Need help installing my wheel side QR1L onto my DD+.

I submitted a support ticket on Fanatec using the My Products link for my DD+.

I reported having a "clunking" sound coming from my DD+ when turning the wheel. The wheel is a Forza Motorsports with magnetic paddle shifters, Podium Hub, QR2 Pro, and Podium Button Module Rally. So it's rather heavy.

I submitted two videos of it making the clunking sound while turning the wheel. One with power on, and one with power off.

And I mentioned that he "clunking" sound is softer when doing this with my Formula v2.5 wheel with a QR2 wheel side. Probably because the Formula wheel is half the weight of the Forza/Podium wheel.

Here is the response from Fanatec support:

Hi Mr. Jacobson,

Thank you for contacting us.

The wheel-side and base-side of the Quick Release System feature a slight tolerance in order to ensure that every Fanatec Steering Wheel can be attached to (and removed from) any Fanatec Wheelbase without problems, which can result in a small amount of play between the two parts. 

This is considered to be normal, and in the case of the QR1 Wheel-Side (metal version), the play can be reduced by using the included security bolt. 

In order to cross out the possibility your QR1L is out of spec, we will proceed and send you a replacement QR1L, so you can check and see if there will be improvement.

Once you receive the replacement QR1L and do some runs, would you please provide us with your feedback and tell us if it brought any improvement? This will be of great help for us.

If the issue persists after using the replacement, please let me know so I can generate the repair RMA.

Have a great day!

Best regards / Freundliche GrüßeJuan

Juan

(Fanatec Support Team)

Here is my support ticket and my response to Juan and his t-shooting recommendation:

SubjectMy DD+ is making a "clunking" sound when rotating wheel. It does this whether the power is on or offOriginal MessageFirmware version

Wheel base: DD+

Steering wheel: Podium Hub w/magnetic shifters

Pedals: V3

Driver version: 455

Error reproducible in error page: 1

The issue occurs: no game

The issue occurs in the game(s):

Connections: V3 pedals connected to DD+ base. DD+ base into PC using USB.

Setup: 12700k on ASUS MB with Galax RTX4090 SG.

Problem description:

When rotating wheel with power on or off, the DD+ makes a "clunking" sound internally.

Products ClubSport DD+ (ZSF0114003000600) Platform PC - Windows 10 - 64 bit

Juan,

What Club Sport DD+ wheel base has a QR1 Base Side?  EVERY DD+ I have seen comes with the QR2 Base side.

I opened the support ticket on the Fanatec web site using the "My Products" link to the DD+ serial no. ZSF0114003000600, which was sold to me with the QR2 Base side pre-installed.

And NO WHERE do I even mention using a QR1L. I've NEVER even owned a QR1L

Obviously, you didn't read the complaint of my DD+, or watch the videos I sent, or you would see the QR2 attached to the DD+.

Your response provides absolutely no help whatsoever, if it doesn't even apply to my DD+ using a QR2.

G. Jacobson

Now today I received an email from Fanatec telling me a QR1L is being sent to me to resolve this issue.

So, I patiently wait for the QR1L to arrive so I can mount it onto my wheel and destroy the pins of the wheel trying.

This is a prime example of why Fanatec is failing.

The support team doesn't even know the capabilities of their own product line.

Comments

• Allan LehtlaAllan Lehtla Member
    edited September 17

it sounds that your hardware have defect and needs a repair.

there are some people who report this "clunking"

not everyone are affected with this issue.

that QR1 talk sounds little funny because DD+ never had QR1

"clunking" sound may come yes also from QR1L but that is not case at in DD+ because that part is solid in DD+

• "This is a prime example of why Fanatec is failing."

also i'm agree with you at that.

unfortunately i seen even this in company where i been work,

usually those people may not last very long there tho.

• edited September 17

This is off topic I know but it is but an example of the dysfunctional support.

This same person in support had be chasing around for a wheel rim serial number. There was none.

The only support that exists are these forums

The lack and standard of support wont change as it's the same people running it. Still be no reply's to emails just an automatic reply saying "It may take our agents 3-5 days to get back to you." But never do get back. I've had a Clubsport DD+ on order here in Australia since 2 Sep still at the warehouse. This was to replace one that failed and sent back. Promise’s of a refund on that hasn’t happened yet. No replies or updates received about this. I have other items for refund since 2 Aug. Still have them and no advice where to send them. No replies about this either. We'll continue to get no help or replies to emails from support. That wont change.

At this stage I'm out of pocket on pedals wheel etc. and two Clubsport DD+'s and and have nothing I can use. Oh yes and the first DD+ failed on the first day.

• Support are pretty useless. Is there a higher level people can complain to?

• I generated support ticket on 9-14.

Juan responded on 9-16 with the ridiculous idea of sending a QR1L to me, to try on my wheel to eliminate/mitigate the clunking noise emanating from inside my DD+.

Juan wants me to email him back with the results. Do you think I need to wait for the QR1L to arrive before I email him back to tell him the results? /s

Does anyone think Fanatec would repair/replace my out of warranty wheel if I tried what Juan suggested, and try and fit a QR1L onto the QR2 base side DD+?

• edited September 18

Gee you must know someone on the inside to get a reply that quick. LOL. I wouldn't be complaining about getting the wrong answer. I'd be happy just to get a reply.

edited September 18

you can't fit QR1L to the QR2 socket, so it not really can damage the pins self.

but you could answer him back , that i added the QR1L and when push that to the base, my steeling wheel self drop into The floor

• yeah but that not really help a customer, there also people in world who not know much either at they hardware, and they can fall into this trap themselves

• Said with a smile Allan. Good luck to him that he got a reply even if it was wrong. I rarely get reply's from support. If I do it's weeks later.

• its like two kids argue Each other how to add QR1 into QR2 socket

but same time "clunking" is a actually the hardware failure what needs a repair

• @Lindsay Cripps

Fellow Australian here:

1) Best to get your bank, Paypal or credit card companies to do cash back procedures and you send all the equipment back if and when you do get the RMA info from Fantatec sorted (This may not even be possible), maybe too late due all the things happening at Endor AG.

2) Wait it out as 5 weeks or more is reported response times for Fanatec to respond to any problems with gear or payments.

3) ACCC for consumer rights info: https://www.accc.gov.au/

4) Customer options after failure of Company to resolve issues :https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/problem-with-a-product-or-service-you-bought/where-to-go-for-consumer-help#state-and-territory-consumer-protection-agencies

5) Involve media coverage, such as "Current Affair" or the like to shame company into doing something.

I hope it all works out for you, in fact all of us Fanatec users and Endor AG and workers. (Hope for the best, but expect the worst).

• UPDATE:

I received an email from Fanatec as follows:

Fanatec Support

2:18 AM (11 hours ago)

Hi Grant,

Thank you for your email.

In both the original and the second email you sent, there is no video attached where we can see the model you have or observe/hear the issue.

I kindly ask you to attach the video you mentioned so we can use it as a reference.

Have a great day!

Notice that there is no name on the email? Too embarrassed by the previous t-shooting recommendation of attaching a QR1L to a DD+?

The reason they didn't know the model of the base, or see the videos i submitted, is probably the same reason they made the ridiculous suggestion of sending a QR1L to me to try and resolve the issue.

They/Juan didn't read or view the original support ticket opened on the DD+, on the Fanatec web site "My Products" page.

Where ALL support requests are REQUIRED to be submitted from.

Makes you wonder what Fanatec/Juan read to come to the conclusion a QR1L would resolve the issue on a DD+?

REGARDLESS of the "clunking" issue, a QR1L is not compatible with a DD+, so what Support Ticket did they read?

• I hope I'm not coming across as being rude.

I am merely providing information to future Fanatec customers as to the level of Support they will receive if they purchase a Fanatec product.

I am not concerned whether this will affect how quickly Fanatec resolves the issue with my DD+.

And I certainly hope Corsair will be able to able to continue the Fanatec product line and resolve their financial issues.

I am on my third Fanatec wheel base, CSW v2.5, CSL DD, and DD+, and the resolution of this issue will decide whether I will continue to support Fanatec by purchasing their products.

edited September 18

no, you are not rude, you have your rights as customer

only way make company better is tell them truth what you think.

act as child, then they answer back also as child's

• True, but sometimes my "frustration" can leak out onto my keyboard and be borderline obnoxious and rude.

• like i tell already before it's a TJ fault, he was a Boss and he needs keep eye what he child's are doing in work

• UPDATE:

Hi Grant,

Thank you for contacting us.

I have created an RMA to send your ClubSport DD+ to our workshop for analysis and repair. You will be provided with shipping instructions in a separate email.

Once we receive your hardware, an automated confirmation email will be sent to you.

Let me know if you have any further questions in the meantime, and I will be happy to assist.

Thank you for your understanding and time, have a nice day!

Best regards / Freundliche GrüßeJuan

(Fanatec Support Team)

Now were talking!

Hopefully the repair/replacement is quick.

Go Corsair/Fanatec!