Price increase in Europe UPDATE

Comments

• edited April 2015
    They can Make the wheel plug in... If the XB1 Rim is wireless i dont think im buying it!!! Wireless FFB Sucks!!! I want Direct input.
  • That's not what I mean Grimey...I meant the Link system...I think the wheel holds the chip to be recognized/linked to the XOne and the base gets it's info by the usb port.
  • Thomas all user wait for xbox one rim. Now its april, 1. april joke???  Your last information is to tell us something end of march but nothing from fanatec.
    Come on, my v2 sleep since december 2014 and wait for xbox one rim to play race games.
    Let us know somthing, now! !!!!!!!!
  • I think we should all relax, it's a tough economic time, even more so for smaller, more specialized companies like Fanatec. I know it's a big increase we have to swallow, but if you really want the best gear, without going completely bankrupt (but jsut a bit), Fanatec is still #1. The CSW v2 ist still worth it, even at 749 euros without the invite discount.
  • Thomas JackermeierThomas Jackermeier Member, Administrator
    I did not want to make the release today the first of April is simply not a good day for a press release ;)
  • edited April 2015
    Where are all the PS4 guys??? I think the News that Thomas Hinted He Would Give was Concerning PS4 Compatibilty... So Where are all the PS4 Guy that Should be Happy...We Know the XB1 Rim is Coming but we just dont know when or What it Looks Like... I Trust it we be a Nice Wheel Selection and it will be Here Maybe Not for the PCars Launch but Soon after... Fanatec is still trying to push out V2 bases so even if the XB1 Rim is in Production Realisticaly its gonna take time... We Knew what we Signed up for when we Became Fanatec Customers Lets just try and be Patient... The News will Come.
  • I did not want to make the release today the first of April is simply not a good day for a press release ;)
    sooooo tomorrow? haha
  • I did not want to make the release today the first of April is simply not a good day for a press release ;)
    so at midnight in germany?
    I nominate that we officially change the name of this day to April Annoying Day.

That's fair enough, I'm sure there are many people that look forward to your next announcement, I for one.
    Having had a read through some of the comments on this thread, apparently there's no good day for an announcement of a price hike, even if it's completely justified.
  • All that being said: where is my Xone wheel for V2?
    I am working on the press release right now ;)
    How can I help you with that, sir?
  • soare these prices staying?   i thought it was maybe april fools joke.
  • The Euro is more valuable than the US Dollar, yet Europeans have to pay MORE than Americans? This is **** ridiculous. Working my ass off at minimum wage, and then you bump the price by 20-30%. 
    "arrg, he has to feed his family T_T" Well, he doesn't have to feed them golden nuggets, does he? The prices are high as they are.
    How is it Thomas' fault that you're willing to work for minimum wage?
  • For Me i want the XB1 wheel to work with XB360 & PC also... No Reason it Should Not be Backwards Compatible... I Still Race on XB360 when i Feel Like it... But Even if i Never use it on XB360 it just Makes Me Feel i got More for My $$$. jmo
    There is a very obvious reason Grimey, you need to pay MS for the security chip for 360 compatibility. Most of us don't want to pay more on top of the $299 just to make it compatible with a vastly outdated platform that already has many wheels.
  • Where are all the PS4 guys???  are they Not happy Yet i have not seen them rejoycing on any post that they now have PS4 support.

• > Grimey Dog > Where are all the PS4 guys???  are they Not happy Yet i have not seen them rejoycing on any post that they now have PS4 support.
  • I left a post about being a potential ps4 customer.. And Fanatec! Sorry about the grammar. Couldn't find the line spacer for New paragraph. I would like a comment or a reply on this subject.. JM#7
  • I left a post about being a potential ps4 customer.. And Fanatec! Sorry about the grammar. Couldn't find the line spacer for New paragraph. I would like a comment or a reply on this subject.. JM#7

What do you want to know? Thomas made a statement regarding PS4 compatibility already.
  • all the ps4 guys are still waiting for a reason to race on ps4, driveclub? Hardly a reason to race on ps4. pCars is a PC game so what does ps4 have? Nothing....

• Our answer to the increased prices will be to develop cheaper products so we can keep our customers happy and lower the entry level to use a Fanatec wheel.

Then please Thomas consider selling a bundle containing a Fanatec QR + Uni hub electronics so we can make DIY rims. If sold at fair price I'd buy one right away and it doesn't require you to develop anything.

This would give cheaper access to csw rims for people capable of DIY and better for you to sell a kit like this than selling nothing. Also if people know they could build their own rim(s) at cheaper price they could buy a csw base (and other accessories like CSP/CSS) they wouldn't have bought otherwise.
  • Our answer to the increased prices will be to develop cheaper products so we can keep our customers happy and lower the entry level to use a Fanatec wheel.

Then please Thomas consider selling a bundle containing a Fanatec QR + Uni hub electronics so we can make DIY rims. If sold at fair price I'd buy one right away and it doesn't require you to develop anything.

This would give cheaper access to csw rims for people capable of DIY and better for you to sell a kit like this than selling nothing. Also if people know they could build their own rim(s) at cheaper price they could buy a csw base (and other accessories like CSP/CSS) they wouldn't have bought otherwise.
    That is what they just released and it costs $299
  • John LomaxJohn Lomax Member
    edited April 2015
    No Jason, I'm not talking about the uni-hub but the QR part only + pcb & its electronics.
  • No Jason, I'm not talking about the uni-hub but the QR part only + pcb & its electronics.
    That is the hub.
    edited April 2015
    Come on... Nothing hard to understand. This is NOT the hub...
    edit: and if you still don't understand what is being talked about then you don't need it xD
    edit: and if you still don't understand what is being talked about then you don't need it xD
    So you want the hub without the buttons?

Why would you want that? It will certainly be not much cheaper to make buttons by yourself
  • Jason ShafferJason Shaffer Member
    edited April 2015

Yes, it is the hub and you clearly don't understand. No way you would ever get a MS security chip in a bag of parts. Want to know why the new Universal Hub comes pre-assembled and the PC hub doesn't? Because MS won't certify something that isn't plug and play and have all the correct markings for inputs. Unless you mean just the pcb from the PC version? For which Fanatec would gain nothing by selling cheap.

edited April 2015
    > Thomas Jackermeier "So you want the hub without the buttons? Why would you want that? It will certainly be not much cheaper to make buttons by yourself"

Just the QR system and the pcb & its electronic chip(s) (& female connector to the base if proprietary).

- no buttons (had a quick look: 10 buttons for 3€ free shipping)

- no 8-direction stick (6.5€ free shipping, or 0€ if grabbed from the old joypad lying around)

- no lcd (unless you agree to sell yours 1.5 + free shipping^^)

- no paddles (you sell one F1 rim paddle for 20 (+30% too now ?) + shipping, I certainly could do one myself for less, or buy yours to make my diy life a little easier)

- no rev leds (cost 0: I have plenty. So easy to get spare ones for free from vaious out of order products)

- no "hub" (= uni-hub metal & plastic casing). This represents some material and manufacturing I don't need as I will attach all the stuff directly to the rim as you do with your own integrated rims (F1/GT/918).

This is much less "parts" than a whole uni-hub and also much less manufacturing and assembling. So how much does the pcb + QR cost you ? Less than 100€ I'd guess (?).

So sell a kit with this for 99
    €, doing minor to no profit but you have a very appealing solution to offer to people who wouldn't buy a base + original rims + pedals because this whole set would cost too much (esp. now with recent the price increase) but could consider buying a CSW (and other Fanatec periphericals) and the above mentionned kit to build their own homemade compatible rim(s).

- You don't hurt your main sales much as the majority don't want / cannot go such a diy route and just want a finished plug&play product (and the few finished rims sales you'd lose would certainly be well compensated by those other customers you would gain due to this affordable diy rim offer)

- You don't risk 3rd party companies using it to make compatible rims cheaper than yours (or not cheaper but different from your own offer) as you can sell the kit to your customer base only (those who have bought a csw).

- You increase your Clubsport product line value by offering the ability to make very affordable fully personnalized integrated rims. People love personnalized items, and it has even more value when it becomes unique. Also I am not the only one not really convinced by the uni-hub solution (sorry) and such a kit would introduce the possibility to create integrated rims some (like me and others) may prefer to the uni-hub (even more if it means being significantly cheaper :p).

I personally would not buy your uni-hub for 2 reasons:

- this is not what I'm looking for. I want (lightweight) integrated rims with buttons, paddles etc hard mounted on them like your own integrated rims (F1/GT/918)

- I found the uni-hub price too high before the price increase, so even more now (and anyway I'm not convinced by the hub idea, so not interested by it anyway unless it was REALLY cheaper than it is and even was before the price increase)

But a diy kit like I'm suggesting here to you, yes ! And I'm sure other people would too. It requires some diy skills but nothing crazy, and I can really make the "best rim for me". Chose the buttons, how many I need, the placement I find being the best, decide to use revleds or not if I don't care, and same for the lcd (I'd personnaly use one as I like your lcd menu feature).

And most important I can build the integrated rim I want and at an attractive cost on top of that. I have been asking to you for long for a small diameter simple round integrated rim but I could wait for this forever as it seems you consider the demand isn't high enough for considering making such a rim. I could also do it with your uni-hub but as said I don't like the idea of non-integrated rims and it would cost much more than what I'm willing to invest (and my kit suggestion was answering your announcement of more affordable rims/wheels isn't it ? :p)

So what do you think about it ? Look at how many sim hobbyists are doing diy stuff like sim cockpits (and many other periphericals too). A diy integrated rim doesn't sound insane in comparison, and I'm sure you can sell such a kit way cheaper than what you sell the uni-hub, esp. if you accept the idea to sell it at no/almost no profit to make it your entry level csw rim line / "loss leader".

@Jason: don't speak about something I haven't even said. I'm talking about the PC electronics as I know Thomas couldn't sell the console security chip (lol, seriously...). If you are after console rims and/or couldn't hammer a nail in a wall then this is not for you.
    > Thomas Jackermeier "So you want the hub without the buttons? Why would you want that? It will certainly be not much cheaper to make buttons by yourself"

Just the QR system and the pcb & its electronic chip(s) (& female connector to the base if proprietary).

- no buttons (had a quick look: 10 buttons for 3€ free shipping)

- no 8-direction stick (6.5€ free shipping, or 0€ if grabbed from the old joypad lying around)

- no lcd (unless you agree to sell yours 1.5€ + free shipping^^)

- no paddles (you sell one F1 rim paddle for 20€ (+30% too now ?) + shipping, I certainly could do one myself for less, or buy yours to make my diy life a little easier)

- no rev leds (cost 0€: I have plenty. So easy to get spare ones for free from vaious out of order products)

- no "hub" (= uni-hub metal & plastic casing). This represents some material and manufacturing I don't need as I will attach all the stuff directly to the rim as you do with your own integrated rims (F1/GT/918).

This is much less "parts" than a whole uni-hub and also much less manufacturing and assembling. So how much does the pcb + QR cost you ? Less than 100€ I'd guess (?).

So sell a kit with this for 99€, doing minor to no profit but you have a very appealing solution to offer to people who wouldn't buy a base + original rims + pedals because this whole set would cost too much (esp. now with recent the price increase) but could consider buying a CSW (and other Fanatec periphericals) and the above mentionned kit to build their own homemade compatible rim(s).

- You don't hurt your main sales much as the majority don't want / cannot go such a diy route and just want a finished plug&play product (and the few finished rims sales you'd lose would certainly be well compensated by those other customers you would gain due to this affordable diy rim offer)

- You don't risk 3rd party companies using it to make compatible rims cheaper than yours (or not cheaper but different from your own offer) as you can sell the kit to your customer base only (those who have bought a csw).

- You increase your Clubsport product line value by offering the ability to make very affordable fully personnalized integrated rims. People love personnalized items, and it has even more value when it becomes unique. Also I am not the only one not really convinced by the uni-hub solution (sorry) and such a kit would introduce the possibility to create integrated rims some (like me and others) may prefer to the uni-hub (even more if it means being significantly cheaper :p).

I personally would not buy your uni-hub for 2 reasons:

- this is not what I'm looking for. I want (lightweight) integrated rims with buttons, paddles etc hard mounted on them like your own integrated rims (F1/GT/918)

- I found the uni-hub price too high before the price increase, so even more now (and anyway I'm not convinced by the hub idea, so not interested by it anyway unless it was REALLY cheaper than it is and even was before the price increase)

But a diy kit like I'm suggesting here to you, yes ! And I'm sure other people would too. It requires some diy skills but nothing crazy, and I can really make the "best rim for me". Chose the buttons, how many I need, the placement I find being the best, decide to use revleds or not if I don't care, and same for the lcd (I'd personnaly use one as I like your lcd menu feature).

And most important I can build the integrated rim I want and at an attractive cost on top of that. I have been asking to you for long for a small diameter simple round integrated rim but I could wait for this forever as it seems you consider the demand isn't high enough for considering making such a rim. I could also do it with your uni-hub but as said I don't like the idea of non-integrated rims and it would cost much more than what I'm willing to invest (and my kit suggestion was answering your announcement of more affordable rims/wheels isn't it ? :p)

So what do you think about it ? Look at how many sim hobbyists are doing diy stuff like sim cockpits (and many other periphericals too). A diy integrated rim doesn't sound insane in comparison, and I'm sure you can sell such a kit way cheaper than what you sell the uni-hub, esp. if you accept the idea to sell it at no/almost no profit to make it your entry level csw rim line / "loss leader".

@Jason: don't speak about something I haven't even said. I'm talking about the PC electronics as I know Thomas couldn't sell the console security chip (lol, seriously...). If you are after console rims and/or couldn't hammer a nail in a wall then this is not for you.
    John,

I appreciate yor ideas but I hope you understand that selling something without makingprofit does not sound very attractive to us. Would you work for free every day?

Of course a lot of people would love if we give away our products at cost but why are we not doing it the other way around?

From now on you will send us all money you earn in your job. Or better: Give all your money to people who need it more than you do.

But seriously, the universal hub is good value for money and our best selling steering wheel. The cost is well below most modded wheels and the perfect base for a DIY wheel as well as you can easily connect all the buttons you want. No other company makes it so easy to use the wheel rim you want.
  • Thomas, please don't act as if you did not understand what I explained, I'm sure a 2nd degree at economics knows well what a loss leader is, so I can only receive your "would you work for free" answer as a refusal to have a real discussion about this suggestion (at best).

Let me give you some more arguments:

- Fanatec already sold at no profit to its customer base when you offered the GT3RS v1 upgrade kit to make it v2.

- a loss leader (or no profit / little profit) doesn't mean working for free it means attracting customers with a very appealing price for one product to make profit with other products you sell.

- offering such a low priced kit would be a very good move in term of controlling damages the recent price increase has made amongst some of your customers. Don't you think those who are moaning about this price hike may reconsider their opinion if they see you try to give them the opportunity to buy your products line by giving the option to save on the rim(s) by doing it themselves, using a kit you would sell at no profit ?

- evaluate the risk / benefit of my suggestion: it would cost you nothing in R&D, and if ever you realized the kit was vampirizing your own rims/hub sales too much you can just stop the kit offer.

- you say the hub is the perfect solution for personalized rims, I say otherwise, have explained why, and know I'm not alone thinking like this (I follow simracers reactions on many forums at each of your move to get the temperature). If it was that perfect I would have bought one but I did not. I do not question this is your best-seller but that's easy when this is the only option you offer for personalized rims. How could you know that by offering the kit I suggest you may sell 5% or 10% less of your uni-hub and for each loss you would sell a kit to 2 customers and the base & other accessories that go with it ?

- doesn't simxperience propose to buy their DD wheelbase as a kit ? What proportion of accuforce do you think they sell as a kit vs fully assembled wheelbase ? Do you think they would offer that kit option if it was significantly vampirizing their assembled base sales ?

My opinion is the vast majority doesn't want to / cannot  (or think they can't) go this DIY route (I mean my suggested kit, not your uni-hub ofc). I can see this when I look at the RFR DD wheelbase (do you know this base ?): a direct drive base you can make for approx. 800€, and despite that an attractive cost and limited knowledge / equipment required only a few do the jump to that path.

Same for computers, the vast majority is bought assembled despite you can get the same for cheaper or better for the same cost by assembling it yourself. Electric bicycles: I have made mine using motors / controllers / accessories imported at very attractive price from china but the vast majority prefer a ready to use electric bicycle despite it will be less powerful and cost more .

So I can't see the kit I suggest representing more than 10-15% of your global rims sales. And even if 1/3rd of them would have bought your profit maker uni-hub if the cheap kit didn't exist, that's still 2/3 who are customers gained and to whom you will sell at least a wheelbase too.

Now I understand your business model is built on a smaller sales target than your competitors selling mainstream products, and without a doubt your console sales will outweight your customer loss due to the price increase, so you don't care losing them and don't want to try to make some come back. Maybe you even don't want to grow too much and it is a good move from your point of view to trade demanding PC simracers and european customers for more compliant console gamers and extra-EU customers. Then yes it would make sense to not spend efforts into making an offer for a minority, even if this effort was as low as the risk taken. You are here to make profits and I 100% understand that of course, but I find the approach behind it has drifted compared to what it was in the early years of Fanatec.
  • Thomas, please don't act as if you did not understand what I explained, I'm sure a 2nd degree at economics knows well what a loss leader is, so I can only receive your "would you work for free" answer as a refusal to have a real discussion about this suggestion (at best).

Let me give you some more arguments:

- Fanatec already sold at no profit to its customer base when you offered the GT3RS v1 upgrade kit to make it v2.

- a loss leader (or no profit / little profit) doesn't mean working for free it means attracting customers with a very appealing price for one product to make profit with other products you sell.

- offering such a low priced kit would be a very good move in term of controlling damages the recent price increase has made amongst some of your customers. Don't you think those who are moaning about this price hike may reconsider their opinion if they see you try to give them the opportunity to buy your products line by giving the option to save on the rim(s) by doing it themselves, using a kit you would sell at no profit ?

- evaluate the risk / benefit of my suggestion: it would cost you nothing in R&D, and if ever you realized the kit was vampirizing your own rims/hub sales too much you can just stop the kit offer.

- you say the hub is the perfect solution for personalized rims, I say otherwise, have explained why, and know I'm not alone thinking like this (I follow simracers reactions on many forums at each of your move to get the temperature). If it was that perfect I would have bought one but I did not. I do not question this is your best-seller but that's easy when this is the only option you offer for personalized rims. How could you know that by offering the kit I suggest you may sell 5% or 10% less of your uni-hub and for each loss you would sell a kit to 2 customers and the base & other accessories that go with it ?

- doesn't simxperience propose to buy their DD wheelbase as a kit ? What proportion of accuforce do you think they sell as a kit vs fully assembled wheelbase ? Do you think they would offer that kit option if it was significantly vampirizing their assembled base sales ?

My opinion is the vast majority doesn't want to / cannot  (or think they can't) go this DIY route (I mean my suggested kit, not your uni-hub ofc). I can see this when I look at the RFR DD wheelbase (do you know this base ?): a direct drive base you can make for approx. 800€, and despite that an attractive cost and limited knowledge / equipment required only a few do the jump to that path.

Same for computers, the vast majority is bought assembled despite you can get the same for cheaper or better for the same cost by assembling it yourself. Electric bicycles: I have made mine using motors / controllers / accessories imported at very attractive price from china but the vast majority prefer a ready to use electric bicycle despite it will be less powerful and cost more .

So I can't see the kit I suggest representing more than 10-15% of your global rims sales. And even if 1/3rd of them would have bought your profit maker uni-hub if the cheap kit didn't exist, that's still 2/3 who are customers gained and to whom you will sell at least a wheelbase too.

Now I understand your business model is built on a smaller sales target than your competitors selling mainstream products, and without a doubt your console sales will outweight your customer loss due to the price increase, so you don't care losing them and don't want to try to make some come back. Maybe you even don't want to grow too much and it is a good move from your point of view to trade demanding PC simracers and european customers for more compliant console gamers and extra-EU customers. Then yes it would make sense to not spend efforts into making an offer for a minority, even if this effort was as low as the risk taken. You are here to make profits and I 100% understand that of course, but I find the approach behind it has drifted compared to what it was in the early years of Fanatec.

John,

A loss/leader as you put it is never a regularly stocked item. It's either a item for special events ie: grand openings, anniversary events or Black Friday. No one carries a loss/leader in everyday inventory. And the so called loss/leader is becoming a thing of the past. Many reasons why but I won't take the space to get into it.