Fanatec Driver 447 (Prev. Official Release) (Prev. 445-446) for CSL, CSW and Podium WB (all wheels)

Comments

• Yes. That is a solution. But I use the set screw. Between taking it off and putting it on, goodbye race.

• After a week of almost being able to update everything on my DD1, but either getting stuck on the Motor flash or somehow getting the Base flashed first and screwing everything up, I finally made it all the way to 447.

My steps/notes below:

1. Uninstall the previous drivers by going to:
      1. Settings
      2. Apps
      3. Installed Apps
      4. Fanatec driver package
        1. Click the three dots ( ... ) on the right and select "Uninstall"
        2. Go through the prompts until it's completely uninstalled
      5. Restart your computer
    2. Unzip and install the 447 drivers
    3. Restart your computer
    4. Unplug the USB cable connecting the DD1 from your computer and plug it back in
    5. Power on your DD1
    6. Open Fanatec Control Panel
      1. Click Firmware Update
      2. Click Open Firmware Manager
      3. Click Update
      4. If you have any luck like mine, the first time you do this you may consistently run into errors after the Steering Wheel and Quick Release firmware updates. That's okay! Each time I restarted the Fanatec Control Panel app, the updates actually went through.
      5. If the Motor refuses to update, you can try:
        1. Closing the Fanaetc Control Panel
        2. Going to: C:\Program Files\Fanatec\Fanatec Wheel\fw
        3. Opening FwBaseMotorUpdater.exe
        4. If, when you open this, you see an error like Error: Connect device failed(Error: UartPeripheral() cannot open PC UART port(), speed(19200 Hz).). then exit the firmware updater, turn off your DD1, and unplug the USB cable.
        5. Restart your computer
        6. Plug the DD1 into another USB port
        7. Power on the DD1
        8. Repeat Step 6 from above

Those last few steps might require multiple attempts. It took 3 different restarts and USB ports for the app to finally recognize my unit and run the update normally (through the Firmware Manager in the FanatecControl Panel).

Hopefully, this helps someone, as it had me pulling my hair out initially.

• I can't accept that a Chinese brand like Alpha Mini has a more advanced panel and firmware settings than Fanatec's.

We need a soft lock setting. We can't drift having 1080 steering lock and bouncing the wheel so hard!

Come on Fanatec it's not that hard to add it.

• Andy ZhangAndy Zhang Member
    edited October 2022

Is anybody else getting the error about "reading versions.xml" when first opening the fanatec control panel or plugging in the wheel with the control panel open?

And is anybody else seeing a lot of weird UI (the steering angle not updating sometimes) and extreme sluggishness in the Fanatec Control Panel in this version?

• No. Try uninstalling driver and Fanalab and reinstalling.

• Andy ZhangAndy Zhang Member
    edited October 2022

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling a few times, along with running the repair. I don't have Fanalab installed at all.

When I look into the logs, I see that it's trying to open something like "C://Windows/fw/versions.xml" but I couldn't tell what that was about from Googling.

• Hamilton Pytluk Member October 17

After a week of almost being able to update everything on my DD1, but either getting stuck on the Motor flash or somehow getting the Base flashed first and screwing everything up, I finally made it all the way to 447.

My steps/notes below:

1. Uninstall the previous drivers by going to:
      1. Settings
      2. Apps
      3. Installed Apps
      4. Fanatec driver package
        1. Click the three dots ( ... ) on the right and select "Uninstall"
        2. Go through the prompts until it's completely uninstalled
      5. Restart your computer
    2. Unplug the USB cable connecting the DD1 from your computer and plug it back in
    3. Restart your computer
    4. Unzip and install the 447 drivers
    5. Power on your DD1
    6. Open Fanatec Control Panel
      1. Click Firmware Update
      2. Click Open Firmware Manager
      3. Click Update
      4. If you have any luck like mine, the first time you do this you may consistently run into errors after the Steering Wheel and Quick Release firmware updates. That's okay! Each time I restarted the Fanatec Control Panel app, the updates actually went through.
      5. If the Motor refuses to update, you can try:
        1. Closing the Fanaetc Control Panel
        2. Going to: C:\Program Files\Fanatec\Fanatec Wheel\fw
        3. Opening FwBaseMotorUpdater.exe
        4. If, when you open this, you see an error like Error: Connect device failed(Error: UartPeripheral() cannot open PC UART port(), speed(19200 Hz).). then exit the firmware updater, turn off your DD1, and unplug the USB cable.
        5. Restart your computer
        6. Plug the DD1 into another USB port
        7. Power on the DD1
        8. Repeat Step 6 from above

Those last few steps might require multiple attempts. It took 3 different restarts and USB ports for the app to finally recognize my unit and run the update normally (through the Firmware Manager in the FanatecControl Panel).

Hopefully, this helps someone, as it had me pulling my hair out initially.

Hi , i see your post about dd1 , i have the same problem with dd2 and um on a loop . if a newer firmware start the base and wirelles quick release need to update , if a old one i can execute fanatec control painel . you do all this you mentioned with what firmware , newer or older on driver 447 ?

Can you help me?

1. Thank you
  • Can you please send the Logs by using the "Collect Logs" function in the UI (if you somehow can get the UI to open) or alternatively if you cant get the UI to open then directly from the Logs folder (C:\Users\Public\Fanatec Logs), just click every file iincluded there, zip it into an archive and then upload it here.

• Hi Maurice, thanks for the reply and trying to help. I followed your recommended steps and the DD1 no longer has the fans running full bore - so some progress made. However the 'Fanatec Control Panel' is not picking up any devices, so the 'Firmware Update' button is not highlighted green / cannot be clicked - this is where I am stuck (screenshot attached). Steps 1-5 do nothing. Step 6 (turning the base off and on again) does nothing. Step 7 does nothing. Step 8 does nothing. Even the 'Firmware Manager' does not pick up any devices. Do you have any suggestions what might solve the issue now?

• Hi Marcel, the 'Fanatec Control Panel' is not picking up any devices. This is where I am stuck. Steps 1-5 do nothing. Step 6 (turning the base off and on again) does nothing. Step 7 does nothing. Step 8 does nothing. Even the 'Firmware Manager' does not pick up any devices. Do you have any suggestions what might solve the issue now? See screenshots below.

• Luiz SantiLuiz Santi Member
    edited October 2022

Hi ,

My problem is the same . On new drivers have a quick release wireless no ping WQR 6 . When go to olders drivers not update motor on any way , my motor is v30

Any one have some clue ?

I was trying this steps and have one time recover but, happen again . Lost force feedback , and when I try update lost wheel . And any update dosent work anymore

Have any way to update motor v30 with WQR 6 ?

Thank you

• edited October 2022

Motor v30 might be way too old to directly update to the newest Motor 3.0.0.2.

Try to first update it to v42 with Driver 439.

If that doesnt work then try Driver 402 with Motor v40.

And if even that doesnt work, then I think you have an issue with your WQR module which would need an RMA.

• Luiz SantiLuiz Santi Member
    edited October 2022

Ok , I go try , but my guess is , the base firmware I don’t touch ? Stay on 3.0.0.6 ?

Thank you

• edited October 2022

ah you already updated the base FW? How? When updating to the newest drivers the MOTOR needs to get fllashed FIRST, NOT the Base!

Use the Downgrade feature of Driver 447 - do NOT try to install any older driver!!!

So install driver 447, open the Firmware manager and select the actual lowest downgrade range available (336-346, Motor 30, Base 656) and try to get it working again.

• I try downgrade feature when my base recognise on new drivers , but what I saw , now with any new firmware have a WQR message .

If have any way to update the motor first on oldest drivers I go try

thank you

• You cant update a motor on older drivers with the new Base firmware, no. DO NOT INSTALL AN OLD DRIVER - ONLY USE THE DOWNGRADE FUNCTION!!!

But anyway, I fear you bricked your base. Any kind of WQR error messages are bad and hint to a hardware issue so I would contact the support to get the base repaired.

• i know I bricked my base , have more than a 15 days a try all things . I expose my case for if any one see this and have any solution , it’s not just for me , the problem is who construct this system it’s so bug, I was a normal user of all day with this brand , and it guy on my country .

we need a way to unbrick the base , I have the best product and need to send back to all work again? This is not fair , and the money to do this ?

iIts have a way to resolve this I want to know , we need a better way to put the firmware of any part of hardware and unbrick , it’s simple

Thank you of your time

• A WQR issue can not be fixed by the customer.

You have to contact the support and send the base to them, I fear there is no other way to get your base working otherwise.

• My gaming PC had a Windows (11) update today and after restarting my Fanatec gear is not being recognised by the Fanatec control panel or Fanalab.

I have tried clicking the repair driver button, but get the attached error message.

Should I try to reinstall the Windows Driver?

(Podium F1 with GT3 Rim and PBM and V3 Pedals)

• Sorry, silly question, but how do you uninstall the driver, I've only installed/updated before and never had to uninstall....

• Like every other Windows program, through the App list or through Control Panel - Programs.

• My God, what would Fanatec be without Maurice !!. I hope they reward you properly because your dedication is sublime. And your profiles to simulate I don't even talk anymore because they give Fanatec products an extra point. Because they are incredible! I hope that this is read by the upper echelons because even on Saturday you are willing to help. Thanks and regards!!!

• Many many thanks Maurice - 😎

All sorted

• Hi Maurice, after following your instructions but restarting my PC in-between each un-install / install and turning off my wheel base when restarting my PC, I can't believe I'm saying this but the issue is completely fixed! My Wheel Base is on V3.0.0.6, Wheel Base Motor is on v3.0.0.2, Steering Wheel v45 and WQR 6. Fanalab is back up and works perfectly as well. I have been pulling my hair out all week with this issue frustrated that I couldn't play F1 22 or ACC. I am truly grateful for your help on this, you're an absolute saint and a legend! thank you!

• edited October 2022

Hey guys, I have a Clubsport Wheelbase original version but was sent back due t mother board failure and upgraded too the 2.5 motherboard. My issue is that when inspecting to see if the fans were working via top panel with torch. The plugs internally do not match the rear fan and side fan motherboard sockets, basically fans are not plugged - there just chilling. I cannot upgrade my motor either nor my steering wheel anymore. Both say ping cmd - fail (along those lines).

Now ive been using my rig like this for months without noticing the fans untill trying to help family member with an issue. Maurice Böschen should be paid by fanatech, proper GOAT with the knowlede. Ive had no overheating thank god for that but would this be why my motor will not update because it cannot detect the fans? some fans would be nice lol (vibration, etc all works, i use the rig daily just cannot update nor do i have fans)

• Offering some new-customer feedback, much like many others....

I'm an electrical engineer/software developer, been doing embedded design, windows development, enthusiast, etc. for about 30 years.

I just bought a dd2 with e-stop and csl elite pedals v3 from eBay.

The system wouldn't turn on. I'd installed 447, fanalab and couldn't get a light turned on until I remove the e-stop. The first time, I got any kind of response, I'd held the button for 8 seconds and it went into bootloader mode. It then dutifully (apparently) updated the base to 3.0.0 and left the motor at v42 and like others here, wouldn't connect and cost me most of my Sunday.

Insult to injury, I had created an account and still couldn't reply here, as it said there wasn't an account, until I 'logged in from US' or somesort.

I'm seriously disappointed. From what I can tell, I'm to downgrade all my drivers/software to 439, then bootloader will load a compatible version that matches the motor.

But the admonishments of 'thou shall upgrade motor first' is pretty silly for a professional product. Software/embedded developers should manage update sequencing and not allow for such things to get out of sequence.

Going to the website looking for downloads only gives me the options of 447. The only way I found 439 was to read this thread, then search the internet again to go to another forum post for 439.

Next - zip downloads don't have a version in the name so having them in downloads hides which is which.

Going back to try 439...

• i think you just need install one driver who have motor newer than then you have and update motor first

• edited October 2022

WHY was the first thing you did after the base powered-on was to press the power button for 8 seconds?

You are NOT supposed to do that! That's only an emergency scenario to use when the base appears to be bricked (eg after a failed regular firmware update)! It is NOT to regulary update the FW!

And it seems to be not the case that the base seemed bricked as it seems the base was properly working before you did this.

When the base is on an older firmware and you do this 8 second boot to flash the base, then exactly that happens what you experienced now: the base flashes new FW which cant communicate with the old Motor FW because the Motor would need to be flashed first but the 8 second bootloader boot only flashes the Base.

I can understand that you are disappointed but I am sorry but actually you must be disappointed of yourself...

Now to get the base rescued yes, downgrade the driver back to 439 and then you are allowed to do the 8 second bootloader flash to flash back FW v690 to the base which can communicate again with Motor v42.

And when then updating again to 447 then do NOT use the 8 second bootloader boot but just open the Driver and Firmware Manager and click the green automatic update button which will then flash everything in the correct order for you.

This discussion has been closed.