Stop Podium PS4 DD1 FALSE ADVERTISING!

The DD1 for PS4 is advertised as "...matched compatibility with the CSL Elite..." Yet it lacks 2 modes the CSL Elite wheelbase has.

The purple and yellow compatibility modes were essential to play Dirt Rally, the ONLY PS4 fully VR racing title, currently. I bought the PS4 DD1 with the intention of playing mostly rally games, WRC 8/9, Dirt Rally/2.0. I booted up Dirt Rally on PS4 mode and started a race, as soon as I left the start, I felt nothing. The wheel recognized the rotations I was doing but no feedback from the road surface. I was a bit shocked but I remembered my CSL Elite wheelbase needed to be in Purple or Yellow mode for the game to work properly, I switched the DD1 to "PS4 Comp" and figured I was good. Unpaused the game and still. Nothing.

No other modes worked. I looked online and couldn't find a way to switch to a secret mode.

Then, just recently I thought I might look to see if there was a recommended fanatec setting for the Podium DD1 and Dirt Rally, there was NOTHING! Dominic (Fanatec community manager) even stated its not possible since the DD1 PS4 wheelbase lacks the compatibility mode that the CSL Elite has...

The top-of-the-line Podium series should not lack any features an entry level wheelbase has. Especially since it is something I assume could be added in a firmware update.

Comments

• edited September 2020

Strange for Dom to say it is not compatible and yet Fanatec giving suggested settings for your game Dirt 2.0. šŸ¤”

I think that is for sure is that the settings you had in the CSL will not be 100% the same when you use them on the DD series.

šŸ¤”

• Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator

Hi Douglas,

'Matched compatibility with the CSL Elite' means that the Podium Racing Wheel F1 works with every game that natively supports the CSL Elite. The original Dirt Rally (PS4) does not support the CSL Elite natively, which is why it needs to be put into a special mode. But I can appreciate that this could be defined more clearly. I'll make sure there is a note added to the product page.

There are no Recommended Settings for the original Dirt Rally on PS4 for the Podium series.

[Fanatec Community Manager]

• I already own a broken csl elite. Im good! ;)

Its being worked on by fanatec.

• Well, a note at the bottom of the description is a start in terms of not falsely advertising but why not just add the modes so it will be compatible? I know you are not going to be doing the coding personally but I understand you have the ability to communicate with the team in a way that we cannot. It makes no sense to me why a lesser model has any features the flagship models do not.

I dont understand why it cant just be a similar function like holding the tuning and triangle button for 10 seconds (like holding the mode button for 10 on the CSL). I would even settle for just a purple mode equivalent, the only reason I preferred the Yellow mode was the Handbrake was analog in that mode.

Dirt Rally is an older game, I know but it's not like I'm asking Fanatec to squeeze ffb out of Cruisin' USA for N64. The telemetry for Dirt Rally is there and its possible for it to work, it just needs to be done.

• Dirt Rally and Dirt Rally 2.0 are seperate games. Dirt Rally 2.0 works perfectly most of the time with the DD1.

On PS4, there is only one true fully playable VR racing game and that is Dirt Rally. When Im not playing online in Dirt Rally 2.0, I prefer the more visceral VR experience of the original Dirt Rally, even though the driving physics feel a bit too tight imo.

• Sorry man. Wasnt clear that you were talking about for the old dirt rally. Thought you were saying for 2.0

• You're good! I used to hate how dirt rally 2.0 felt on my csl elite since it didnt have the extra headroom, the wheelbase would feel dead at the upper end of the torque spectrum. With the DD1 Im able to keep my 8-10nm of ffb and have extra for the road surface detail mid-turn!

• edited September 2020

Any plans on correcting the issue or is it just going to be ignored? I cant see including these extra modes being a negative thing.

Until Dirt Rally 3.0 there is nothing upcoming in the near future for console VR compatible rally games.

This is a big problem to me and really interferes with my overall satisfaction with this product.

• Hello,

are there any news regarding this compatibility mode? I mean, what exactly is the issue to add this to the Podium F1 Wheel Firmware?

In my opinion a premium product like the Podium F1 Wheel should cover all those features.

So what is the restriction here? I didn't get it.

Many thanks!

Cheers,

Thorsten

• Dear Dominic,

do you see a slight chance to find some time in order to reply on this discussion here?

Many thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Thorsten