Fanatec Driver 402 (before 399) incl. new Firmware Manager for CSL, CSW and Podium WB (all wheels)

Comments

• Hi, i cant open the FWM, a get an error saying "problem encountered while reading versions.xml

64bit

• hello

I have the DD2. I uninstalled 381, restarted the PC. and i install 399.restart pc again

then I turn on the DD2 and I connect V3 pedal board to USB.

and I run Fanatec Wheel Property Page, it tells me to update, I click yes and

"A problem has been encountered while reading versions.xml! Please contact FANATEC support for help"

I uninstalled 399, I downloaded it again. another failure

so I reinstalled 381. I'm waiting for the next update, this 399 is not good for me

• edited January 2021

I am about to go from 381 to 399 on DD2.

In 381 I had removed the motor calibration (because it feels better without calibration to me). So my ordinary question is there any changes to the anticogging algorithm worth doing motor calibration? I guess not (since I see that there is new firmware for the base, but not for the motor), but it does not heart to to ask :)

• No changes to ACV, this would be highlighted when there is a ACV4.

• Thanks Maurice

• Thank you for the driver package.

I personally like the fact that I can save the Tunig Menu settings and restore them.

Since I have never had problems with the firmware updates and the necessary settings after one of these, the Firmware Manager was not important to me, but it is a huge relief and I think and hope your RMA department has less to do and the developers can now take care of the core business.

It's also nice that the ingenious V3 pedals are not forgotten and that there is still room for improvement.

All the best and stay healthy!

• Robert, Did it feel any better than the last update and is the occasional clunking gone now? I still get it from time to time with the last update.

Thanks

Brent Cicciarelli

• I got this message also, but after like spamming 10x times, it worked so I was able to update everything...

And I still got the problem with the F1 V2 Wheel, even in version V40:

The wheel suddenly shuts down. When it occurs, my DD1 is still working, the pedals too. Even the FFB is still working. It happens almost once every race in ACC. To make it work, I need to unplug and plug the wheel back again...

I tightened the screws of the quick release and the ones near the pins. It was very loose... I will try if it changes something

• I'm still getting the wheel shut downs too. Frustrating.

• DD1, PBME, Podium Hub, Podium Paddles, V3's all firmware updates worked perfectly. Only thing it didn't do was restore the previous settings but I have those saved in Fanalab anyway so just loaded them again and all good to go. Not sure if I like the new or old update method I never had issues with the old method but if it makes it easier on users and Fanatec support then bonus.

Only question is regarding the V3's,

I've always just used the RJ12 connection to race, now that I've updated the firmware in them by connecting the USB (after disconnecting the rj12 first) is there an advantage to using USB over rj12 still or has the firmware update negated that ?

Cheers

• This part didn't work for me. I only updated a single steering wheel firmware. When I clicked finish, the BME then flashed CAL. I tried restarting the base, but it was the same. So manually reset center calibration and then restored my settings. Everything else is good so far.

DD2, Podium hub, BME.

Updated from 2020-11-19-Fanatec_driver_381

• When connected via USB you will have a higher resolution on the pedals.

• There is no advantage. Only a disadvantage that you have to use another usb cable which takes away a usb Port of your pc and you also lose the BRF Feature.

So basically when you have a Fanatec Base it makes absolutely no Sense to use the USB connection with V3 Pedals.

• @maurice böschen, it seems a lot of us are getting the same "versions.xml" error, could you reproduce it already?

I was able to bypass it already, but even after that if I try to open fwm again it persists on the error.

• edited January 2021

I see and have reported this internally.

Only one from a lot of Testers had this issue but when he clicked on the ok button in this error message then the firmware Manager opened for him.

But for all of you the Manager does not start which of course is a critical issue and will be investigated next week ASAP.

• Thanks for the clarification and info Maurice, as always it is very much appreciated.

Cheers

• This is what happened to me. I upgraded my CSW V2.5 with Clubsport V2 wheel. This went well and seemed to have worked flawlessly. I got a prompt to upgrade any other wheels I had. I removed my V2 and attached my CSL Elite McLaren GT3 v.1 (original one). I flashed the wheel update and it went into a never ending loop of flashing the wheel and calibrating. I did this 10 or so times and could not break the loop. I ended up having to flash back to driver 381, because I could not get the wheel out of calibration mode with the new driver.

I think this version probably would have worked with just my V2, but trying to flash the OG McLaren GT3 had it shaking and quivering. So beware of this driver with the McLaren wheel. I think I will have to wait for a fix or a new version. Not sure seemed like it was going to be promising.

• edited January 2021

Please see on page 1 a message from Armin Habermann. He posted the correct FW32 which you have to manually flash in the Manager.

The Devs mistakenly included the old firmware v31 into the driver instead of the correct v32 which leads you in the bootloader loop.

Will be fixed in next driver.

• Questions:

1. Was the v381 (RC) not supposed to be an official driver ?
    2. Is the v399 a RC ?

Regards,

Oli

• edited January 2021

The 381 is a stable official release driver which you can find in every product page in the download Tab for several months now.

399 is kind of a RC but the found issues will make a new driver necessary before it can be put on the webshop pages as the next stable driver.

• edited January 2021

Thanks Maurice for the swift reply and amazing support!

As a V2.5 owner, do you suggest to test the v399?

Oli

• I dont see big benefits for the CSW if you dont also have a BME or McLaren V1 or CSP v3.

• I also get the message "A problem has been encountered while reading versions.xml".

In Windows Application Event log I get these errors

I have a fully updated Windows 10 20H2 installation with .NET Framework 4.8.04084.

Application Error event ID 1000

Faulting application name: FanatecFirmwareManager.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0xd08512f9

Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.19041.746, time stamp: 0x197b16c5

Exception code: 0xe0434352

Fault offset: 0x0012a842

Faulting process id: 0x28e0

Faulting application start time: 0x01d6ebeb8c8b2965

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Fanatec\Fanatec Wheel\fw\FanatecFirmwareManager.exe

Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll

Report Id: 7c682c4c-dac5-4a9c-85f9-0af2cb14c64b

Faulting package full name: 

Faulting package-relative application ID: 

I also get an error for .NET Runtime

.NET Runtime event ID 1026

Application: FanatecFirmwareManager.exe

Framework Version: v4.0.30319

Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.

Exception Info: System.FormatException

at System.Number.ParseSingle(System.String, System.Globalization.NumberStyles, System.Globalization.NumberFormatInfo)

at FanatecFirmwareManager.FanatecDevice.AllFirmwareVersionsAcquired()

at FanatecFirmwareManager.MainWindow.Initialize()

at FanatecFirmwareManager.MainWindow..ctor()

Exception Info: System.Windows.Markup.XamlParseException

at System.Windows.Markup.WpfXamlLoader.Load(System.Xaml.XamlReader, System.Xaml.IXamlObjectWriterFactory, Boolean, System.Object, System.Xaml.XamlObjectWriterSettings, System.Uri)

at System.Windows.Markup.WpfXamlLoader.LoadBaml(System.Xaml.XamlReader, Boolean, System.Object, System.Xaml.Permissions.XamlAccessLevel, System.Uri)

at System.Windows.Markup.XamlReader.LoadBaml(System.IO.Stream, System.Windows.Markup.ParserContext, System.Object, Boolean)

at System.Windows.Application.LoadBamlStreamWithSyncInfo(System.IO.Stream, System.Windows.Markup.ParserContext)

at System.Windows.Application.LoadComponent(System.Uri, Boolean)

at System.Windows.Application.DoStartup()

at System.Windows.Application.<.ctor>b__1_0(System.Object)

at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)

at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)

at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()

at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeInSecurityContext(System.Object)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)

at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.Run(MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)

at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()

at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()

at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)

at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)

at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(System.Object)

at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)

at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)

at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherPriority, System.TimeSpan, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)

at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)

at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(System.Windows.Interop.MSG ByRef)

at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)

at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrame(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)

at System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(System.Object)

at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(System.Windows.Window)

at System.Windows.Application.Run(System.Windows.Window)

at FanatecFirmwareManager.App.Main()

• can i upgrade the base and the wheel and dont update the V3 pedals?

• can i leave the usb cable connected only to pedals and not in pc for the firmware updates in future?

I have to take the pedals of the cockpit to connecet the usb and if i can do this its easy just to plug the ubs cable to pc when needed for the updates.

• @Mats Medman

"Exception Info: System.FormatException

at System.Number.ParseSingle(System.String, System.Globalization.NumberStyles, System.Globalization.NumberFormatInfo)

at FanatecFirmwareManager.FanatecDevice.AllFirmwareVersionsAcquired()

at FanatecFirmwareManager.MainWindow.Initialize()"

That is some usefull information!

I had this issue "cannot read version.xml" and could solve it by changing the location in windows from "German(Austria)" to "German(Germany)" and the Firmware Manager started perfectly.

This discussion has been closed.