Strong click or "twang" at random points

I'm new to DD wheels but not sim racing and have just started to use a DD CSL, the GT DD pro.

I'm experiencing something that is breaking the immersion and pulling me out the moment while racing.

I keep feeling a strong single click, or more specifically a single twang in the FFB. It's all sims (ACC, AMS2, Raceroom,RF2) and I'm not driving over a kerb or anything like that so it just feels really unnatural.

Just looking for advice if anyone recognises this sensation and can it be dialed out as its just spoiling the overall experience.

Comments

• Yes, I get this too.

After it happens it feels like ffb is weaker, but I'm not 100% on that. Often seems to happen during a change in direction

• Quite a few users have experienced this.

I noticed it within 20 minutes of playing and it seems to be related to the shaft moving inside the wheel housing.

I used the electrical tape fix to get rid of mine. Have a look through the forum for the word 'clunk" and you should find pics of where to place the tape. It's a simple solution that works.

The problem is almost certainly related to the plastic QR on the DD Pro GT wheel. It's allowing a tiny amount of movement during high FFB moments,

• No, this isn't a bit of play (and I've had a CSL DD RMA because of shaft play. This is different). This is a very strong FFB spike that comes with what feels like (and I think sounds like, but hard to say with headphones on) a "POP" noise. It's hard to know exactly what is causing this - I use the RHM ACC mod (real head movement), and that gets a ping at the same moment (a sudden jerky movement). Is the source from the software and both RHM and the CSL are reacting to it, or is the source from the CSL sending a spurious signal that RHM ACC then reacts to?

It is NOT related to the plastic QR as I get it and I'm using the metal QR1 with retaining screw fitted (without which you get all sorts of other creaking and loss of FFB detail).

It feels like the wheel is sending a maximum strength FFB push, at the same moment that you are turning the wheel the other way (ie turning against the ffb force), and between that maximum FFB and being turned, the FFB motor gets overloaded for a moment, exceeds a current threshold and the motor electronics cut the power to the motor in order to protect it. After that the FFB feels weaker, as if the base has reverted to a "safe mode", lower torque level.

• I was replying to the OP.

What he describes with the GT DD Pro is what I was experiencing with mine. I was getting a 'twang" and I used the tape and now it no longer "twangs" so let's leave it up to him to decide whether this might help.

I really don't know what you are experiencing and wasn't commenting on it.

• Tried the tape trick and no joy mate......I'm a bit gutted as other than this I'm loving the feeling of the wheel.

• This is it mate, you described it better than me....I feel a very strong FFB spike or pop, it totally breaks the immersion.

• Do you have it clamped to the table? Because i have this sound now and then and it's because of the clamp under the table adjusting to the tensions of the wheel when i pull it in corner or braking.

• Not sure, but this problem seems to be the same as discussed here:

https://forum.fanatec.com/discussion/24312/csl-dd-force-drop-out-mid-corner-peak-load#latest

Haven't seen any official comments yet on the matter.

• Isaac SibsonIsaac Sibson Member
    edited June 2022

Please see the release notes for driver beta 442:

CSL DD / GT DD PRO

• Fixed rare and brief jump of steering wheel position. Most noticeable in iRacing by a rapid steering angle change only visible for ~1 frame. Could be felt as a jolt like sensation. 

I don't drive iRacing, but I've had it occur regularly in ACC. I have saved replays of it happening (eg donington first hairpin, steering input is 50% right, suddenly there's a momentary 100% left input and returns to 50% right). I will update the driver and see...