BMW M4 GT3 QR Version

Hi,

did anyone here received their BMW M4 GT3 wheel recently?

Mine arrived today which I ordered on Dec.

In the Description it was and is listed as QR2 Pro pre-installed.

But my wheel has still the old QR1 and the firmware update cable is also QR1.

I don’t get it… I can’t use the wheel because everything’s upgraded to QR2.

My fears are I get an used RMA or something because the Order Number on the Outside package is glued over which I didn’t had ever before at fanatec (and I got many packages before)

Comments

• You have to upgrade the firmware with the QR1 cable as there QR2 cable is not finished yet. You should get one when they finish it.

You should also get a QR2. It's a bit odd that it's not preinstalled as you said. But likely it is like this because of firmware updating. I would create a ticket. Also look for a second tracking number for the QR2.

Currently I have to change QR2 back to QR1 to upgrade firmware. And yes. It sucks. That cable needs to get done and sent out. Especially as this is their premium wheel.

• That's not true. The updated product page for the wheel says "WHAT'S INCLUDED" "QR2 update cable", and the PDF quick guide also a QR2 update cable.

I don't know what they are actually shipping.

• Thanks for your reply. I created a ticket immediately I saw that. But it will take some time I guess.

the firmware update cable and switching QRs only for this wouldn’t be any issue for me. But there isn’t any other QR2 Pro in my Product List I could have a tracking number for…

• That's true. But the cable is just not done as far as I am aware. I have been waiting for it for some time. And I can only assume the original poster got an older version shipped out.

But without that cable they actually did them a favor. Because I updated to QR2 then updated my firmware and had to reinstall QR1 to update my wheel...

And there are no special notes bout it either so it is pretty irritating.

I have this wheel and I love it, but it has plenty of downsides. More than it should as a released premium product.

• Good Luck! Ill be curious to know what you think of the wheel. Like i stated above. It's Awesome! and Not so awesome lol.

Some of this can be fixed with the QR2 cable release.

But because its an actual wheel for race car racing you'll likely miss a few features Sim wheels have. The rubber grips are probably chosen for the same reason. Feels fine/grippy, but i like leather. The directional button being the logo is neat, but not awesome if you need it while driving lol.

The MPS buttons are dim, and can't be customized in Fanalabs like the rest of the buttons can. I am not sure if that can be updated with software. The Button Rally Module can btw. It's really nice in Fanalabs.

But the ergonomics of the wheel are probably my favorite part. It feels really good to me. And if your a sucker like me and fall for this "real deal" stuff it scratches that itch.

• Hey,

I just received my M4 GT3 wheel (ordered mid December) and mine also has the QR1 installed. I created a ticket to check if the QR2 will be shipped separately. Otherwise I would return the wheel.

Please keep us updated if you receive an answer.

• I'm in the same boat, my M4 GT3 wheel just got delivered today missing the QR2 Pro (looks like a QR1 Pro mount instead) and also missing the TC button, I have a second OK button in it's place. Anybody else with the same button issue? I submitted a support ticket regarding the QR2 mount, but didn't notice the button missing until afterwards. Also, is it common to not receive a confirmation email after submitting a ticket?

• I received an answer yesterday. The QR2 was not shipped with the wheel due to a logistics error. However, it's now already on it's way. So everything fine for me.

@x1s1x300 I have the TC button, no "double ok"

• Alan PaigeAlan Paige Member
    edited January 19

OK, that's workable as long as they still include the QR1 wheel side. But odd given that the product page explicitly states "WHAT'S INCLUDED" "QR2 update cable".

• I just received my wheel. It comes with pre-installed QR2 Pro and suitable cable

• all i can find is this:

• Still no response to my support ticket regarding the M4 GT3 wheel not shipping with QR2 :(

• I also have an update problem

I have the QR2 on the steering wheel which is only made for updating, so you need another QR2 to be able to put it on the base and play

I have a difference in the Fanatec video and my update

(SIM) (CAR) ?

Why do I have this? Can we change from CAR to SIM? Is there an additional manipulation to be done?

I don't understand, the steering wheel is recognized but the update does not load.

• Ich habe das gleiche Problem !Habe mein BMW Lenkrad bei BMW Motorsport gekauft .Wobei da der QR2 anders ist,also grösser als der von Fanatec.Heisst also auch das das Lenkrad gar nicht 1:1 umbaubar ist,also von Auto auf Base das geht gar nicht!!!!!! Kann trotz allem keine aktuelle software aufspielen und habe auch schon mal aussetzer beim hoch oder runter schlalten.Kann da jemand helfen?

• edited March 14

Only BMW can help you in this case I think as you bought a special Racecar version which uses a different firmware than the one you can buy at Fanatec.

Or maybe alternatively the Fanatec tech support can provide you with a Racecar Firmware, dont know but usually only BMW has access to this special firmwares and no regular Customer should ever get these firmwares so I think the better route would be to ask BMW directly.

Also yes, the QR2 in the Racecar is a different, older spec, version and not the upgraded version you can buy at Fanatec.

• Hallo Maurice.Woher weisst du das mit dem lenkrad es wird doch gross angepriessen das das 1:1 passt also ist es doch egal o ich es bei BMW odeFanatec Kaufe es muss doch funktionieren.Ansonsten stimmen doch die ganzen versprechung überhaupt nicht.Und die Software sollte doch auch dan kein Problem sein ob Auto oder sim Racing.Danke für eine antwort.

• Please post in English according to the forum rules.

The wheel you buy at Fanatec has the regular Simracing Firmware and needs to be changed to a special Racecar Firmware in order to get the wheel to work in the Racecar. This is due to safety reasons so not everyone can just plug his wheel onto the car and drive away with it but only registered users have access to this firmware, granted by BMW directly.

And the Racecar also uses an older spec QR2 version so the QR also needs to get changed.

This does not change the advertised fact that you still can use the wheel in the Racecar, it just needs a special firmware and different QR2.

• Entschuldigung .Da ich ältger bin und kein englisch kann schreibe ich auf DEUTSCH WEIL ICH AUCH DEUTSCHER BIN.So verstehe ich also richtig das ich das lenkrad gar nicht 1:1benutzen kann.ist jetzt echt schade ,weil wofür ebntscheide ich mich jetz PS5 oder Auto?Mann sollte sich dann solche aussagen gut überlegen meiner meinung nach.Und das Lenkrad habe ich nur bei BMW gekauft weil Fanatec wohl nicht in der lage ist zu liefern sondern nur leere versprechungen macht.Beim support meldet sich ja auch keiner und so lange kann man ja wohl nicht umstruktorieren.Insgesamt heisst das dann das ich wohl auch nicht bei Fanatec die Software aktualiesieren kann.

• edited March 18

Just use a translator Tool please, otherwise you should not expect to get help from many as they simply dont understand you. Translator Tools are easy to use and it just takes seconds.

You can always use the Racecar wheel with the Racecar Firmware on a Fanatec Base, vice versa with the Simracing Firmware however it wont work until you get that Racecar Firmware. When you have a Racecar Firmware you can also only get Updates through BMW directly AFAIK.

• So misleading the customers who buy such a steering wheel.because in the videos you can see it is not first installed other software and then the steering wheel is put on the PS 5 or on the car.so just sorry to deceive the customers who buy something like that for 1500 euros. Maybe you should make it public like this.to come back to this i will not be able to expect any help from Fanatec if you get someone to update the steering wheel for playstation.do i understand this right?thanks for the info with an english translator

• edited March 18

As I said, when the wheel has the Racecar Firmware installed it is actually possible to instantly switch between Racecar and Simracing (in the video the Fanatec Base used the same older spec QR2 as the Racecar uses, as the final Retail QR2 was improved further a Racecar wheel now just needs to change to the improved Simracing QR2 and then it can be used on the Fanatec Base.

Just the other way around when the wheel has the Simracing Firmware it is not instantly possible to attach it to the Racecar and drive away with it due to safety and legal reasons which BMW of course wants to have in place. In that case, if someone really has both a Fanatec Base and a real Racecar at home, I am sure BMW will gladly give you the Racecar Firmware after they registered your data. If you dont have a Racecar at home, then there is no need for you to get access to that Firmware.

As you bought the wheel directly from BMW then in this case BMW would also be the ones to contact regarding an update of the Racecar Firmware, if available. You can also try to contact the Fanatec support if they can provide you a newer Racecar Firmware, if available, but they are overloaded and an answer will take several weeks so your best bet is to contact BMW directly. Racecar Firmwares for sure wont get published publically through drivers so in the future you will always have to contact someone for future updates.

• Hello again.I hope I'm not upsetting you.that's not my main problem.I can't get the current software for the ps5.of course I have the right QR 2.I would just have to change the QR2 from old to new.no problem for me.but I can't get the software as I said from Fanatec.

• The Firmware on the wheel should still work on Playstation as it's up to the base and not the wheel to add Playstation compatibility and that works with any steering wheel Firmware.

It does not need a special different firmware just to be used on Playstation...

• Yes, but it shows me that everything is up to date except the steering wheel, and the firmware on my base is 455.

• That's possible, but even old firmwares will work on Playstation just fine when used with a Playstation compatible wheel base and after pressing the Playstation button on the wheel to assign the device to your Playstation account.

A new firmware wouldnt fix any issues related to playstation.

To get newest Racecar wheel (which I dont even know the version of, I only know Simracing Firmware is v9 but idk which is the latest Racecar version, maybe there is not even a newer one and the driver tells you nonsense as it can not read Racecar Firmware versions correctly to compare against most recent version) you will need to contact BMW or the Fanatec support as Racecar Firmware will not be shared in public through a driver.

• OK.thank you for so much information and patience.if there is anything else I hope I can get in touch with you.

With kind regards. M.Bockmühl