Navigating menus with Clubsport Universal Hub for Xbox

Nick ZieglerNick Ziegler Member
edited March 2022 in Steering Wheels

Hello. I just ordered some Fanatec products to use on consoles. My previous wheel was a Logitech G920, which has a very conveniently placed d-pad. I didn't think of it much before ordering, but it looks like the hub has directional buttons on the top. However, games like F1 (MFD) and others have some menuing while driving, and it's kind of nice in general to have arrow buttons near your left thumb. How do people handle these issues with the universal hub? Is there a good mapping solution for most situations on console? In general the buttons look inconvenient and I'm wondering if I made a mistake and should go with the WRC wheel instead. Or just use the Gran Turismo wheel I'll be receiving and order a Drivehub for Xbox.

Comments

• Hey Nick,

The funky switch/dial (button with the big X for X-box) on the universal hub is mapped to the same directions as the D-pad on top of the universal hub, it works a bit like a joystick but functions as d-pad inputs on Xbox. You can also position the buttons on the universal hub wherever you want within the wheel, just follow the instructions to remove the front plate, loosen/tighten the right bolts, and reposition wires if necessary.

Cheers,

Ben

• Thank you! The buttons really look out of the way but I suppose I won't know until the wheel arrives. Hopefully I find the funky switch accessible and easy to use.

• Yup - the universal hub is a strange design. What might not be obvious is that each button cluster and the "funky switch" d-pad thing are on bolt on stalks so they can be removed and re-positioned in various configurations. Depending on the rim you are using you might still find them a little out of the way and awkward though.

• Nick ZieglerNick Ziegler Member
    edited March 2022

Yeah, the way the buttons have to be positioned between the wheel spokes is odd and I have to say I'm kind of wishing I ordered the WRC wheel and maybe even added the Mclaren for the same price as the R300 and hub alone. On the other hand the wheel looks very nice so I might be really happy when it arrives (tomorrow!). I wish Fanatec offered more standalone wheels with buttons mounted inside the wheel itself instead of this modular design.

I'm only getting the 5Nm GT DD Pro wheel base, do you think I'd be better off with a lighter wheel? I didn't really consider wheel weight when ordering but I wonder if a heavier wheel with a weaker base might diminish the force feedback's usefulness.

• Gregg DomainGregg Domain Member
    edited March 2022

If I've interpreted Fanatec's info correctly, this is what you're looking at weight-wise:

Clubsport Universal Hub for Xbox = 705g, 1000g w metal QR

Clubsport R300 Wheel = 775g

(Total for CUH Xbox + R300 + Metal QR = 1775g)

WRC Wheel = 1280g w metal QR

McLaren Wheel = 1280g w metal QR

So you're looking at a difference of right about half a kilo or about 1.1 pounds. I can't tell you if you should have gone with a lighter wheel package, but it does stand to reason that the more mass the motor has to turn, the more rotational inertia there will be, leading to a less immediate, less precise feeling while driving.

But that's not to say that you won't get everything hooked up and will love how it feels. Depending on what you're used to and what your prior expectations are, it may be perfectly acceptable to you and you'll have a great time with it.