CSL DD with boost kit 180 weak steering lock?

Was wondering if anyone else had this issue. I just got my csl dd with the boost kit 180 and mainly use it for drifting in assetto corsa. I love the way it feels but when you hit steering lock the wheel is easily able to go past the max degree of rotation by at least 30 to 40 degrees. This makes it very misleading when drifting because I tend to think I have more steering angle than I actually do. I realize I'm using a dd now and the rotation is almost endless but this feels almost comically weak compared to my pervious wheel a thrustmaster t300. This is almost a deal breaker for me and had thoughts of selling this wheel base. So does anyone have a solution for this or do I have to hope that fanatec will make it stronger with a firmware update?

Comments

• I got a bit overwhelmed when I noticed that the CSL DD was a really a blank canvas when it came to personal use cases. You really can simulate now, this is no toy (you can still have a lot of fun with it though).

So it is all there in the settings, but change one at a time and learn what they do. Some settings contradict other games settings and whatnot.

And base setting is not the same as game setting, create a drifting profile on the base.

Good luck, hope someone more knowledgable can gymkhana you to success.

• My previous comment apparently was consumed as a sacrifice to the great forum gods... so... here we go, I'll attempt to reply again.

I could be wrong, but I think you've unfortunately discovered one of the few drawbacks of the CSL DD. Because it has no physical rotational limits, it has to rely on its torque output to simulate these limits. 5Nm (or 8, as the case may be) is fine for simulating most forces encountered while driving, but it's simply not strong enough to simulate a hard steering lock limit. Most people will be able to push right through it. If you can push against peak cornering forces of 8Nm to hold a slide, then there's no more force the base can offer to give you something that you *can't* overpower, like what you'd need in order to feel like there was a hard physical limit there. For that, you'd need something capable of higher torque output like a DD1 or DD2. (Assuming you'd want to stay with a direct drive base).

• Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator

Gregg is correct, it is impossible to create a physical stop on a direct drive wheel base of this design. The simulated end stop is already functioning at max torque, it cannot be increased with a firmware update. It would be the same on your T300 (or any base) if you set a lower steering rotation limit in the driver (so it also has to simulate the end stop rather than using the physical one). The only way to simulate a strong end stop on this type of direct drive system is with a more powerful motor, as you find in a DD1 or DD2. The other reason why you might not be noticing the end stop is because we have a smooth ramp up in resistance towards the rotation limit, rather than a 'sharp' one. This is to avoid the 'bouncing' of the wheel at the limit, which many users think is a fault.

[Fanatec Community Manager]

• Dominic,

I remember this topic coming up in another thread not too long ago and I don't recall what the answer was: is there any chance that the end stop behavior could, at some point in the future, become something that's user-selectable? Having a choice between a hard stop or a smooth ramp would be interesting to me... better yet, a range of values (maybe 0-100 to define the "abruptness" of the stop?)

• Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator

Hi Gregg, unfortunately I can't confirm that this would be possible in future, but your feedback has been noted.

• I'm facing the same issue but not in drifting. This is sad