Fanatec CSL Elite Racing Wheel - GT Sport Compatibility - UPDATE

Comments

• edited October 2017
    I've been doing a little digging and it turns out that altough the wheel is licenced polyphony have no obligation to make it work with their game. Looks like another driveclub. Once again we have been shafted.
    How do you know this? Do you have deeper insights in the licence agreement?

BTW http://www.playm.de/2017/10/gran-turismo-sport-65-369835/ (sorry, this is only in German...)

And I raised the question here. But actually it would be a great surprise to get a reply via twitter...
  • The license is a fee payed to Sony to allow developers to implement the device to theyer software should they wish. There are many licenced products that developers choose to ignore for various reasons. Psvr is a first party licenced device. However it doesn't mean every developer HAS to implement it into there games. Even the ones that would appear to benifit from it. Gt sport has been beta tested for nearly a year and fanatec user's were completely ignored throughout the testing. Which means they had no intention's of using the full functionality of the fanatec wheels. A drive club forum over a year ago suggested that they could not use the fanatec wheels due to licencing and since the game was complete they could not implement functionality. Gt sport has been being developed for God knows how long and throughout its extensive beta testing it never once looked into the testing of fanatec products only thrustmaster and logitech. Why would polyphony spend a full year beta testing the game and just forget to include one of the main controller device's? The game is released next week. Has any fanatec user ever once been given a chance to test the wheel and give them some feedback? As I said they have no obligation but even if they do decide to implement the wheel they are releasing a game that took 4 years or more to develop and a year with a very public beta test involving thousands of people none of which were using fanatec products. Can we really expect them to cram full functionality of the csl elite wheel into the mechanics of the game in just a week? This game was made for thurstmaster or logitech users. If it does work it's a very last minute after thought. And one which they are not even obligated to do. I pray I'm wrong but we need to look at the facts.
  • Sorry don't wanna sound like a rant but it wasn't that long ago we were feed the idea that wheels needed a security chip. Then it was a licence then when project cars came along they said it was none of them things and it was purely up the the developer. It's seems like there is always some excuse. The last one was it was up to the developers. I wonder who's fault this will be??? They are running out of excuses.
  • The license is a fee payed to Sony to allow developers to implement the device to theyer software should they wish. There are many licenced products that developers choose to ignore for various reasons. Psvr is a first party licenced device. However it doesn't mean every developer HAS to implement it into there games. Even the ones that would appear to benifit from it. Gt sport has been beta tested for nearly a year and fanatec user's were completely ignored throughout the testing. Which means they had no intention's of using the full functionality of the fanatec wheels. A drive club forum over a year ago suggested that they could not use the fanatec wheels due to licencing and since the game was complete they could not implement functionality. Gt sport has been being developed for God knows how long and throughout its extensive beta testing it never once looked into the testing of fanatec products only thrustmaster and logitech. Why would polyphony spend a full year beta testing the game and just forget to include one of the main controller device's? The game is released next week. Has any fanatec user ever once been given a chance to test the wheel and give them some feedback? As I said they have no obligation but even if they do decide to implement the wheel they are releasing a game that took 4 years or more to develop and a year with a very public beta test involving thousands of people none of which were using fanatec products. Can we really expect them to cram full functionality of the csl elite wheel into the mechanics of the game in just a week? This game was made for thurstmaster or logitech users. If it does work it's a very last minute after thought. And one which they are not even obligated to do. I pray I'm wrong but we need to look at the facts.
    I would dispute that statement. For reasons being that Fanatec actually stipulated prior to the CSL release that it was going to be fully functional with GT sport and that was one of the main reasons for bridging this new found partnership and association. The community were already briefed on titles that weren't compatible as they were old titles and the hardware simply wasn't there in those specified titles which made perfect logical sense. However with the developments made and integration in titles like F1 2017 and Project Cars 2 both titles are brand new. Whether the CSL was available in Beta or not I don't think that effects whether we'd see it in a full release. There was no beta / demo for either F1 or Project Cars 2 yet they've been fully integrated.

This isn't one of being "Snubbed" as you say it's a question of why as a community we've been assured something by Fanatec who have a direct relationship with developers to ensure the hardware is functional have since removed the wheel from the list and we've had no official word from PD. False advertising or miss leading customers with information like this isn't something I would imagine possible so it's well and good speculating but i think this isn't related to what you stated. 

PSVR for example, is not a question of whether people want to implement it it's more for me a question of given its limited resources and power capability can you really expect a fully fledged safe enhanced VR experience on consoles? I think if we was to ask that seriously the answer would be no. So whilst I have a PSVR the issues with that are clear.

We need clarification from the developer why this has occurred not from Fanatec. They've only reported based off what they've discussed with PD and to see this is an issue for them not for Fanatec. They've had the files the information and the relevant support structures available yet to this point have not included it and we need to know why. All Thrustamster products have their own unique things that set it apart and that's no different so we deserve answers. 
  • edited October 2017

...Gt sport has been beta tested for nearly a year and fanatec user's were completely ignored throughout the testing. Which means they had no intention's of using the full functionality of the fanatec wheels. ... As I said they have no obligation but even if they do decide to implement the wheel they are releasing a game that took 4 years or more to develop and a year with a very public beta test involving thousands of people none of which were using fanatec products. Can we really expect them to cram full functionality of the csl elite wheel into the mechanics of the game in just a week? This game was made for thurstmaster or logitech users. If it does work it's a very last minute after thought. And one which they are not even obligated to do. ...
    Actually that sounds more than reasonable! But how could Thomas then made all these highly promising announcement in the past???

• Actually that sounds more than reasonable! So how could Thomas then made this highly promising announcement in the past???

This is the point i've tried to make above. It's not about what has or hasn't been in done in other titles it's not fair or justifiable to compare them as every developer is different. We can only base this periodically off what we've had available to us prior to GT Sport, during the demo and now as we move closer to release. 

We need a definitive answer, statement or something to break down what's happened here which as a community we deserve to know otherwise we've mostly bought on the base of false representation and false advertising. I was more than happy with my T300 as I had a load cell modification from Bodin Solutions but with the quality and technology of the Fanatec products in line with GT being developed that's why I changed my wheel.

• Actually that sounds more than reasonable! So how could Thomas then made this highly promising announcement in the past???

This is the point i've tried to make above. It's not about what has or hasn't been in done in other titles it's not fair or justifiable to compare them as every developer is different. We can only base this periodically off what we've had available to us prior to GT Sport, during the demo and now as we move closer to release. 

We need a definitive answer, statement or something to break down what's happened here which as a community we deserve to know otherwise we've mostly bought on the base of false representation and false advertising. I was more than happy with my T300 as I had a load cell modification from Bodin Solutions but with the quality and technology of the Fanatec products in line with GT being developed that's why I changed my wheel.

I am not trying to annoy anyone with my posts as I understand we are all in the same boat. But I'm sure we all agree somethings simply don't ad up. I would like answers as much as the next guy. But given the information we have its not looking good.

I am not trying to annoy anyone with my posts as I understand we are all in the same boat. But I'm sure we all agree somethings simply don't ad up. I would like answers as much as the next guy. But given the information we have its not looking good.
    Your posts aren't annoying by any means you just have to think more carefully about the context in which you're writing. We can't use other titles and other developers as examples or other pieces of technology. That's all individual between the title's developers and Fanatec on a case by case basis.

So with this instance given the facts we've had and now possess this is why we need clarification as to exactly what's happened here and to what extent it'll impact on the community in which it serves. That's all!
  • I thought I would be more upset about this then I am. I would like to plat GT Sport but I'm so happy with this wheel base that I don't really care anymore. I'll just play the games with support and have fun doing it. Might be the last straw when it comes to my support of Sony products though. If they don't realize this is the best base available for consoles, I guess they will be losing customers left and right. Thanks for the great base FANTEC I love it.
  • I understand it's not fair to make judgement's based on other companies or developers. Unfortunately that's just how we make any kind of judgment in any aspect of life (experience ). I'm not running down Fanatec. I've been buying there products for many years. I've owned 4 Fanatec wheels and have all the other bells and whistles to go with it. But through my own experience with promises being made expecially with game development. They can promise anything they want but it's very easy for them to just not follow through. I've been burned so many times with false promises and I'm sure they were made with the best intentions but at the end of it all you can end up not getting what you paid for.
  • I understand it's not fair to make judgement's based on other companies or developers. Unfortunately that's just how we make any kind of judgment in any aspect of life (experience ). I'm not running down Fanatec. I've been buying there products for many years. I've owned 4 Fanatec wheels and have all the other bells and whistles to go with it. But through my own experience with promises being made expecially with game development. They can promise anything they want but it's very easy for them to just not follow through. I've been burned so many times with false promises and I'm sure they were made with the best intentions but at the end of it all you can end up not getting what you paid for.
    I totally agree. I'm on wheel #3 myself with about 2,000 in Fanatec equipment so I know where your coming from. Hell I have a collectors edition of GT sport preordered since last September(2016). But this base has brought even my older games to new life, PC, Dirt Rally, Nascar Heat, and even the Crew for some fun. its hard to be bitter when racing for me hasn't been this enjoyable for years. So I'll stick to the older stuff until something gets straightened out.
  • Don't SONY own POLYPHONY?

• Don't SONY own POLYPHONY?

Yes they are a Sony developer
  • edited October 2017
    I know that's not suitable saying other company product in here , i own my CSW V1 + CSP V2 + CSS over 4~5 years , and i only play console games , i used G25/27 mode for PS3 , and used Cronusmax V3 plus for PS4 games , recently bought a updated product call " DriveHub " , it's a fantastic product , you can use your any Fanatec products on any consoles (PS3,PS4,XB,PC,etc.) no any delay and wrong FBB signal , for other Thrustmaster users , you can using T500 with fanatec pedals , shifter or handbrake , i definitely love Fanatec products , can't go back Thrusmaster , Logitech or other brands....   

ps. I use DriveHub to simulate G29 for GTS beta demo, and use DriveHub to simulate CSL Elite for PCars 2 
    btw, hope Thomas fix the compatible issue for GTS soon , coz i just bought CSH for GTS rally , if no CSLE on list , i can't use the handbrake
  • I have found a possible solution regarding the lack of FFB with GT Sport.  My Fanatec Elite is now working in the game fully after purchasing the Drive Hub. Hooked up the Drive Hub to the new Elite and works like a charm.  We shall see if the final game includes the Fanatec codes so the Drivie Hub can be removed and then receive the advertised sensations from Fanatec.
  • edited October 2017

...We need a definitive answer, statement or something to break down what's happened here which as a community we deserve to know otherwise we've mostly bought on the base of false representation and false advertising...
    You are so right in this point!
    ...I've been burned so many times with false promises and I'm sure they were made with the best intentions but at the end of it all you can end up not getting what you paid for.
    Yes, this best intention obviously was to generate revenue and I really hope we will get what we paid for.
  • The last thing my racing rig needs is another device plugged into it. It's already a spaghetti junction. How's about Sony just read the forums and fix this mess by doing what they should have started doing a year ago. Software and hardware companies have a symbiotic relationship. They need each other to exist. The only thing they need more is US! The consumer! Make you're voices heard with your wallets. I simply won't buy the game until it's sorted out. And I won't be used as a last minute beta tester and have to wait 6 months on multiple updates in order to enjoy the game I paid full price for and was stupid enough to preorder based on false promises.I already done that and refuse to be burned again.
  • Looks like we need a "G29 Mode" added

I think the situation will remain unchanged at least for some weeks. We definitely won't see the CSL Elite wheel supported by the GT Sport demo. There is no reason for Sony/Polyphony to deliver a patch for the demo at least based on their way of thinking...

So IMHO the simple question to Thomas is: "Can we expect that the wheel will be fully supported as announced or not?"

I see no reason why it will not be supported. But we need to know to what extent (rev lights, shifter, handbrake, force feedback, etc) and a confirmed date. We are on it and Sony Europe is taking this very serious as well.
    I think we don't even need the shifter, cause the clutch is nowhere to be found in the open beta of GT Sport. I know the shifter works, cause I'm playing the beta with my V2.5 and a DriveHub, but shifter peddles just work fine cause no need to use a clutch.

I think the situation will remain unchanged at least for some weeks. We definitely won't see the CSL Elite wheel supported by the GT Sport demo. There is no reason for Sony/Polyphony to deliver a patch for the demo at least based on their way of thinking...

So IMHO the simple question to Thomas is: "Can we expect that the wheel will be fully supported as announced or not?"

I see no reason why it will not be supported. But we need to know to what extent (rev lights, shifter, handbrake, force feedback, etc) and a confirmed date. We are on it and Sony Europe is taking this very serious as well.
    I think we don't even need the shifter, cause the clutch is nowhere to be found in the open beta of GT Sport. I know the shifter works, cause I'm playing the beta with my V2.5 and a DriveHub, but shifter peddles just work fine cause no need to use a clutch.
    There are some of us that prefer to use a shifter and clutch if that’s how the original car functions. So getting this functionality would be a plus for us.

No no no...we do need the shifter and the handbrake as well as the clutch. I could live without the rev lights but I didn't buy all this equipment for some short sighted developer to all of a sudden get lazy and make my investment a waste of money.
  • I also prefer the clutch Chris. But it's useless in the beta. Shifting with it and H pattern box doesn't do jack
  • I also prefer the clutch Chris. But it's useless in the beta. Shifting with it and H pattern box doesn't do jack
    I also prefer the clutch Chris. But it's useless in the beta. Shifting with it and H pattern box doesn't do jack
    I also prefer the clutch Chris. But it's useless in the beta. Shifting with it and H pattern box doesn't do jack
    Gotcha. Understand now
    Gotcha. Understand now
    The clutch was always a bit crap in the GT games even in gt6 they never seemed to get it right. But I had hoped that after 20 years of development they might just get it right. The clutch works great in all the forza games from forza 3 and on.

• ...We need a definitive answer, statement or something to break down what's happened here which as a community we deserve to know otherwise we've mostly bought on the base of false representation and false advertising...
    Because of this here comes my suggestion just in case this mess won't be sorted out by Fanatec and Polyphony. All of us who purchased this CSL Elite wheel for the PS4 will get a partial refund from Fanatec in order to by this Drive Hub Racing Wheel Converter.

And if this sounds somehow unfair to you Thomas I would say it's your turn to reclaim this funding from Sony/PD.
    How about that?

• ...We need a definitive answer, statement or something to break down what's happened here which as a community we deserve to know otherwise we've mostly bought on the base of false representation and false advertising...
    Because of this here comes my suggestion just in case this mess won't be sorted out by Fanatec and Polyphony. All of us who purchased this CSL Elite wheel for the PS4 will get a partial refund from Fanatec in order to by this Drive Hub Racing Wheel Converter.

And if this sounds somehow unfair to you Thomas I would say it's your turn to reclaim this funding from Sony/PD.
    How about that?
    Sounds fair
  • Hi there,

Just receive a email from fanatec:

Dear Sim-Racer,

Thank you for the purchase of your new “CSL Elite Racing Wheel - officially licensed for PS4™”. We constantly update the software within our products to ensure the very best performance and compatibility. 

We strongly recommend updating the firmware of your new PS4 racing wheel before first use!

The new firmware will improve your driving experience no matter which gaming platform (PC, PS4™, XBO) you are using. To perform the update, you will need a Windows PC (Windows Vista - Win10) and the PC driver which can be downloaded from our website:

https://www.fanatec.com/goto/CSL-PS4-Wheel-Downloads

You can find a quick-guide explaining the update process attached to this Email. The update process will only take you about 5 minutes. If you would need additional assistance to install the new firmware, our support team will be there for you to help via Live-Chat, Email or telephone:

https://www.fanatec.com/goto/support

Thank you very much and have fun using your new Force Feedback Racing Wheel,
    Your FANATEC team!

Did any one try this to see if GTS works?

• Hi there,

Just receive a email from fanatec:

Dear Sim-Racer,

Thank you for the purchase of your new “CSL Elite Racing Wheel - officially licensed for PS4™”. We constantly update the software within our products to ensure the very best performance and compatibility. 

We strongly recommend updating the firmware of your new PS4 racing wheel before first use!

The new firmware will improve your driving experience no matter which gaming platform (PC, PS4™, XBO) you are using. To perform the update, you will need a Windows PC (Windows Vista - Win10) and the PC driver which can be downloaded from our website:

https://www.fanatec.com/goto/CSL-PS4-Wheel-Downloads

You can find a quick-guide explaining the update process attached to this Email. The update process will only take you about 5 minutes. If you would need additional assistance to install the new firmware, our support team will be there for you to help via Live-Chat, Email or telephone:

https://www.fanatec.com/goto/support

Thank you very much and have fun using your new Force Feedback Racing Wheel,
    Your FANATEC team!

Did any one try this to see if GTS works?

It's not the firmware.it's the game itself
  • Clearly a thrust master wheel guy.
  • Well I really hope things get sorted here, because I find Assetto Corsa very disappointing with the CSL and F1 is okay for the type of title it is.

I would have regretted my purchase should this not be resolved succesfully. But any advice is welcome for AC for wheel or in game settings,