BMW GT2 Paddle Shifters and LEDs stop working mid race.

Hi,

Has anyone else had an issue with the BMW GT2 rim on a CSW V2.5 where the paddle shifters and LEDs stop working all of a sudden and the wheel stays vibrating? The FFB is still there and it still turns fine, just got nothing else untill I open up the properties page then everything goes back to normal..

Comments

• Yes, a torque warning appears on the DD1 and the FFB switches off, the gear shifters, display and LED's all stop working. I think its possibly a firmware conflict with the new releases.

• My FFB is not effected it’s only the buttons, LEDs and shifters.

• Yes I have.

I Had the same issue you are describing on a brand new BMW M2 GT3 Wheel base and CSW. it "bugged out" mid race and started Vibrating like a dildo.. I had to exit ACC and turn it off, then I checked if a pin was caught in the base ( as I've heard that can be an issue ) but it wasn't.. I t was fine then for a day but today I was playing ACC again and it just wouldn't shift, then I lost the LCD.. then it just kind of fixed itself.. which is weird and leads me to believe its either a "dodgy" connection somewhere between the wheel and the base, or a firmware issue. IM using the 674-22 driver package.

anyway if it happens again ill shoot an email to support but basically this is a brand new wheel and base so this kind of thing just shouldn't happen at all imo.

• Mine is also only 2 weeks old.. I’ve uninstalled fanalab and it hasn’t happened since. Fingers crossed I guess 🤷🏼‍♂️

• hmm interesting, I might try that too.. I was hoping it was a driver issue but looks like its reasonably common because its in their troubleshooting FAQ.

I sent support an email, will follow up here

• It’s just happened again, deleting fanalab did not fix this 😔

• I’ve heard it could also be a faulty quick release system

• ive just noticed the shifter is also bent.

• yeah that's no good,

Maybe a replacement is in order.. I mean it's not a cheap toy.

I had mine fail again today one time in a 40 min session, it seems it does it once for me then seems fine. I tried using the locking nut to hold it in place more securely to the base but it still did the thing.. IDK apart from checking the connections inside i don't really know what to do aside from get an exchange - its been less than a week and i've used it 2 times so i think that should be reasonable for me at least.. They did not respond to my support ticket yet though.

• Yeah I really hope they do just replace it. Luckily I can borrow my friends F1 rim to use for the mean time.. Hey what do you mean by ticket? I have been on the website and sent a message to the support team by entering the serial number and all that.

• yeah that is a support ticket

• Grant FogartyGrant Fogarty Member
    edited September 2020

Ok I may have found my issue, not sure if this will be the same for you, but worth a look.. I will note that this is also in the Fanatec Troubleshooting tips for this particular issue -

Inside the Quick release mechanism, where the pins are, there are hex nuts surrounding the connector and one Hex screw in the middle of the pins - locking them down ..

Well yesterday when i checked the hex nuts they were all fine, so i moved past it without checking the middle screw one ( because it was much smaller and requires my tool kit to come out lol )

So today when i was checking it again I decided to see if it was tight - and it was NOT very tight.. So i tightened it up to a reasonable tightness ( not too much but no slack ).

I just came out of a 40 minute session with not one error on the wheel, the FFB even feels a but more distinct too.

Ill keep testing it tonight and post back here if it Bugs out on me again. if it works all night ill also post back lol.

• another 30 min session no problem.

• That’s promising, I did check my bolts including the smaller centre bolt and they all felt tight.. The day I uninstalled fanalab I did a couple of half hour sessions without any issue. Then the very next day It failed again after about 5 minutes of driving.

• ok well it may not be the same issue as me..

I also checked the inside wire that hooks up to the PCB from the pins ( its glued in ) and just pressed on it to make sure the connection was good..

I did play again after that last session and it did not bug out on me so fingers crossed..

If i post back here it will be to let you know it bugged out on me again and this fix did not work..

regards,

grant.

• I’ve heard back from the support team and they’ve asked me to send a video of it happening.

• I took me over an hour but I got the video

• yeah I got contacted too, though i told them my issue may be resolved im still testing it but so far so good. though i havent done a really long session yet ill try that today.

• Unfortunately my bug happened again today within 10 minutes of playing - im going to request replacement.

• Fanatec have asked me to send them the steering wheel and the wheel base for repair. Apparently the issue might be the main cable connecting the two.

I did tell them that I’ve been using another steering wheel I borrowed off a friend without any issue.

This is most inconvenient, any time spent without a wheelbase is just money down the drain when racing on a subscription based platform.

rip

• I was not having this issue on another wheel so I knew the issue was with the BMW GT2 wheel itself, anyway I have found the issue and resolved it, it was a bad grounding issue, I just tightened all the hex bolts inside the quick release hub, this pulls everything together nice and tight and makes good contact with the hub to wheelbase

• @David Monk

That is not the issue. Read the whole thread mate, Grant Fogarty has already tried this.

• I had the exact same issue as you described in your initial post, i noticed that if I applied pressure to the left hand side of the wheel the display would dim, I striped the wheel down and there was no issue with any of the wiring etc, tightening all the bolts fixed mine. My F1 wheel has no such issue so I assume its a bad ground as its the hub itself that makes the ground connection not one of the pins.

anyway, I hope you get it sorted, its frustrating to say the least.

• So yeah I did notice that tightening the inner hex screw helped a bit, but perhaps it was not my complete issue or maybe i didnt tighten the screw enough but it did have an impact. I also noticed my wheel base hex screw was a bit loose. I was not able to test that enough before I put the wheel in for RMA.

Either way i have returned my BMW wheel. Considering it happened right away when i bought it i thought this was reasonable.

Fanatec offered me a replacement or refund so i chose to get the refund and buy the Formula V2 wheel - which should be here in a few days..

All in all it was dissapointing on a brand new wheel, but also the support was pretty good.

• I’ve had to send my wheel base and rim away for repair, no mention of refund or replacement for me :(

• yeah i pretty much insisted on it.