my CSW adjusted to be at 90 on a 80/20 rig and I have no issues with it.
    Back in the day even though the wheel was a straight line with the steering rack the rack would be angled upwards so you still had that angled wheel, I am kind of surprised fanatec does not have a angle bracket in the pipeline for the DD, I would assume they have reasoning behind that
  • With a DD1 / DD2 one needs a solid rig, and all the sim rigs I've seen have adjustment for the wheel angel so I don't see the problem..
  • Thomas JackermeierThomas Jackermeier Member, Administrator
    Dear Thomas and the company Fanateс!

I want to appeal to you with a big request for help in obtaining true, honest information about our products, which I have already bought and want to buy more, but before me stands a wall of an iron curtain of information (((. I wrote more than one letter to your support service, Of course, they answered me, but their information is different from the general information on the site and from various sources. I ask you, I beg you - to give information to me, the simple buyer of your products. The following questions:
    1. Will I be able to use a BMW GT2 steering wheel with a dd1 base (ps4) - your website does not have information about this, but your support service says that you can ... after that I bought this steering wheel (I have proof of answers), but I heard in one review that this steering wheel will not work at 100% based on the DD1-DD2, the steering wheel recognizing-seeing this steering wheel will reduce the power of the fitback - I would really like to hear the truth - is that so? If so, why did your service deceive me and not give an exact answer? You have little money? so say simple and straightforward - give money! and I would list them to you just the way you feel now that you have deceived me!

2. The same problem with the wheel Mklaren GT3 - I also asked this question to your service more than once - I ask you Thomas, I beg you to tell the truth about the compatibility of these wheels and how they will work with DD1-DD2 - will they reduce and by how much? (I also bought this steering wheel myself, based on the responses from your service!)

3. I want to ask you about the steering wheel of a Porsche RSR 918 - will it work with DD1-DD2 and will it work without reducing the base's efforts? - I ask you Thomas, I beg you - honestly answer this question.

4. And after the question, which I’m sure will reflect the opinion of thousands of your fans, but who crossed out you from the circle of people ... I ask you very much to answer Thomas ... this difficult question (I understand that he is off topic, but at least you can do for ordinary Russian people who are far from politics)

Tell me why for many years you have been selling your products all over the world, but you are not selling to Russia? Do you know Thomas, how do we suffer and experience for this reason?
    Your products cost us 30 and sometimes 40% more expensive than you sell to other countries. I know that many years ago you sold to Russia, but then you left ... We are simple buyers who endure difficult problems in order to buy - I don’t understand how we differ from any other country - if you do it for political reasons - then type courage to say that Fanatek is a rosist company and it distinguishes its customers by their origin!

There are many companies in Europe that sell to Russia and they don’t have any problems with customs or with delivery - the most famous example is ComputerUniversal - I am sure you know this company!

I also know that you have already been approached several times at Simexpo exhibitions with a request to give the Fanatek the opportunity to return to Russia.

Thomas, I am a simple Russian consumer who has been buying your products for almost 10 years and suffers from terrible non-amenities ... To buy my favorite product I bought tickets to Germany on an airplane and flew to pick it up, I asked friends, I asked resellers to do it ... and so do all the people from Russia - well, do you want Thomas in order for us to finally be able to buy from you like real people and buyers from you officially ??? Tell me Thomas!
    I can't stand before you on my knees, but if I could, then I would do it to get at least an honest answer ...  I am 40 years old - how many more years do you need to make this step towards a meeting with a Russian buyer? - can I see this in my life?

I ask you Thomas to give these answers! and I hope and deeply believe that you will not ban me and disconnect my account - which I buy with big problems ...

Thanks you !

I forgot to say that I am not asking you to make a special price for Russia and sell cheaper - I ask you to consider the possibility of selling to Russia from your European office at any price, but to have a real opportunity to buy from YOU!
    1., 2. and 3.  We have wrong info on our website and it will be corrected right away. Thank you for telling us!
    All steering wheels are compatible to the Podium DDs and only if you use a steering wheel with simplified QR system (plastic) then the torque will be reduced to ClubSport Wheel Base level.
    So if you run the McLaren with the ClubSport QR then the base has full power.

4. Besides Russia there are several territories which are not covered yet. Whole Africa, South America and most of Asia for example so a quite big part of the world.
    Selling products to you and shipping it to anywhere in the world is no problem. But we also do care about customer service in case something breaks. Our products are big and expensive to ship. Shipping a unit back and forth can easily cost more than the product itself. 
    Besides that it is quite an effort to maintain the documentation and website in your mother language. We also need local subsidaries and logistics if we want to do it properly.
    We want to expand and selling to Russia is definitely a very interesting market but it will still take some time.
  • edited March 2019

Thomas Jackermeier, a small suggestion what you guys from Fanatec could/should offer additional is a new kind of angle adapter. I think the old one from the CSW wont work with that kind of 'depth' of the Podium DD's and it will be hard to change the angle in any way.

I would be very interested to buy something like this and maybe many other as well :)

Greetings,

HomieFFM
    We could probably make some more money by tolerating  the use of  our steering wheels on OSW but those customers could end up in a bad surprise with damaged products without warranty. Therefore please take the compatibility notes on our product description serious and use your Fanatec products only in the way they were designed.

About the angle mount , there is different case with CSW , CSW depth only 158mm , but DD depth is 239mm , if doing 20° for DD base , the wheel rim will become very high position
  • Gavin DaviesGavin Davies Member
    edited March 2019
    Hey guys, will soon be pulling the trigger on a DD1, but can you help with a few questions. 1. The PS4 version, I have heard that the PS4 compatibility is in the base, but if I put on a XBOX One rim like the Universal Hub for XBOX One or the McLaren GT3 rim that I have that will make it XBOX One compatible, I want to make sure that’s true as I want one of your new F1 style rims anyway so that be the smart option as that will be the best most compatible DD1 available. 2. Are there any other differences software, hardware and compatibility wise between the PS4 version and the standard DD1? 3. With regards to the Podium Hub, the one shown off with the Porsche rim, do you know if it would fit a OMP 320 ALU S, I already have it on the current hub but would really like to replace the button pods with something more realistic, just barely fit with how far the pods can move. image Something like this would be nice, minus the USB cable of course: image 4. With realism in mind will you be making more than one style of Podium button boxes/plates that can by sandwiched between the hub and rim, or at least two different hubs with different look and slightly different button placement to allow different wheel rims to fit? Thank you for your time.
  • 1. Most definitely 2. First pre orders of standard DD1 have a DD2 motor, other than that.. No difference as you can read in the wheel specifics list. 3. As you can read on previous page, Dominic Brennan, Fanatec, already answered them at. 4. We won't know until Thomas presents it.
  • Dear Thomas and the company Fanateс!

I want to appeal to you with a big request for help in obtaining true, honest information about our products, which I have already bought and want to buy more, but before me stands a wall of an iron curtain of information (((. I wrote more than one letter to your support service, Of course, they answered me, but their information is different from the general information on the site and from various sources. I ask you, I beg you - to give information to me, the simple buyer of your products. The following questions:
    1. Will I be able to use a BMW GT2 steering wheel with a dd1 base (ps4) - your website does not have information about this, but your support service says that you can ... after that I bought this steering wheel (I have proof of answers), but I heard in one review that this steering wheel will not work at 100% based on the DD1-DD2, the steering wheel recognizing-seeing this steering wheel will reduce the power of the fitback - I would really like to hear the truth - is that so? If so, why did your service deceive me and not give an exact answer? You have little money? so say simple and straightforward - give money! and I would list them to you just the way you feel now that you have deceived me!

2. The same problem with the wheel Mklaren GT3 - I also asked this question to your service more than once - I ask you Thomas, I beg you to tell the truth about the compatibility of these wheels and how they will work with DD1-DD2 - will they reduce and by how much? (I also bought this steering wheel myself, based on the responses from your service!)

3. I want to ask you about the steering wheel of a Porsche RSR 918 - will it work with DD1-DD2 and will it work without reducing the base's efforts? - I ask you Thomas, I beg you - honestly answer this question.

4. And after the question, which I’m sure will reflect the opinion of thousands of your fans, but who crossed out you from the circle of people ... I ask you very much to answer Thomas ... this difficult question (I understand that he is off topic, but at least you can do for ordinary Russian people who are far from politics)

Tell me why for many years you have been selling your products all over the world, but you are not selling to Russia? Do you know Thomas, how do we suffer and experience for this reason?
    Your products cost us 30 and sometimes 40% more expensive than you sell to other countries. I know that many years ago you sold to Russia, but then you left ... We are simple buyers who endure difficult problems in order to buy - I don’t understand how we differ from any other country - if you do it for political reasons - then type courage to say that Fanatek is a rosist company and it distinguishes its customers by their origin!

There are many companies in Europe that sell to Russia and they don’t have any problems with customs or with delivery - the most famous example is ComputerUniversal - I am sure you know this company!

I also know that you have already been approached several times at Simexpo exhibitions with a request to give the Fanatek the opportunity to return to Russia.

Thomas, I am a simple Russian consumer who has been buying your products for almost 10 years and suffers from terrible non-amenities ... To buy my favorite product I bought tickets to Germany on an airplane and flew to pick it up, I asked friends, I asked resellers to do it ... and so do all the people from Russia - well, do you want Thomas in order for us to finally be able to buy from you like real people and buyers from you officially ??? Tell me Thomas!
    I can't stand before you on my knees, but if I could, then I would do it to get at least an honest answer ...  I am 40 years old - how many more years do you need to make this step towards a meeting with a Russian buyer? - can I see this in my life?

I ask you Thomas to give these answers! and I hope and deeply believe that you will not ban me and disconnect my account - which I buy with big problems ...

Thanks you !

I forgot to say that I am not asking you to make a special price for Russia and sell cheaper - I ask you to consider the possibility of selling to Russia from your European office at any price, but to have a real opportunity to buy from YOU!
    1., 2. and 3.  We have wrong info on our website and it will be corrected right away. Thank you for telling us!
    All steering wheels are compatible to the Podium DDs and only if you use a steering wheel with simplified QR system (plastic) then the torque will be reduced to ClubSport Wheel Base level.
    So if you run the McLaren with the ClubSport QR then the base has full power.

4. Besides Russia there are several territories which are not covered yet. Whole Africa, South America and most of Asia for example so a quite big part of the world.
    Selling products to you and shipping it to anywhere in the world is no problem. But we also do care about customer service in case something breaks. Our products are big and expensive to ship. Shipping a unit back and forth can easily cost more than the product itself. 
    Besides that it is quite an effort to maintain the documentation and website in your mother language. We also need local subsidaries and logistics if we want to do it properly.
    We want to expand and selling to Russia is definitely a very interesting market but it will still take some time.
    hello Thomas, what do think about  selling to china and SONY PS4 Asia licensing .
  • edited March 2019
    Deleted
  • Thomas Jackermeier can you tell us something about the Podium wheel adapter you have mentioned?
    Is this a new kind of universal hub? or a new Buttonbox?

thanks for any information.
  • Thomas Jackermeier can you tell us something about the Podium wheel adapter you have mentioned?

Everything is explained in that video.

Everything is explained in that video.

Ah great, thank you, now I understand... I thought that buttonbox and podiumwheel adapter were actually one part.
    Now it make sense :)
  • Steve DuerrSteve Duerr Member
    edited March 2019
    Hi Thomas! What about attaching (with Podium Wheel Adapter + ClubSport Quick Release Adapter) an actual steering wheel from our every day cars (2-3 kg for 36cm diameter) onto the Podium DD? If electronics is needed, it could pass through a USB mod perhaps.

I would be very interested in something along the lines of what the extra mile has done with his direct drive wheel :
    Dude, is that the dash out of a 99 Saturn SC2??  The console looks a little different then i remember thou. Never mind, just watched the vid. lol
  • Dude, is that the dash out of a 99 Saturn SC2??  The console looks a little different then i remember thou. Never mind, just watched the vid. lol

E46 3 series (non M, as the M3 has grey gauges).
  •  Sorry if this question has already been discussed and answered in this thread somehow.

But will the current universal hub and QR adaptor fit the new DD1?DD2 wheel bases?
  • Joseph GossenJoseph Gossen Member, Moderator
    Yes the DD wheels are backwards compatible.
  • This forum is really useful as im trying to buy my first wheel and pedals but was wondering if the restocking of the wheel bases could happen early?