Fanatec Driver 456 (prev release candidate) for CSL, CS and Podium (all wheels)

Comments

• @Oscar Harris:

not safe but less likely for the freezing to occur. The steering wheel recognition problem is already fixed in 456. Works fine for me. You can install 456 driver and update only the wqr firmware for solving the recognition problem. And don't use Fanalabs currently. Or better, wait for 457.

• Hi guys. First off, I am a little PC illiterate so bare with me. I have an Extreme base and a couple different rims- formula v2.5, McLaren rim, and the new GT rim. I am currently more concerned with the v2.5 working as I'm doing mainly F1 right now.

When I got the extreme base, I updated everything to driver 455, with no issues on download.

Now, I'm trying to get the proper 456 drivers for rim, qr, etc.

I can dl the 456 driver on my PC ok, but as soon as I plug the base USB in to the PC I get this pop up.

• Corrine BakerCorrine Baker Member
    edited April 23

• Oscar HarrisOscar Harris Member
    edited April 23

@Gökhan Ogul

How do you mean "not safe"? I saw that 456 fixed the same issue for you however the patch notes make no mention of this being targeted and I'd rather not install drivers that are still in RC (and have broadly been panned) to fix what appears to be a non-critical issue, so how is it unsafe to keep using my current config?

• @ niel reuben

Thank you! So simple if you just know! LoL

Much appreciated

• @ Corrine Baker

I had issues with my formula v2.5 wheel with driver 456, The right paddle sporadically didn't respond for 2-3 seconds, so I couldn't shift up. After downgrading to driver 455 firmware everything was ok again

• Bóta TamásBóta Tamás Member
    edited April 24
    Hello! I would like to ask why the Fanatec Button Rally Module (+podium hub) is not recognized by EA WRC? The buttons for entering
    the game (enter) and navigating the menu do not work. For me, the functions can only be set in the options, 
    control setup (e.g. view, window wiper, etc.) The latest 456 driver is up and everything is updated. Thanks for the help!

• Because the game still has not added a special preset for it.

• Hello,

anybody knows when ca we expect the release of the 457 drivers? Still in April?

thank you

• edited April 24

Unclear atm. Goal is still to release a beta version in April, yes.

But this can also easily slip into May...

• Heya Maurice - just wondering if you can take a look at my question at the bottom of page 24? 🙏

• Your question was already answered by Gökhan in the first post of page 25.

• Oscar HarrisOscar Harris Member
    edited April 24

As per my response to Gokan

"How do you mean "not safe"? I saw that 456 fixed the same issue for you however the patch notes make no mention of this being targeted and I'd rather not install drivers that are still in RC (and have broadly been panned) to fix what appears to be a non-critical issue, so how is it unsafe to keep using my current config?"

I would like to know if and how it is unsafe to continue to use my current configuration?

Edit - does he just mean I'm not entirely safe from the drop out issue occurring at some point? Or can i risk bricking something with the wheel issue I have (Gokan is the only other person I've seen this specific one happen to)?

• edited April 24

I suggest to just wait for 457.

Or use Wheel Base Firmware 2.0.1.4 from driver 455 with QR Firmware 1.0.0.7 from driver 456.

Just avoid Wheel Base Firmware 2.0.2.6 from driver 456 as that's a bad one.

• I am fine to leave it as is until 457 as long as I'm not risking bricking anything by sticking with 1.0.0.3 with the wheel boot issue (i'm fine to just plug my wheel in before a session)? but thank you for elaborating!

• Gökhan OgulGökhan Ogul Member
    edited April 24

@Oscar Harris:

I mean, your configuration is safe to use, but “not safe” to protect against the freezing problem. This will fixed only with driver 457 as Maurice said. 456 has fixed the recognize problem for me with new wqr firmware. All my steering wheels are always recognized after booting up. This was not a part of the patch notes but internally it was fixed. ;) Drive and have fun if it currently works. Wait for 457.

• Maurice - above you mention 457 might now be a beta!? 456 is a beta. I thought the intent here was that 457 was to be ‘proper’ FW release. Also, why is there now a possible delay in to May? We went from end of March, to ‘for sure’ April - now April is in doubt (“could easily slip into May”).

Why all the delays??

• @ Chris

I really wish there was a like button on here. Your question sums it up perfectly.

• edited April 24

Before we release 457 as a stable official driver, the plan is to release it as a public beta (RC) version first. That's the usual way we want to release drivers in the future, always with a public run first. That's just because in the past we released drivers as official on the website and then someone found a very special issue and we got heavily criticised why we did not ran a public beta first - which we want to do now.

If no major showstopper issues are found in a given time then the driver reaches official status by being put onto the driver website (which often is the RC version 1:1 without any changes).

Delays have reasons I cant tell you.

• If problems are encountered on the 457. What will FANATEC do for blocked bases?

How will customer service solve the problem?

How will customers with bases out of warranty be helped?

How long will it take with Fanatec customer service?

It seems right to clarify this too...

Thank you

• edited April 24

What blocked bases?

Current Response times from Support are 3 weeks AFAIK but that's not my part and not a topic for the upcoming driver 457 release.

• @Gökhan Ogul Thanks so much!

• You mentioned launching in beta mode.

Then after a trial period we will move to a basic version on the official fanatec website.

But it is from 451 that there are several problems.

And some bases have returned to fanatec for repair due to faulty software that sends the bases to block (451-452 etc).

So what security would we have in a 457. beta driver?

• edited April 24

457 will be a Release Candidate driver and then soon later official.

No security risk.

Faulty bases were not caused by faulty drivers but because of sleeping hardware issues.

• The same as any firmware update.... Its a risk to update any firmware on any hardware. And Fanatec cant test on every possible combination of devices/hardware/steering wheels whatever, but they do what they can to ensure the majority work fine.

The drivers here are beta. No one is forcing you to update on day 1.

But for all the reports of updates that have bricked devices, there are probably 10 times as many successful ones - but no one goes on a forum to say it worked - only when it doesnt.

If you take precautions (follow the instructions to the letter, remove other devices from the pc etc) then your chances of success are higher

• @maurice Boschen I’m worried about the fact I’ve been waiting around 6 weeks for my service ticket to be answered but your suggesting it’s should be 3 weeks. What should I do?

• edited April 24

Contact them again.

Most likely the ticket got lost by now.

This discussion has been closed.