Elastomer load suggestion - Brake Perf. Kit Red 12mm & 13mm, Clubsport V3. Lesson learned for me.

Posting this so you won't make the same mistake I made... this is applicable if you're using V3 with BPK with different size diameter Red elastomers for your setup (12mm & 13mm). I don't know for sure, but this issue may not be as applicable if you're using harder Green because of less travel/compression.

In short = load PU foam --> then 13mm(larger) elastomer --> then 12mm(smaller) elastomer --> then align pedal rod to center as best you can when installing

Why? = because if you load PU --> 12mm(small) --> 13mm(large), there's a chance elastomers don't line up properly in the chamber causing it wear and tear.

In my case, elastomers were offset when in use(see pic). So when brake is applied and compressed, it threw off alignment between pedal bolt to the elastomer chamber, causing metal abrasion between the bolt and the chamber. See pictures for reference where abrasion took place, even with lubrication applied.

So if you're using this setup = Red 13 + 12, and you feel slight "gritty" feel at the end of pedal travel, I suggest checking your elastomer order and its positions. My issue is completely gone after re-install (elastomer size order, & re-alignment).

Tip. When installing pedal rod, center it best you can against the elastomer so that it aligns up (this is difficult as it is done blind). What I did = flipped V3 unit upside down, rotated chamber up vertically, dropped elastomers and centered it using a toothpick, then centered pedal rod with pressure on while I re-installed it. It's a bit challenging, but the key is to keep everything centered.

I also used very thin small piece of double sided tape between 2 elastomers to help keep its alignment.

This is information sharing. Hope you're not exposed to this issue on your V3 pedal. Again, I think less of an issue possibly if you're using Green elastomers, and both 13mm size elastomers instead of smaller 12mm.

inside chamber is worn due to pedal rod rubbing against it. you'll feel "gritty" feel toward last part of brake travel.

abrasive wear on top side of the chamber

Pedal rod showing abrasive wear. You can see layer under plating as it worn off. I think this is why lubrication turned black (i think)

this is how elastomers were aligned exactly when they were pulled out. They were actually stuck together so they definitely didn't re-align itself but stayed this way while in use.

this is how I reinstalled it back, with help of little double sided tape and some toothpick to help align before I put pedal rod on top.

thin double sided tape I used between elastomers to hold its axis when loading into chamber

Comments