Hybrid Fanatec Elite V2 Pedal Mod with Larger Heusinkveld Elastomers

SteveSteve Member
edited December 2022 in Pedals

Really like the V2 Elite pedals, and was wondering if it was possible to try different elastomers to add more variety and options to the brake pedal feel. Turns out there is a relatively easy way to get the V2s to feel closer to the highly regarded Heusinkveld Sprints - use those great chunky Heusinkveld elastomers in the V2s!

Both the V2's and Sprints use an M8 width stack shaft so elastomers from the £25/25€/$25 Heusinkveld Elastomer Kit fit perfectly.

Also needed are some larger nylon spacers to put between each elastomer, M8 40mm diameter x 4mm is perfect as the Heusinkveld elastomers have a greater diameter than Fanatecs. Here's a link for UK folks:

What is also required are two 25mm diameter M10 washers to fill the V2 end spacers (Fanatec spacers are designed for 25mm diameter elastomers and so it's best to fill the recess they have with the washers to allow even pressure distribution). NOTE: M8 washers will not fit correctly at the top of the V2 shaft, use M10 washers. Example UK washer purchase link:

Here is a diagram of some elastomer/spacer combinations. With other width spacers there will be more combos to try. Spacers need to be 30mm diameter or greater though, 35-40mm diameter recommended.

I found the default 65/65/65 shore V2 elastomers still a tad hard and a lot of my braking was being absorbed just by the uptake spring and small elastomer within it, so a full stack just with Heusinkveld elastomers feels a lot better to me. The Heusinkveld elastomers are also slightly softer and springier than the Fanatec ones so the use of the uptake spring can be optional if you want a full elasatomer setup.

Anyway, hopefully anyone wanting something closer to the feel of the Sprints with the V2s (which is also console compatible of course) might also want to try this mod out. Please see my diagram and images for more details.

Comments

• Small update to 40mm diameter nylon spacers, I think the ones in this link (from the UK) are of higher quality with less rough edges:

Also added an extra option to the elastomer combinations diagram:

• might fit for csl pedals load cell

• It would be good if some combination also fits because the standard CSL load cell doesn't even have the preload spring so it feels rock hard. I returned my standard CSL load cell pedal due to the hardness so unfortunately can't do a test anymore to see if the Heusinkveld elastomers will fit easily.

If I recall the standard CSL load cell elastomer shaft is not as long as the V2 stack so just the 37mm elastomer on its own with a few spacers might be the only option for it. Washers and wider spacers will definitely be needed again though to spread out the pressure correctly.

• Thank you for working up this spec sheet and part list to modify the Fanatec CSL Elite V2 pedals. After getting these parts in this week and trying the various configurations it really does expand the feeling of the brake pedal.

I landed on a hybrid of the two Heusinkfeld 19mm elastomers (1 hard, 1soft) with the black uptake spring and stock elastomer. This gives a 2-stage feel with a firm but more progressive feel. I found the larger 37mm Heusinkfeld elastomer a bit too spongy so this is a good step between with an overall medium firmness.

• SteveSteve Member
    edited October 2023

Thanks for letting me know you've tried the mod and like it (and so hopefully it was worth the extra money needed to do it).

I attempted the two 19mm elastomer plus spring option but found it a bit tricky to squeeze the full stack back into position so didn't want to put that option on the diagram just in case it all didn't fit back easily, but it looks like it works fine.

As you are using a two pedal setup, another thing to perhaps try one day is to swap out the accelerator for the clutch pedal as it has a slightly stiffer spring (and uses the same hall sensor wiring so just plug the clutch cable cable into the accelerator socket). You'll need to swap over the accelerator's larger rubber stopper as well - but this stopper is easily removed as there is a hole underneath the pedal base where the end of a screwdriver or something similar can push it out (the other stopper should then click back into position with some presses of the pedal).

• Yes overall this elastomer and spring combo mod improves the feel from stock setup. I am still dialing it in combination with the brake force settings. Also trying the blue spring as it is softer and alongside the 2 Heusinkveld bushings, makes the 2-stage more prominent. Lighter initial uptake, then progressive firmness from those 19mm elastomers. Helps with the muscle memory with brake pressure consistency through the range.

Found the geometry of this combination stack was inline with the other versions. Uninstalled, it leaves about 1.5mm of the shaft exposed at the end. Use those plastic orange end caps to help with installation leverage. But have to agree that with the CSL Elite V2 construction, the harder the bushing combo the more difficult it is to install. Those orange caps like to slip off while applying force as the tolerance is too loose in my opinion.

Thanks for the tip about swapping the clutch as the throttle pedal. Haven’t considered that one!

• Bad luck for me, bought all parts, started to modify, but the original V2 Elastomer/Uptake Spring isn't detachable anymore, so I always have to use a spring.

• Not entirely sure how the spring is not removable anymore - is it now fused to the main shaft somehow? Does this mean there isn't an option to change out the standard blue spring to the stiffer black spring?

Hopefully the mod was worthwhile over than the standard elastomers even if you still have to use a spring.

• Hi Steve,

I love the v2 pedals but found the stock brake stack way too hard so thanks a million for this brake mod! I've purchased all the parts and will be fitting them shortly, but had a question re. the stock spring (blue or black) positioning - in the stock setup the spring is placed at the top of the stack, but in your mod diagram the springs are placed at the bottom. Curious as to why this would be?

Thanks again! :-)

• The spring is at the other end to match how Heusinkveld do theirs but it shouldn't make any difference.

If you want the lightest, smoothest and perhaps most 'fun' setup, especially if you just play in socks and tend to use a low brake force (20% or lower) in the control panel it's worth trying the stack with just two elastomers and no spring as the Heusinkveld softs are quite springy anyway. If you drive with shoes and/or want a more realistic setup probably keep the spring.

You will still have to use the little Fanatec elastomer within the spring though to reduce the hard bump/transition when the spring gets fully compressed. I still prefer no spring mainly because the little Fanatec elastomer inside was absorbing too much of the initial brake force and I was worried about its longevity compared to the Hesinkveld elastomers which should be very durable. Hope you find a combo that works well for how you want it.

• hi @Steve !

Ive just tried this configuration and it works perfectly! I also found the stock from the V2's too hard so this offers so many more options. Thank you so much! I ended up with @Daryl Harris configuration and it feels great! Thank you Daryl :)

Also regarding @Cami comment on the Elastomer/Uptake Spring not being detachable, I thought I had this problem too but you just need to apply more force to separate it. If your hand strength doesnt help, try using the pedal without the string and apply force with your feet. I hope that helps.

• Signed up to say thanks. Did this mod and brake feels much better!

Cheap to mod defo worth it.

Same as Jose did Daryls setup.

• I would really like to try this but Whats stopping me is the 12,40 € for shipping for the nylon spacers only. I couldnt find an alternative to buy here in germany.

Main Problem i have with my standard brake is that there is kind of a dead travel, hard to explain, https://youtube.com/shorts/rYR953C3ZvI?feature=share

Its just a strange feeling that i would like to get rid of

• maybe i could use only fanatec elastomers for example 2x 75 and 2x 65, what do you think

• SteveSteve Member
    edited March 22

Hi Felix, sorry for the late reply to your message.

I listed all the specific washer and spacer details in the mod to make sure this upgrade was as perfect as possible, but I should have more clearly mentioned that you can still use the original Fanatec spacers if you want to. The original Fanatec spacers have a little raised edge on them so won't fit the larger 30mm diameter Heusinkveld elastomers quite as well, but should still work fine. Someone on Reddit has also done this mod without using any extra spacer parts and they seem happy with it:

If you squeeze in a full Heusinkveld stack with no spring - it should also remove that dead travel area you show in the video.

Overall I highly recommend getting the Heusinkveld kit, use the original Fanatec spacers and work from there. Normal metal M8 washers can be used to fill in any gaps between the elastomers if needed.