Normal behavior of DD1?

After a racing session (like 40 min) my base/wheel starts behaving like the magnets got strong (see video in the link)

Already reset the motor calibration, reflashed the firmware. Tried older firmware with no improvement.

This behavior still keeps even if quitting the game. Powering off and on the base will smooth it again, but after a racing session it returns. When the base just got powered on, the wheel feels like as the base has gears which it doesn't has gears. Also the when touching the wheel not the base, it feels like vibrating all the time.

Comments

• No, this is not normal behaviour.

You have to contact the support to get the base repaired / exchanged.

• I received a new DD1, mounted, plugged in, immediately updated the firmeware and started racing.

I'm using the fanatec recommended settings for F1 22 on F1 23.

The behaviour is still the same. Does anyone has an idea?

• Then unfortunately you got another faulty unit and you need to contact the support again for another exchange.

• If the new wheelbase also has the same problems, maybe it's not the wheelbase's fault. Or rather, not quite. The initial vibration, as if there are gears that aren't there, makes me think of the circulation of eddy currents, sending inputs to the motor.

If you are using a metal cockpit you should try connecting the platter, where the wheelbase is mounted, to the electrical ground of your home system.

• edited July 2023

If the base develops cogging after some minutes then it's a (known) hardware issue, not a user or EMI issue.

It should never ever do that and if it does then there is nothing the user can do as the electronics in the base are faulty.

• So a third one is faulty too? I'm sad that the third one does exact same behavior. I can't believe that would be an hardware issue.

• edited July 2023

It IS a hardware issue and is currently being investigated internally as it's NOT normal to have cogging after some minutes.

All you can do is... To ask for replacements again and again and again until you maybe get a unit which does not have this issue.

• 4th one behaves like the Video. Still waiting for return shipping.

I ordered a DD2 and it behaves exactly like all 4 DD1.

Video of the DD2 after 30 min training session in GP, even if I quit the game it keeps that behavior.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1082726960448405624/1145725221668655114/IMG_0939.mov

• Unbelievable...

I feel soooo sorry for you...

That's absolutely ridiculous.

But you would need to continue complaining about the issue to maybe finally get a properly working unit sometime in the future.

Or you say you want your money back - you have all the rights to also ask for that route as well...

• Marcel PfisterMarcel Pfister Member, Administrator

Hi Simon, I want to try to get in contact with the support/repair team and sent you a private message.

• edited September 2023

Hello,

I have the exact same issue with my DD1(11 cogs). I did also talk with the support and they suggested RMA also. I didnt sent the unit yet because I had the feeling that its non fixable by exchanging the unit.

Reading this thread it seems to be the case.. its so strange because my unit wont do this sometimes at all for hours and sometimes it comes in 5 minutes after turning on. Reseting(turning off and on) the base it cures itself for a while, like yours. The problem can also happen if the base is just idling, it doesnt need to be used at all, just powered on. It can do this without a steering wheel in place too.

Im still testing stuff, grounding and EMI, but got nothing yet.

Im also not sure if this issue affects the feeling or performance of the wheel, its very hard to tell because with strong FFB it kind of blends in, thats also one of the reasons I havent RMAd it yet.

Its also hard to tell how many people/base suffer this problem because alot of discussions says that these motors have natural cogging by design(which is true and I can feel this very minor cogging too, when the wheel is behaving normally), but this 11 hard cogs after a while is not the same thing, not all people realize this.

Solution would be nice.

• edited September 2023

Unfortunately there is no solution as this is a hardware issue which cant be fixed remotely via Firmware etc. So if you are affected by the issue than the only option is exchanging the base. Do this before your warranty runs out!

• Thanks, appreciate the info, but how do you know this exactly? I mean if this guy has received 5 faulty units.. just wow. And this other guy said it was EMI?

How cant they not know this issue at Fanatec? Or test for it somehow before selling the units.

I guess its RMA then if there really are some units which wont do this.. or SC2

• edited September 2023

I know this because I was also a victim of the issue so I know that it is absolutely not normal and there are plenty of bases out there which dont do this but are perfectly smooth. So it's not EMI but faulty hardware. When someone receives 5 faulty units then it seems the whole current stock in the warehouse (or at least a high percentage) could be affected...🙈

• I agree to Marko, that just turn the base on will do the cogging after a while. Even without an USB connection.

Marko said the strong FFB blends the cogging, yes that's true but there were some races where I had to counter-control the cogging which got stronger and almost ruined my race.

Few minutes ago I called a friend who recently ordered a DD1, he confirmed he got that cogging too. But didn't RMA it yet.

• Yeah, I have been testing this issue now even harder, and I think I can notice the difference too when its not cogging, its nicer to drive definitely. Otherwise not good news then, I really hate to RMA such heavy devices, and now it seems its more than likely to receive a bad unit on exchange.

Yesterday it did the cogging in 5 minutes after starting, then I reseted and it didnt do it for the rest of the day, for several hours. Very weird behavior, I really dont understand what in the hardware could cause such an issue with the magnets/motor, too much current flowing in the coils..perhaps?

• I returned everything back and they told there was a defective solder joint in the wheel 2.5X which caused defects on every bases.

• Your problem was solved ?