The position of the wheelbase jumps by 360 degrees

I have seen several people talk about this on various forums. I have a same issue with my wheelbase and would like to fix it. I'm an electronics design engineer with a pretty well equipped lab and would really appreciate someone from Fanatec getting in touch to tell me where the issue is so I can attempt a repair. I'm sure the issue is well know to Fanatec.

Firmware: 3.0.4.3

Driver: 455

Symptoms and Troubleshooting:

There is always one angular position (I'm going to call this position a "Trigger Position") at which the position of the wheelbase jumps by 360 degrees. If the position jumps beyond the soft stop of the wheel base, this causes the shaft to violently rotate back to the soft stop position of the wheelbase.

The Trigger Position is related to the angular position at which the wheelbase was switched on. For example, if the wheelbase is switched on with shaft at around 0°, this is where the Trigger Position will be while the unit remains switched on. If the unit is switched on with the shaft at 60°, the trigger position will be at around 60° while the unit remains switched on, and so on.

On power up the wheelbase calibrates and returns to 0° (centre position) as expected. The trigger position will be around the angle of the shaft at which the unit was switched on.

The issue can be repeatedly reproduced by turning the shaft slowly past the trigger position. 

The issue is present irrelevant of connections. The only connection required is power. Even with the USB cable disconnected, I can reproduce the issue.

Wheel: The issue is present with wheel mounted or not.

Mounting: The issue is present independent of mounting method (e.g. mounted on a metal grounded rig, or just sitting on an insulated mat).

Video of the issue.

With USB cable unplugged:

And another video:

Thanks everyone!

Filip

Comments

• Looks like a hardware issue of the motor. You should contact the support.

• Gökhan OgulGökhan Ogul Member
    edited April 25

2:40 for me, it looks like encoder problem with wrong data output that causing the jumps. You have to contact the support because Fanatec does not deliver any device spare parts to customers. When you are electronics design engineer: The Encoder works with light scanning with many small slits. Maybe some of them are dirty or blocked and you have luck. Here a video how it works...

Of course the controller could also be broken, but that's my guess. I've seen similar behavior with other motors in our company. In most cases it was the encoder. DD1 is an outrunner motor, it could also possibly be a coil problem.

BTW: I'm not from Fanatec, just a customer with well equipped lab too.

0:40

https://youtu.be/hg3TIFIxWCo?t=42

• Thanks guys.

The unit is out of warranty so support won't be an option.

The encoder used in DD1/2 is magnetic rather than optical. In particular, IC-Haus MHL200 is used as an encoder chip in combination with a magnetic encoder wheel.