Anyone ordered DD1 in Europe?

13»

Comments

• Just got shipping/delivery notice for DD1 but not pedals (yet). I bought a Leo Bodnar G29 adaptor cable for G29 pedals so worst case scenario, I can still use the kit.

• Any news Jim?

Have you finally received your DD1?

I had an email from UPS my DD2 will be delivered tomorrow.

• Alessio! Yeah DD1 arrived today! I had to put my simlab rig in place of my desk so hours of fiddling and wires everywhere. But finally got it set up!

I must admit, it's pretty amazing once it's dialled in. You can really feel the tyres and weight shifting through corners. Very uncanny. Rumble strips feel very realistic (assetto Corsa competitzione). My old G29 feels like a sloppy mess in comparison. The DD1 is very precise so I'm sure the DD2 will feel even better.

My pedals will arrive tomorrow so I can spend some time reconfiguring my seating position. I've only had around 90 minutes driving with the DD1 but after 10 minutes or so, my back was killing me. I had to keep stopping, walking around a bit then having another go.

Firmware update was painless ( driver 346), everything is just working so pretty happy with it all. Looking forward to the pedals now!

Let me know how you get on. If you've not tried a DD wheel before, you're in for a pleasant surprise. It's difficult to explain how they feel. It just feels.....right!

My pedals will arrive tomorrow so I can spend some time reconfiguring my seating position. I've only had around 90 minutes driving with the DD1 but after 10 minutes or so, my back was killing me. I had to keep stopping, walking around a bit then having another go.

unquote

Jim Grove you can imagine how the real life racers are feeling when all this vibrations pass through the seat and everywhere. In Endurance sometimes after long stints there were times that from heat and pain (after getting out of the car cause adrenaline still was pumping) my knees and back couldn't hold me up. 😇

P.S. Still I haven't managed to dial up properly my Podium F1 (cause my race cars are being dialed by the team with small inputs I give them, and they know what needs to be done) but getting there. 😂

• Jim GroveJim Grove Member
    edited June 2020

Yeah, actual racers go through a lot of physical exertions. But if I put my current seating position into a real car, I'd deliberately crash just so I could get out! I don't know what I've done wrong but driving for more than 5 minutes is agony! I've moved the seat closer and further away, adjusted pedal height. Nothing works. My V3 pedals should arrive today so I can try to properly get settled with them. At the moment, I'm associating sim racing with back pain. 😄

To be honest, dialling in the settings is difficult for me because I still don't really understand what they do. Im using Fanatecs recommended at the moment and it feels good although driving around the parabolica at Monza is tiring on the arms. I want to feel all the subtle points of the track but with slightly less force. Also, Alexanderos, on the little display on the wheelbase, I've set it to display the torque output and there should be torque for the last 5 seconds plus the output graph but mine is flatlined all the time. Does yours work? If so, what do you have to do to make it work.

EDIT: forget my last, it does work...

• I'm reading between 4 and 6 nm through corners and 8 nm if I miss a corner and go over the big half round curb thingies. Feels about right really. I saw on YouTube that a guy was getting 23nm through eu rouge at spa with a DD2. That must be pretty jarring!

• Started with the recommended from Fanatec and trying stuff... Not reached to that level yet... 😇

for the live feature you described I didnt know it existed until yesterday morning when red something about it in the beta drivers.

but apparently it creates freezes sometime if it runs parallel or something that didnt understand. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I know only notes from mechanics like the below. 😇

• How you getting on with your DD1 Jim?

I finally had a chance of setting my dd2 and wheel up and give it a try over the weekend.

It feels amazing I need to get used to the pedals and the wheel itself though as I'm upgrading from a pad but I'm loving it so far.

Guessing it doesn't help the fact that I'm playing on a desk for now but will buy a cockpit in November for my birthday.

Even the firmware update was easy and trouble free so all good.

Only need to get Fanalab working with f1 2019 and it will be all perfect.

• Alessio! Haha! Yeah it's a step into another dimension isn't it! I've put around 8 hours through mine running driver 346. I'm a bit worried about using beta drivers because I still see stories of people bricking the DD1 wheelbase. But it feels awesome indeed! I installed fanalab recently but it cut ABS vibration on the V3 pedals in assetto Corsa competitzione for some reason. I'm trying to work out how to do a custom config for it. But both wheel lock up and ABS are greyed out and I'm finding no way to reintroduce them through fanalab.

I tried Automobilista 2 yesterday. Initially, the force feedback was horrible and I just couldn't dial it in, so I downloaded a custom ffb file from race department forums and it completely blew my mind! Wheel spin through V3 pedals is uncannily immersive! It all just feels right (on open wheel cars anyway).

I'm still trying to get ACC feeling good. It's a bit spiky at the moment so I will have to experiment with the damper setting a bit.

Also, I'm experimenting with cockpit movement at the moment. I'm using a simlab GT1 Evo and what I've found is that placing a 25mm hard rubber ball below each of the front feet sends the wheelbase torque vibration back into the cockpit, emulating road feel. For less than a euro, it adds a huge amount of immersion! Haha! I posted a thread in "off topic" called "Balls" where you can see a photo of ball size. Too small and they don't do a lot, too big and the rig is in danger of rolling off of them. I was just lucky to have the right size to hand.

I did have a little issue with the wheelbase initially which was that it gave a warning about high torque and asked to press okay. No matter which button I pressed, it never cleared so I had to unplug the wheelbase and try again. It always seemed to work on the second attempt though. I re flashed the firmware and it seems to be okay now.

My seating position is the main issue now. I just can't get comfortable. I could only drive for 3 or 4 minutes initially before my spine felt like it was going to shatter and so spent hours re arranging positions of everything. I can now drive for 30 minutes or so but it still gets a bit painful.

It's all a big learning curve, Alessio! I'm loving it and I think once you get your cockpit, you'll be another step closer to perfection. If you can work out how to get f12019 working through Fanalab, could you post the results? I can't play on a monitor at the moment because there seems to be a world shortage of monitor mounts! I'm hoping it'll arrive before the end of the century!

Happy driving! Keep in touch. All the best!