Did my shaft pop out?

I was playing AC with my FORMULA 2.5 wheel and suddenly it disconnected. Also my Clubsport 320 wheel doesnt seem to work after that.

But the strage thing is that my WRC CSL elite wheel works fine.

Should i order a torque wrench to tighten this or my shaft is alright?

Comments

• MadDog-ICMadDog-IC Member
    edited February 5

Looks like it has slipped out by a considerable amount, there should not be any gap between the end of the carbon fiber shaft coming from the motor and the end of the metal shaft from the wheel.

You should loosen the collar and remove the wheel side shaft and check the internal USB-C connector for damage and if ok, re-insert correctly and re-tighten the U-Clamp to 12-15nm. (I really don't think you need to use a torque wrench, but each to their own)

Some CSL-DD owners say it can keep happening even if you follow these guidelines, so some have resorted to putting a dab of some sort of adhesive like a weak grade glue/fixative of Loctite or bike carbon bonding agent on the shaft that would proved a more tempory holding force but still allow removal when needed. Other recommendation is to replace the U-Clamp with a C-Clamp that has a bolt on either side, which gives a more even clamping forces.

I appreciate you shouldn't have to do this, but it seems that these remedies are the only long term solution to a Fanatec problem and will stop any damage from occurring in the future.

Regarding the Wheels working or not, some might just require better communications and at higher data rate or higher power requirements than others and if the mechanical connection in the USB-C port isn't secure they can't work.

• An important point to note is that the CSL QR2 base-side comes with a two-piece clamp very similar to the DD1/DD2 (but without breather holes). Even if you aren’t upgrading to QR2 wheel-side yet, if you can find a USB-C QR2 and just use the clamp for the time being, you should face fewer issues.

This would also seem to indicate that Fanatec and their supplier realizes there is at least controversy (if not potential failure) around the U-clamp design.