Fanatec Driver 402 (before 399) incl. new Firmware Manager for CSL, CSW and Podium WB (all wheels)

Comments

• No, my pedals are connected to my DD2 with the RJ12 cable. I only used USB to update them.

• Podium DD-base, V3-pedals and several wheels.

Driver and base-firmware are a nice improvement over version 38x in terms of ffb feel and detail. Well done.

Firmware updates are the same struggle I've had since years, even on my brand new WIN10 machine. Whenever you decide to update your base, pedals or wheels the relevant device is put into bootloader mode, but the corresponding updater never gets loaded. New with driver 399, apart from the interface, is the timeout. The base is left in bootloader mode with a message stating it isn't accessible. Pedals are left in bootloader mode as well, with a message stating everything went fine (which is not). Haven't tried a wheel-update yet.

I learned to live with that, so no problem for me.

First time Fanatec users might be puzzled.

• edited January 2021

There were no changes/updates/improvements made to the FFB in general. Should feel exactly the same as with driver 381, might be Placebo or different settings if you feel a (positive) difference in feel and detail...^^

Main change between 381 and 399 is the firmware Manager, but no FFB changes in the firmware code were made at all.

• Maurice,

I know you guys keep telling that like a prayer wheel ;-)

But there definately was a big difference in FFB detail and feel between 37x and 38x, at least with a Podium DD base.

Someone driving without motor calibration (like you and me) because of the difference it makes, should be able to reproduce that.

But never mind, I'm a happy racer and that's what counts. I'd just wish all placebos were that obvious ;-)

Alles gut

Matthias

• My formula v2 rim just vibrates when I go to do the update and the program doesnt respond anymore. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software and get the same results. I am on a 1.1 wheelbase running windows 10 64.

• Finally a update on pedals . It seems to solve my problem with the brake pedal fade When pushing hard . When i quickly braked hard it would fade lowering brake power in iracing when i didnt release brake pressure with my leg . That problem was bugging me a lot because you buy a loadcell for precision and the v3 loadcell was more all over the place fluctuating a lot then precision

• Hanyang CaoHanyang Cao Member
    edited January 2021

I"m running DD2, CS Pedal v3, Formula wheel v2. The set min and max buttons for pedals are missing in the property page for me. Pretty inconvenient as I like to rest my foot on the brake and now I can't recalibrate the zero level...

Realized that I need to enable the manual mode for this...

edited January 2021

Playing F1 2020 - a lot of the times the APM shifter would register, and the wheel display says "caution - update firmware". It's very strange because according to the firmware updater my Formula wheel is already on the latest firmware.

• I downgraded to 381 and flashed the wheel firmware from that version. it didn't seem to solve the problem, after a few min in game it appears that the whole wheel would lose input signal (in the wheel property page it also doesn't register any input for any key I press on the wheel). Not sure if it has anything to do with the previous update to 399. I never had this kind of issue before.

• i installed the new drivers but it doesn't update the firmware

• What do you mean? Do you get the error message with version.xml?

• hello maurice, no message error, only don't start.

• my previous drivers were the 381

• with the previous drivers never any problem

• my OS is winsows 10 64

• my set up is dd1 and formula v2

• Massimo, the Forum has a Edit function so you can Edit your messages after you posted when you want to tell more Info.

Please make use of this feature to not Spam this thread with dozens of messages ;)

Regarding the issue, so the firmware Manager is not opening for you but you also do not get any error message? Or is it the driver which is not opening? Did you tried the repair function of the installer or uninstalled completely and reinstalled? Did you tried a different USB Port?

• that's right, the firmware manager does not open, I tried to uninstall and reinstall but nothing to do, I tried to change the usb but it does not open, I went back to the 381 drivers.

• I found an issue with PS4, not huge, but not like it should be.

Update went fine no issues here.

After update connecting it back to the PS4 and switching to PS4 mode, if you turn the base off and start it again it will show PC instead of PS4...

Can still switch to PS4 mode, but this is not how it should work, it should remember the last setting like before.

• If you changed from PC to PS4 mode while it was still connected to the PC it is normal that the bases changes back to PC mode. When you then just Disconnect from PC and connect it to PS4 it's therefore also normal that it's starts back in PC mode as this would be the last mode it was set to before.

When it's connected to ps4 and in ps4 mode does it now correctly starts again in ps4 mode?

• Same thing here with my DD1, no settings were restored after the update of base and wheel.

• Hi Maurice,

No, it doesn't, it defaults back to PC

Just to check, turned off the PS4, turned the base on and put this into PS4 mode, turned base off.

Turned on the PS4, after started up, turned on the base, and it defaults back to PC mode.

I manually need to change to PS4 mode

• Hi, some feedback on the new firmware updater. Overall it worked really well and I think will make the process a lot simpler/easy to follow for less experienced users. I did encounter one quirk which I thought I’d explain.

I was initially updating a Podium F1 DD with Porsche GT3 Podium Wheel attached.

Step 1) The wheelbase firmware updated first and the Firmware Update prompted me to Calibrate the centre position. This seemed to work fine

Step 2) I think the podium hub itself was updated next, which worked fine but afterwards, the Wheel was prompting me to calibrate it again but the Firmware update screen was wanting to start the PBME update and not prompting for centre calibration. I was able to use the wheel buttons to calibrate centre and then carried on with PBME update without issue.

I suppose some users might get a bit confused if they didn’t know you can do that? Also I’m not sure if there would have been any issue with updating the PBME whilst the wheel was prompting to be calibrated?

Apart from that, all other updates worked seamlessly including CSPv3 and two Formula V2 wheels. Definitely a helpful tool for end users.

I had posted about an issue I encountered with firmware v381 and the Porsche GT3 wheel when using Playstation. That still seems to be behaving the same (see details below).

I tried raising a ticket for this but couldn’t get the submission page to work on a variety of browsers and never received a confirmation mail. Let me know if should try that again though.

Hardware: Podium F1 DD, CSPv3, Podium Porsche GT3 Wheel, Formula V2 wheel and R300 UHX Wheel

Firmwares: Updated using latest driver v399 (also same on v381)

Problem Description:

PS4 games ACC and F1 2020 have full support for Fanatec wheels and on my Formula V2 wheels, all the APM, Rotary and toggle switches work as expected with the Podium Wheelbase in PS4 mode. However, with the Porsche PBME and APM module, the following inputs are not working as expected:

• Left / Right Toggle switches not detected in game
    • Left / Right APM secondary paddles not detected in game

If I rebuild the wheel using the Universal Hub for Xbox instead of the Podium hub, the Left / Right Toggle switches are now detected in game but the APM secondary paddles are still not working.

As I mention, the direct equivalents on the Formula V2 wheel work perfectly which suggests some sort of mapping/pass through bug for the PBME/APM in certain configurations. Note that all inputs are working in the driver properties screen with PC Mode.

Any guidance or help in getting resolved would be much appreciated.

Thanks all,

Ryan

• Hi Maurice,

I went through the flash proces again, just for haha's and to be sure I didn't mis anything...

After flashing settings are not recovered ( side note ) and mentioned before.

But after flashing, and settings back your settings manually, you need disconnect the DD1 from the PC ( keeping it turned on! ) and then put in in PS4 mode.

Then connect it to the PS4 again, when you now turn it off and on again it switches back to PS4 mode.... Interesting, but this never happened, maybe something I did different order...

• David LugassyDavid Lugassy Member
    edited January 2021

ok guys I think I might found the problem with the freezes. To Recap, I had freezes with my Formula V2 wheel on my DD1. Basically, in ACC, my wheel suddenly freezes. The Wheelbase is still working, FFB too, and pedals too. Everything is working except the wheel, where the display freezes and the button + paddle shift are not working. I tried with the McLaren V2 Wheel, same story after 15 min in ACC.

I also had this problem on the PC Driver 381, with all the latest firmware from this driver.

Now I put the Driver 380, downgraded only the Wheel base firmware to 679, and it does seem to work for the moment...I suspected the problem came from the Wheel Base as I have problems on different wheels. I do not see any hardware damage also..

Maurice, I do not know however if the problem comes from the PC Driver itself, or the Wheel Base Firmware... Anyway, I hope this can be useful for you as I see that others have still Freezes, despite the new Wheel Firmware V40.

I may also try to update to the latest driver, but still keeping the Wheel Base Firmware 679...

Thanks all

• A small noob question: Will the update of the V3 pedals stay active when I switch back to the RJ12 cable?

Or does it always needs to be connected via USB in order for the updated version to work?

(really like the new Firmware Manager, very good job!) :)

• Yes, it will still be active when you'll switch back to RJ12 :)

• thanks!

What an awesome update! The brake is now completely smooth simoular to the throttle and clutch.

Very good job!

edited January 2021

Retried 399 again today with F1 2020. After playing a few min (entering the game, running after a lap-ish), the formula wheel v2 continues to lose input signal and the display on the wheel says "caution: please update firmware". This is definitely new with 399. After I turn off and back on the wheelbase the issue disappears temporarily (until I repeat the sequence above again).

This discussion has been closed.