Introducing FanaLab: Beta Version available now!

Comments

• Dmitry VolskyDmitry Volsky Member
    edited September 2019
    Good afternoon Thomas!
    I ask you to be sympathetic to what I write, as I consider it important for you to hear the opinion of a simple user ...
    You are doing a truly amazing job, but it seems to me that you are doing it for yourself, because it is very difficult for an ordinary user to understand what you have done ... Just stop and look at your product from the side. It seems to me the most important thing in any software product of this is its friendliness and understanding by the user. You have released a product that you have been looking at for a very long time, but in my humble opinion it is hard to understand. To check my words, find any person who has a fanatic and invite him to his office and let him try to figure it out - I'm sure it will be difficult for him and he will quit and not be able to evaluate your product, which you did in the hope of surprising the consumer. Obviously, you are doing great things, though lately you have been devoting little time to such a concept as user friendliness or the friendly relationship between devices and consumers. You have reached a certain peak and look from high and maybe you just don’t see ordinary users.
    But back to your program. I will give modest advice on what needs to be done from my point of view.
    1.important thing to do is the ability to copy text in pop-up windows that show and tell what it is for, since people with different languages ​​use your product and this makes it difficult to understand and translate (google went far in translation)
    2. Do as many programs on your phone do - they lead you in simple steps teaching you where and why to click, what sequence of actions
    3. There is no information anywhere, except for a simple video in your title, what the program decides and how it works with infinite sets - this is an important point that many have been waiting for, and no attention has been paid to this! Plus, it’s not entirely clear how these sets work - in each game there are 5 sets, or for each game you can make your own set, but how does it work with the main sets? how they change and so on, because it is very difficult to understand what we ordinary users received ...
    4. You obviously need to make a detailed video of how this program works and tell how to use it, but I beg you to make a text dubbing in the text for this video so that you can translate it - because it is very important for people from other countries ... I hope that you have been given my instructions on the DD1 database in Russian, which I gave you as a gift - believe me, it was difficult. ... and I know what I'm saying, as I help many people from the Russian community.
    5. I understand that you are at the beginning of the path to creating this program and I want to suggest that you think about how users can exchange the settings that they create with the ability to evaluate them and you can see who created them and how many times they downloaded them. There are similar solutions in the incentive, in the Dash program - if necessary, I can help you generate this idea.
    6. And my last suggestion is to add your settings to this program, which you recommend in three options for each game (where there would be Standard, Active, Full Fitback) - this has helped many users who buy your product on the basis of the Plow and Play principle .
    7.General problems of the program:
    1. It is not clear how the sets work, how to create them and how the hierarchy works (there is a great example for your competitors at Simexpirense (Sim Commander)
    2. It is not entirely clear how the FFB Speaker works and most importantly - there are no examples of understanding - I would suggest you create and sew two sets in the menu, for different games we say Standard and Activity - where the user understands how it works and see the changes according to the settings.
    3. In the vibration section, there is not enough shift effect (for example, the game Rice Room, where this effect is simply fantastic!)
    4. In the LED section - the principles that you used with numbers are not clear ... there are no examples
    5. In the gamme section of the profile, it is not clear what Enable Telemetry will start, how it works with the program and what it is for, again, how the creation of profiles and the main page is connected, and why the created profiles do not go to the main page and how the mechanism works when sets in program and driving (are these different for sets or not)
    Globally, I would suggest here in this program to add immediately your recommended settings for the steering wheels. Many users say that when playing at SimExpo they can’t achieve the same fitback at home - is this a secret?
    As a result of my post, I hope you understand how difficult it is to understand what you have in mind ... for us ordinary users, plus those who do not understand English) ... and Google is their only hope. I wish you Thomas and your team to understand that everything ingenious is SIMPLY! And sometimes you should not reinvent the wheel, if someone has already invented it, but to improve it is never a problem, if there is a desire! Good luck

Hey guys
    I really appreciate your feedback. This is exactly what we need. But in order to combine everything, please discuss issues and feature suggestions in the forum section and not in the blog. Thank you.

If you want to leave general feedback how you like Fanalab you are welcome to do it here.

• Dmitry VolskyDmitry Volsky Member
    edited September 2019
    PS: Well, of course, it would be a long time to entice you to a forum - it is very inconvenient and specific - it’s difficult to search for information, it’s difficult to answer, it is constantly buggy, and asks for something ... There are many examples of a lot of linguistic communication in communication on official sites - a vivid example EVE online (this is a game that is in different languages) it is clear that you have come to the point where you need to change your approach and create a community in different languages ... But at the same time, no one is stopping you from leading the main line in English ... Just look at the EVE forums Online https://forums.eveonline.com/

Hey guys
    I really appreciate your feedback. This is exactly what we need. But in order to combine everything, please discuss issues and feature suggestions in the forum section and not in the blog. Thank you.

If you want to leave general feedback how you like Fanalab you are welcome to do it here.

• Wow, seems this was worth the waiting.

Still haven´t used it yet, but will do so soon.
    Anyway, and before I start at all, what is the difference between the standard software and the beta version? i haven´t found any description.
    Can you tell?
  • PS: Well, of course, it would be a long time to entice you to a forum - it is very inconvenient and specific - it’s difficult to search for information, it’s difficult to answer, it is constantly buggy, and asks for something ... There are many examples of a lot of linguistic communication in communication on official sites - a vivid example EVE online (this is a game that is in different languages) it is clear that you have come to the point where you need to change your approach and create a community in different languages ... But at the same time, no one is stopping you from leading the main line in English ... Just look at the EVE forums Online https://forums.eveonline.com/

Hey guys

Maybe, it's easier to understand if you download and READ the full manual of Fanalab, that also can be downloaded on the Fanalab download page.
  • Hi guys, just installed Fanalab and the first thing i noticed was that my FEI settings always turn back to 000 i set it on the steering wheel and in the program on 80 (test) and it keeps going back to 000 on both
  • Hi guys, just installed Fanalab and the first thing i noticed was that my FEI settings always turn back to 000 i set it on the steering wheel and in the program on 80 (test) and it keeps going back to 000 on both
    Which driver do you have installed? Which Base firmware and which steering wheel firmware is installed? Which base in general?
    Which driver do you have installed? Which Base firmware and which steering wheel firmware is installed? Which base in general?
    base firmware is 639 pc driver is 328 base motor is 22, clubsport base V2.5 clubsport universal hub
    base firmware is 639 pc driver is 328 base motor is 22, clubsport base V2.5 clubsport universal hub
    And that's the problem. Please download driver 345 from the same site where you downloaded Fabalab. Your driver and firmware is way too old and simply not compatible with FanaLab, therefore your issues.
    And that's the problem. Please download driver 345 from the same site where you downloaded Fabalab. Your driver and firmware is way too old and simply not compatible with FanaLab, therefore your issues.
    Thx 4 your replay but the driver on the page is...328

Thx 4 your replay but the driver on the page is...328

Sry my mistake i was looking at the wheel base page not the fanalab page i will try the 345 driver, thx
  • Thx Maurice B. i have flashed my wheelbase and have the new driver but now i gets more complicated, in the windows driver settings i get totally new menu's and the thing i do not get is the [AP] settings Clutch bite point, Clutch/Hand brake, Brake/throttle, Mappable Axes...what is that? standard it is on Clutch Bite Point so i leave it there for now. 
  • At first to Fanatec, if i press ¨about¨ in Fanalab and then on the website icon  i will always go to the US site, i am in the EU. This means i have to always re assign the website to EU Eng to log in, this is a feedback not a complaint. 
  • Should a customer with only CS v3 Pedals use this software? Not sure if it's a full replacement for the wheel property tool or something only for those with the full brake and wheel base setup.
  • edited September 2019
    Should a customer with only CS v3 Pedals use this software? Not sure if it's a full replacement for the wheel property tool or something only for those with the full brake and wheel base setup.
    You can get telemetry based brake and throttle pedal vibration like ABS or Wheel lock or suspension travel in some games. Other than that, you would not have much benefit with FanaLab, no. This software does not replace the driver control panel.
  • Is there anyway to switch from KPH to MPH . I have the BMW wheel and it is messing with my head . I live in the US where we are behind the rest of the world.
  • Is there anyway to switch from KPH to MPH . I have the BMW wheel and it is messing with my head . I live in the US where we are behind the rest of the world.
    Not yet, mph is coming in a future update.
  • edited September 2019
    Hello. For the speed sensitive damper do you consider having an exponential curve instead of a fix speed setting? Thanks
  • Installed Fanalab software, and I was just going through the manual. I followed the first startup procedures. I was scrolling through the force feedback page and then Fanalab software locked up, it would not respond. The software locks up every time I try to open it. If I try to launch F1 2019 by itself or through Steam it does not start up. The screen just goes blank, and I have to shut it down through task manager. I've also tried starting up iRacing and Asseto Corsa and those do not start up either.

I tried uninstalling it and still no fix.

Fanalab basically ruined the only reason why I have a PC.I need this fixed now.

• Hi.
    I am using a CSW 2.5 base, and I think I don't really understand how fanalab works.
    I thought I has to configure profiles for my games under "game profiles" menu and then, when I launch a game in "Main" menu the profile would activate automatically.
    At the beginning, I thought the compatibility with my wheel base was not really great because it didn't change anything. So I tried to understand a bit more how it worked.

So to be clear before launching games, I have to go to "game profile", load a profile (and make a profile for every wheel: porsche/bmw/formula/mclaren), then go to "Main" and launch the game?
  • You can set ONE profile per game as your games default profile which automatically loads when the game launches. To do so, you need to click the "Default?" button so it goes green instead of red.
  • edited September 2019
    Im looking to some reviews of SIMUCUBE2 and with some tweaking they dont get any oscilations on straights.

Is this going to be improved in podium series?
  • I installed Fanalab today. Followed the directions to make sure the box is not checked for fanaleds in iRacing. I'm locking up the tires on purpose to see if the purple lights come on, they don't on the wheel. They do in iRacing so I know they are locking up but the wheel is not lighting up purple, or any color for that matter.

I also tried to dampen oscillations like they did in the video for FanaLabs. Doesn't work. I even tried moving the Effect Range up to see if that would help. Still goes nuts if I let go of the wheel at high speed.

DD1, Formula v2 wheel on PC w/ V3 pedals connected directly to DD1. 
  • Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator
    Im looking to some reviews of SIMUCUBE2 and with some tweaking they dont get any oscilations on straights.

Is this going to be improved in podium series?
    With some tweaking you don't get oscillation with a Podium wheel base either. In fact it is shown in the video in the original post.

I installed Fanalab today. Followed the directions to make sure the box is not checked for fanaleds in iRacing. I'm locking up the tires on purpose to see if the purple lights come on, they don't on the wheel. They do in iRacing so I know they are locking up but the wheel is not lighting up purple, or any color for that matter.

I also tried to dampen oscillations like they did in the video for FanaLabs. Doesn't work. I even tried moving the Effect Range up to see if that would help. Still goes nuts if I let go of the wheel at high speed.

DD1, Formula v2 wheel on PC w/ V3 pedals connected directly to DD1. 
    Hi Chad,

A few thoughts:

- Please ensure that you've updated all firmware (using driver v340 or higher)
    - in iRacing you will not see tyre lock ups as they have restricted this telemetry data (you should also see the FlagLEDs greyed out in FanaLab when running iRacing)
    - As for the speed sensitive damping, please check that FanaLab is receiving the correct telemetry (you can see this in Settings > Show Telemetry Feed). FanaLab needs to know the vehicle speed in order for this to work.
    - It may also be related to your DPR setting in the Tuning Menu (the damping signal is sent through this modifier, so it should be turned up).

If you have checked these things and are still unable to get it working, please post your findings in the FanaLab thread.
  • Chad HermannChad Hermann Member
    edited September 2019
    Ok question on Damping setting in tuning. I have this turned off because I thought iRacing does not use damping? I should have this turned on then? Just to confirm you are referring to damping not natural damping?

Edit: Do I need to also edit the app.ini file for this to work? I saw this for your recommended setting so curious..

"*SPR and DPR values have no effect by default. They can be enabled through the app.ini, but this is not recommended."
  • edited September 2019
    Ok question on Damping setting in tuning. I have this turned off because I thought iRacing does not use damping? I should have this turned on then? Just to confirm you are referring to damping not natural damping?

Edit: Do I need to also edit the app.ini file for this to work? I saw this for your recommended setting so curious..

"*SPR and DPR values have no effect by default. They can be enabled through the app.ini, but this is not recommended."
    Yes, you need the DPR set to anything other than OFF to get Dynamic Damping working. So just set ot to 50 for example. It will be enough to get the Dynamic Damping working and doesnt affect the iRacing FFB otherwise at all. Its no game effect but a FanaLab effect and FanaLab controls this by using the DPR function, which is totally unrelated to the fact that iRacing isnt using DPR. 
  • Chad HermannChad Hermann Member
    edited September 2019
    OK so I've tried it and I'm having a hard time finding a spot where this does not reduce the information I'm getting in iRacing. I can feel any damping applied specially at the beginning of rotation in the wheel. It's like the wheel is numb to any data I normally get. I've tried to race with damping and there is no way I could be competitive with it on. It's like I can't feel the steering rack/tires at all during rotation. The small details make all the difference.

So, can someone suggest a damping setting in the wheel profile 0-100 and a damping setting for all three sliders in the Fanalab software that will 1) Not remove any FFB information from the wheel during rotation and 2) stop the wheel from oscillations on high speed straights.

If this is specific to track/cae lets use iRacing's Monza start/finish straight & 488 GTE for example. 
  • Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator

Hi Chad, you should not edit the app.ini. By default, the standard iRacing damper slider in the in-game FFB menu operates directly on the Fanatec Tuning Menu 'FOR' modifier, together with the normal FFB effects (therefore this in-game slider should be off, if you want to avoid iRacing providing any additional damping). If you adjust the iRacing app.ini, you can make the iRacing in-game damper work on the Tuning Menu 'DPR' modifier (this is how iRacing used to work, many builds ago), which we don't want, because FanaLab is using the DPR modifier for the speed-sensitive damping feature.

OK so I've tried it and I'm having a hard time finding a spot where this does not reduce the information I'm getting in iRacing. I can feel any damping applied specially at the beginning of rotation in the wheel. It's like the wheel is numb to any data I normally get. I've tried to race with damping and there is no way I could be competitive with it on. It's like I can't feel the steering rack/tires at all during rotation. The small details make all the difference.

So, can someone suggest a damping setting in the wheel profile 0-100 and a damping setting for all three sliders in the Fanalab software that will 1) Not remove any FFB information from the wheel during rotation and 2) stop the wheel from oscillations on high speed straights.

If this is specific to track/cae lets use iRacing's Monza start/finish straight & 488 GTE for example. 
    The speed sensitive damping should only trigger once you reach the speed threshold you have set in FanaLab. Below this speed it should have absolutely no impact on the FFB. If you are feeling some kind of damping below the speed threshold, then it is coming from somewhere else, or something in FanaLab is not working correctly.

• So, can someone suggest a damping setting in the wheel profile 0-100 and a damping setting for all three sliders in the Fanalab software that will 1) Not remove any FFB information from the wheel during rotation and 2) stop the wheel from oscillations on high speed straights.

Hi Chad,

FIrst you've to set the correct Nm for each car in iRacing.
    I've set 55Nm in iRacing option for the 488 GTE (check use custom controls for this car) base on telemetry (MoTeC) to avoid any clipping.
    You can try NDP 20, NFR 25, FEI 90 for a 300mm steering wheel.
    Then you adjust FFB on your base if it's too strong (it's also relative with your car setup if you have a lot of camber and caster).
    This is before the launch of Fanalab.

• edited September 2019

Try the attached FanaLab file. I don't get Oscillations with these settings on my DD2 but still a very active and precise steering. Tested even on the bumpy straights of Sebring. In fact, the 488 GTE is a car which needs a lot less Dynamic Damping compared to other cars so a setting of just 5 Strength is already enough. And to not get Damping in corners the range is limited to 20° to each side and the Damper itself only starts to fade in at 150kph (and gets stronger from there the faster you drive). Its even possible to run the car with these Tuning Menu settings completely without Dynamic Damping enabled - it still wont oscillate at high speed straights as long as you dont really force it by pulling the wheel actively to one side very harsh.

As you are using a DD1 you just need to up the FF from 85 to 100 in the Tuning Menu and in iRacing set Max Force to 55Nm with Wheel Force set to 20Nm and it should feel almost like on a DD2 where I get 21Nm Peaks with this profile.

Here is also a lap around Sebring where you can see that even when trying to force an oscillation the wheels keeps in straight line and doesnt oscillate because of the Dynamic Damping. But as you can also see it stays very active and lively in corners etc. :)