PS5 disconnection

Hi all,

I've recently got a full CSL DD PRO kit (8mn and LC brake)

Wheel base randomly disconnects from my PS5, all I have to do is reconnect is press the "PS" button on the wheel.

I've reseated the quick release and made sure the qr clamp is on right and the shaft is fully seated etc and it still happens.

All the firmware and drivers are up to date as well.

Kinda scratching my head as I've only just got it and the thought of sending it back already is disappointing.

The only issue I can't rule out is I'm having to use and extension for the usb to the PS5...could that be a bottle neck ? I'm pretty sure the extension isusb 2.0 and if I'm right the wheelbase port is 3.0? 

Could that be a bottleneck for communication to the PS5 from.the wheel base ?

Comments

• edited April 2023

If you are on the very latest Firmware 1.1.8.5 then it's either a broken Playstation security Chip or the culprit is the USB extension cable which should not be used on Fanatec Bases.

EDIT: saw on Reddit that you are NOT on the latest firmware. Only the latest firmware has a Firmware Fix implemented for exactly this issue.

So update to the latest driver, update the firmware and see if this fixes your issue.

• Forgot to post here again and say thanks 👍🏻

I also bought a type c extension (rooms a bit long) and so far it's been rock solid.

Thank you again 😀

• Roy SinclairRoy Sinclair Member
    edited May 2023

I am having the same problem with a brand new GT DD Pro 8Nm wheelbase.

The firmware is up to date (see attached from a brand new PC) and I am using the Fanatec USB lead direct to the new and up-to-date PS5.

During the first ten minutes of play, the wheelbase disconnects repeatedly - sometimes once, sometimes a dozen times - after which it normally settles down and stays connected. It sometimes then disconnects mid-race, which is very frustrating. Reconnection is simply a matter of pressing the PS button, but this ruins any race or test. In all other respects I am happy with my Fanatec purchases.

I normally leave the wheelbase powered up most of the time so that when I power-up my PS, the screen comes on and the wheel is ready to go.

#Maurice - are you suggesting that my new Playstation is unserviceable?

PS: I've already tried reseating and tightening the shaft collar - not that it was loose in any way.

• Marcel BotMarcel Bot Member
    edited May 2023

I also have the problem with my GT DD PRO which I received 6 weeks ago. It disconnects randomly. Sometimes it doesn't disconnect for days, sometimes it doesn't disconnect for hours, but also sometimes it disconnects 10 times per minute. I only have to press the playstation button on the wheel to reconnect.

I have tried everything. I checked all the wires. I tried all the HDMI ports on the PS5. I removed and replaced the wheel several times. Eventhough the shaft looked fine, I loosened the clamp and pushed the shaft. Then I found out there was a new firmware. So I updated with the latest driver 450. I thought my problem was gone after I updated the firmware, because it didn't disconnect for 2 days. Sadly enough the third day I adjusted the wheel setting on the wheel and it started disconnecting again. So I thought I found the problem, because disconnecting started after changing the settings. So I reinstalled the firmware with driver 450 hoping to solve the problem. I didn't adjust the settings to see if it would stay connected. Sadly enough it didn't.

So today I have sent a message to support. I hope they can solve the problem.

• I contacted support and they sent a list of suggestions, nearly all of which I had already tried. They also said to try another USB port so I switched to the front port and it worked for a racing session without a problem. I then switched it to one of the back USB ports and again it worked for a session. I have yet to give it a thorough test but as of this time it looks like the problem might have something to do with the USB connection or a port. I note that the PS5 gets very hot during racing, so I'm wondering if use of the front port might be less temperature dependant. I'll post more after further tests.

• Yesterday I replaced the USB cable with another USB cable I had lying around. I will have to test some more, but it didn't disconnect during a couple of hours playing GT7. I hope this will solve the disconnecting problem for good. Fingers crossed!

• Hi there. I got my dd pro some weeks ago and never had a problem with disconnecting. Two weeks ago I ordered the boost kit and since using it the wheel suddenly disconnects from time to time and I have to press the PlayStation button. I am using an usb extension to the rear PlayStation usb port and never had problems with it when racing with the 5nm base.

Any tips or is it maybe best to get in touch with the support.

• Fanatec tell you not to use a USB extension lead, and clearly, the USB connection can be a cause of problems. My wheel is still working well since switching to the front USB socket.

• Thank you. I’ll give it a try using the front port.

• update - I got rid of my usb extension and plugged the dd pro on the front port. No issues with disconnecting since that. Thank you!

• Alas my disconnection issue has returned with a vengeance using the front USB socket as well as either of the rears. I will now get back in touch with Fanatec support and see what they say.

• I also got these problems... done everything mention above here... what to do...

• I would say that Fanatec have got a huge problem on their hands here, as lots of people are posting on lots of forums complaining of the same issue with this wheelbase. And the biggest problem is that the fault is intermittent. I can get through two days of intense GT racing without a single glitch, then the next day (having left the wheel on overnight) it disconnects five times in as many minutes, some of which happen without my hands on the wheel i.e. whilst talking to someone. My wiring is held in a loom that does not change, and the same equipment is always used in the same way every time I use the wheelbase. I have no other electrical equipment anywhere near my rig. The USB cable connects directly to the PS5 although things are definitely better using the front socket (which points to a USB clocking/switching issue). It's not ambient heat related. It's not movement related. It's not car or track related. It is the very worst kind of electronics problem: an intermittent fault that seems to happen whenever the Gods of chance get bored.

Am now waiting for Fanatec to decide what to do.

• John fleitzJohn fleitz Member
    edited June 2023

I'm having a similar issue with my Gran Turismo DD Pro on my PS5. It will randomly stop working and the wheel will indicate that it has been disconnected. I have loosened and reattached the wheel and retightened to the DD2 multiple times. If I push hard on the wheel it will work again, almost like the internal USB connection is faulty. Has anyone experienced the same and is there a solution? Other than having to apply forward pressure continuously while racing. I am very disappointed that after spending close to a grand on a high-end wheel, I'm having much more difficulties than with my $300 Logitech!

• Thank you for pointing out my error, I actually have the Gran Turismo DD Pro. I purchased and use it specifically for GT7 on the PS5.

• That sounds like the collar needs tightening. You say that you have reattached the wheel but are you talking about the QR connector or the bolted collar? If not the collar, look elsewhere on this forum for Fanatec's guide to tightening the collar. If you have tightened the collar and are still having problems, welcome to the club!

• Hi,

I got a DD Pro and play GT7 on PS5. After connecting with the PS5 everything works well. I go to option and callibration, it detect the DD Pro. Since few days it detect the CSL Fantatec and I'm not able to switch it. So, I cannot use the buttons of the GT wheel. Who can help? Of course I switch of etc.

Hallo,

ich habe ein DD Pro vor kurzem an meine PS5 für das Spiel GT7 angeschlossen. Im Menü Option/Kalibrieren wurde das DD Pro mit GT Lenkrad richtig erkannt, ich konnte alle Knöpfe nutzen. Seit ein paar Tagen wird ein CSL Lenkrad erkannt, ich kann auch nur die Konfig für das Lenkrad nutzen... Was kann ich machen, um wieder auf das DD Pro umzustellen? Natürlich habe ich schon neu gestartet, stromlos gemacht etc.

Vorab schon mal danke.

• This forum thread is about PS5 disconnections - I suggest you open a new thread about your problem.

• Update: Fanatec offered to repair my continually-disconnecting GT DD Pro wheelbase, which I wasn't too pleased about because I wanted a new replacement. Anyway, because the only common element to getting different fault results with this issue was/is the USB port, and because we know that using a USB extension lead also brings on the problem, I suggested to Fanatec that they send me another USB cable in case the original one was faulty. Cheaper than repairing a wheelbase, I thought. And so this they did.

First I tried the new USB cable free of all other cables and it worked flawlessly for many days. Then I added the cable to my cable loom and plugged it into a troublesome rear PS5 USB port. I have now been using the new USB cable without a single disconnection issue for a week or two. So, if you have this issue, do yourself a favour, and Fanatec, by requesting a new USB lead before you start boxing things up for a return.

• I have the same issue. This has started since my original purchase in May 2023. I am using a USB 3.0 extension bc I’m in a media room and the receiver and PS5 is in the rear of the room. Should I buy another extension usb or replace the fanatec supplied usb?

• You should not use any extension cable at all, this can lead to exactly such issues.

A Max USB connection of 3 Meters is supported.

• Does Fanatec assume all users will have their PS5 within 3m? If Sony can make a PSVR2 USB Type C cable over 3m and it works fine (which I have), I would expect Fanatec to be able to accommodate users who do not have this ideal setup. Where does Fanatec state this on their product page for the GT DD Pro because if there is no ability to use an extension cable, this needs to be firmly stated for customers so we can purchase another DD wheel from their competitor.

• Apologies for coming off snarky, Maurice. I was hoping for a more helpful answer other than don't use this cable. Anyway, for anyone else who has this issue, I purchased a different brand extension cable from BlueRigger (15 ft) and after a day of testing, I have no issues. The wheel connects on the first try, stays connected, no disconnects. Link below or search amazon for BlueRigger USB 3.0 Extension Cable. I will update after long use to confirm no issues.

https://a.co/d/2mcG27B

• I have a set of headphones that for some strange reason only charges with the usb-c cable (3rd party cable) is plugged in one way. "Upsidedown" it doesn't work.

Got me thinking.

I turned the usb-c cable around on the back of the DD Pro wheel base, and haven't had an issue yet. It was disconnecting a lot. Only ever disconnected once while actually driving. But very often at PS5 home screen and in game menus, etc.

PS5 (clearly), DD Pro with 8Nm booster, QR1, McLaren V2 wheel, V2 pedals.