CSL DD Firmware Failure

Hi

I received my CSL DD last Friday (29/10/21) and when I tried to update it with the latest firmware there was a failure in the process and the "on button" remained blinking blue.

After approx one hour, the base was still blinking blue and it appearded to me that no update was actually taking place. After trying serval times to to restart the update or reset the base I tried a hard restart and after it the base would no longer turn on. I've attempted to hold the power button for 10 seconds in order to start it in boot mode but all it does is just slowly spins the wheel until the top of it is at the 8 o'clock position. then it stops and nothing else happens.

Is there anything else that I could try?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Best regards.

Comments

• Hi Miguel,

I have exactly the same problem. My Fanatec Software told me that there is a new firmware for the CSL 2.5 compatibility mode and the software started the upgrade process which ends first with blue flashing lights and after I unplugged the DD from power nothing is working anymore.

Loading into Boot-ROM (press the button for 10 seconds) is also not working. I have the same slow spins when I stay on the button.

It's so frustrating...

Thank you,

Günther

• Hi all,

It looks like, that I am not the only one who struggle with the same issue.

It is really frustrating, because we are happy to get this type of wheel base and nothing is working.

What is strange this firmware update started without pressing any button. Means i din´t switched on the base, but started immediately after connecting to the PC. I guess that is also not correct.

I hope a solution is in place as soon as possible.

BR

Michael

• R.MayerR.Mayer Member
    edited October 2021

now we are already four (at least) 🙄

https://forum.fanatec.com/discussion/24012/csl-dd-firmware-update-failed-now-it-wont-power-on#latest

as I have written here if you have switched off the base it is unfortunately over, because this crappy software simply deletes the installed firmware without testing if there was an error in the update process before or if the new firmware is not available for flashing.

• now we are 5...

• Contact support because if the base is not staying ON even after you hold the button for 8 seconds in BOOTLOAD then you might have bricked it.

They will advise what to do or what the next steps are.

• Hi.

I have been trying to open a support request since Saturday but after filling all necessary details and pressing on "Submit support request" it seems that it gets to nowhere. All entered details are deleted and the following message shows on the screen "Please enter a message or a subject". I have tested it on Edge and Chrome but always the same error comes up.

Have any of you experienced the same?

Thanks again for your help.

• Marcel PfisterMarcel Pfister Member, Administrator

Which driver version number did you use when you've attempted to update?

• Hi Marcel.

As I also own a set of your V3 pedals, the version installed in the computer was 412.

After the problem, I tried with 411 and 415 keeping the power button pressed with hopes that the wheelbase would resurrect.

The base was connected to the computer using a USB 3 Hub and the V3 pedals were connected to the base via RJ45.

Thanks.

• Norman JIPNorman JIP Member
    edited November 2021

Exact same issue

• Hi all,

I got the very same issue.

Just got my CSL DD today and prompted a firrmware upgrade got stuck on blue light blinking and now wont turn on.

Any luck from support?

• Hi.

Yes, I was able to chat with Fanatec support.

They were very fast and immediately recognized the problem. In my particular case, they are providing me with an RMA number so I am now waiting for them to send me all necessary details to ship it back.

Thanks

• had also chatted with support today, also waiting for the RMA

• Same issue here, raised a support ticket and hopefully follow up tomorrow to get this returned. I thought I done everything according to the guide. Gutted is an understatement :(

• That is quite strange. Looks like there was a batch that went out with problems. Hope this gets resolved quickly for you guys. 🤞

• Well. This is an assumption.

You could target it as a batch only by knowing and comparing the serial numbers. 😇

• When did you guys that have had these bricking issues get your CSL DD delivered to you? And from which area did you order? EU?

• I had this problem two weeks ago when I received my CSL DD.

When updating the motor firmware it failed, leaving the power button flashing blue.

I cycled the power and the power button would not light up and the wheel gave a couple of minimal rotations.

I managed to recover the situation by holding the power button in for 8 second which brought the power button back to the flashing light mode.

I then reconnected the wheel to my PC and started the firmware installer.

It completed the Motor Firmware installation and everything was good to go !

Give it a try....

• R.MayerR.Mayer Member
    edited November 2021

I think most of us have tried that too, as it's the normal way into bootloader mode. Unfortunately it did not help.

• Now we are six 🤐

• Now we are 7. I've had the same thing. Ordered months ago. Just arrived. The fanatec wheel base updater message logs window contained the following:

CSL Direct Drive Wheel Base detected

Device connected

Fefault Hex file loading failed

Flash Erased

Then it hung with the power light flasing blue. No response for hours. Finally rebooted everything. Unplugged, left for hours, plugged back in. Now it won't turn on with a short press. Long pressing the power button results in 3 small movements then nothing further.

• Dennis WegeDennis Wege Member
    edited November 2021

@Alex Thame

I can see the misstake tou made.

You use the Driver Software 402 and not the actual Driver 429.

Driver 402 did not have the CSL DD Firmware.

Tou must connect the Fanatec Support for an RMA

With the disconnect from power you completely erase the Firmware in your CSL DD

• @Sara Kuhlmann

Thank you for the insight. However, I cannot see what I did wrong. I followed all the instructions in the documentation. There was no mention of a minimum driver version 429 requirement in the documentation.

The "Flash erased" message in the updater was almost instantaneous: I could not have intervened to prevent it even if I had known what it was about to do! The firmware erasure was not when I rebooted my PC and disconnected the device but when I ran the updater, software from Fanatec.

I'm still waiting to hear back from Fanatec support. I'm stunned that a product can be bricked so easily. I still do not understand what I should have done differently.

• Same issue

• any updates from anyone with this problem ?

• Hi everybody

got my full set CSL D, and after updating the firmware, it was erased and now it stay off. Same issue than you guys and I just want to cry because I got it on time for Christmas and could not try it once 😩

How to be contacted from Fanatec support to have a RMA number?

how long does it takes to get it back from support?

thanks

Jerome

• Hi there

I’ve got my RMA today to send back my CSL DD, I hope to get it back fast😓

• Hello

for everyone reading that topic, i think i have solution if your base stuck in flash mode because of firmware fail

when your base got stuck in flash mode ( blue light flashing ) .... FIRST thing DO NOT UNPLUG wheelbase and DO NOT HARD RESET your wheelbase .... just unplug wheelbase usb from your computer, open fanatec control panel and connect back your wheelbase back to computer and wait a minute or two to wheelbase flash itself back, calibrate your wheelbase, wheel and shifter ( if you have it ) and you can use your wheelbase

this worked for me, i hope it will work for others with that problem 👍️

• Hello,

I have the same problem. The only solution seems to be the return to guarantee. If some of you have been there before, how long did the procedure take?

Thank's for your responses.

• Thanks Klemen! This worked.

"for everyone reading that topic, i think i have solution if your base stuck in flash mode because of firmware fail

when your base got stuck in flash mode ( blue light flashing ) .... FIRST thing DO NOT UNPLUG wheelbase and DO NOT HARD RESET your wheelbase .... just unplug wheelbase usb from your computer, open fanatec control panel and connect back your wheelbase back to computer and wait a minute or two to wheelbase flash itself back, calibrate your wheelbase, wheel and shifter ( if you have it ) and you can use your wheelbase"

I reverted firm ware because Forza horizon 5 was crashing. Then my CSL DD was recognized as a DD1. Following these steps did the trick.

Thanks for sharing,

JD

• You good sir saved my ass the other night when my wheel got stuck at firmware update. I did the above and was done with update properly in 30sec tops:-) thanks!